Effective Dates for Policy and Procedures Manual.

E

encee98

Greetings everyone. We are in the process of documenting our QMS. Should the effectivity dates of our policies (manual) and procedures manual be the same for our revision 0 documents? Our consultants say it should be.

Naomi

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: effectivity dates for policy and procedures manual

It doesn't really matter as long as you can show adequate control and correct status. Tell your "consultant" to fuss about more important issues.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: effectivity dates for policy and procedures manual

It doesn't really matter as long as you can show adequate control and correct status. Tell your "consultant" to fuss about more important issues.
Better yet, ask the consultant to drop into the Cove for a refresher on the basics and to update vocabulary to replace the controversial word "effectivity" with two words: "effective date."

AndyN

Moved On
Why even bother having an 'effective' date on the documents? Aren't the documents effective from when they're approved/released for implementation?

If not, then I'd suggest you get some help from your consultant to see why your document control procedure is taking so long! From the date of approvals to the date of implementaion shouldn't be more than a day or so, at most!

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Greetings everyone. We are in the process of documenting our QMS. Should the effectivity dates of our policies (manual) and procedures manual be the same for our revision 0 documents? Our consultants say it should be.

Naomi

Doesn't matter.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Why even bother having an 'effective' date on the documents? Aren't the documents effective from when they're approved/released for implementation?

If not, then I'd suggest you get some help from your consultant to see why your document control procedure is taking so long! From the date of approvals to the date of implementaion shouldn't be more than a day or so, at most!
Actually, I can think of several reasons why a revision of an existing text document or engineering drawing might have a future date for when it becomes effective. Here's just a few:
  1. Effective with NEXT production run - finish current run at current revision
  2. Work instructions for capital equipment on order
  3. Product waiting for regulatory approval (has nothing to do with revision level; everything to do with when it becomes effective and actionable.)

E

encee98

Thank you all. I'm afraid I followed the path of least resistance and just had both manuals reflect the same effective date. Lots of paper wasted, but in the course, changed the term "effectivity" to "effective."

Be well all.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Thank you all. I'm afraid I followed the path of least resistance and just had both manuals reflect the same effective date. Lots of paper wasted, but in the course, changed the term "effectivity" to "effective."

Be well all.

One last thought, those people who can read the manual on a computer do not need to have paper copies. It is permitted to just access it electronically. Saves a few trees...

Top Bottom