Effective FIFO (First In - First Out) - Materials Management

FIFO - First In First Out

• Yes - we have an effective bar code system implemented.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Yes - we have an effective system but no bar coding.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • We have a system but it doesn't work very well.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • We have a system but it doesn't work at all.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • We do not have a FIFO system in place.

• I'm a consultant and see it as an industry wide problem.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • I'm a consultant and DO NOT see it as an industry wide problem.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not a Consultant and see it as an industry wide problem

• Total voters

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Effective FIFO

How many of you have an effective FIFO system? How many do not? Who even has one to begin with?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Our barcode system is working extremely well for finished product.

Our raw materials system is another matter. I haven't decided if we're trying to use FIFO or FISH (First in stay here). (It's probably not really THAT bad??????)

Good poll, Marc. Our automotive customers (including 1 of the B3) have made comments to the effect of "Shows how well our FIFO system is working doesn't it?" (in respect to them finding an issue and setting that lot aside only to find out that the next lot they put at the line has an earlier mfg./ship date or lot number). I bite my tongue.

Bill

T

Technowitch

FIFO

We have an effective FIFO system using barcodeing all the way through the process from raw materials coming in to finished goods going out of the door.

Our customers are mostly Tier 1 JIT plants who supply into the OEM's and in my experience it can be "do as I say not as I do" on FIFO. We have had issues raised on parts supplied 6 months previously!

Our computerised barcode system is also very useful for controlling non-conforming product. Preventing it from gathering dust in corners forgotten!!

Marc,
We have FIFO & Barcoding with serial number traceability for our finished goods. We are presently working on barcoding for our receiving inventory.

Well....

Most of our products are unique and we keep minimal stock, so FIFO does not often apply here. When it does however, I feel that it works.

My previous job on the other hand was a spare parts depot, where FIFO played a major role. It worked most of the time. For a while there we benchmarked with a food industry. Oh boy, did they ever manage FIFO well. They had to, or they would have had a lot of rotten food on their shelves.

/Claes

WALLACE

Quite Involved in Discussions
I can only speak for my Ford location.
Most parts and stock arriving at the plant, come in through loading bays. The loading bays have a reading system that picks up a unique transmitted identifyer that is attached to or inside the parts and stock. This information is then loaded into a database of in-stock materials.
It's quite the high tec system. I've seen it at work and it works very well. The internal delivery drivers have a hand held PC device that links to the central database, allowing them to view incoming parts and stock levels.
This is further linked to assembly operator work stations that have an alert system for notifying the internal drivers of parts and stock requirements.
It's not the perfect system by any means yet, I have seen exponential improvements in the parts and stock managment while using this high tec FIFO system. The by-product of this system has caused management and employee acountability to be more measurable.
Wallace.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Our raw materials are used on a 'as-needed' approach. Reading the schedule, we tend to know which raw materials need to be in they bay asap, but the remainder sits in our yard until required.

Additional supplies are used on FIFO approach. No bar code, but stock is rotated so that the oldest material is used first.

Finished product is shipped on a 'as-needed' approach. Our schedule is developed based upon historical data and current Customer demand. But the product sits in the warehouse until released for shipment.

D

Dave Johnson

OPur system is very similar to Roxanne's. Component parts labeled with the traceability tracking serial number and date code received, oldest used first.

Our biggest problem is integrating our system with our suppliers. When we get a shipment of one component in, this shipment is identified by us with only one serial number/date code, but the shipment received often was manufactured by our supplier on different dates. (e.g. shipment received is 5 boxes: 1 box manufactured 9/2/2006, 3 manufactured 8/29/2006, 1 manufactured 9/6/06.

This can cause a real headache when we find problems with material. Has anyone else experienced this and found a way around this problem???

daj

P

pthareja

Do we still ponder over FIFO, if the systems have been well graduated to JIT (Just in Time) ?

Priyavrat Thareja

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M Informational TGA presentation: How to submit an effective good manufacturing practice clearance application Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Validation procedure, Major NC CAP - Equipment Validation process is not effective ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A Cost effective thread gaging with ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Root cause analysis - The system of developing a work instruction is not effective Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
T Effective Date on Documents 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
qualprod Effective Auditing advice needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
Q Simple and effective way to maintain Training Matrix ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
J If Corrective and Preventive Action were truly Effective IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
qualprod Risk closeout , mitigation was not effective, next? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
J Specific Actions where Timely and/or Effective Actions are not Achieved Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
Q Predating Document Effective Date Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 18
P Thai FDA postpone AMDD to be effective in 2020 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
S Sell a Non-RoHS device, manufactured before RoHs regulations became effective? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J What does "effective implementation of quality management system" mean? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
N What does an effective design process look like? (shoots flare in the air) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
M Corrective Action - For a corrective action to be effective, a change is required? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
R 5.4.1 Quality Objectives - Nonconformity: The process was not fully effective ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
R Training to Effective Documents - Transitioning to Agile Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Good Supply Practices that will be effective on March 1 2015 in China China Medical Device Regulations 2
Keith Childers IATF has posted new GM Customer Specifics, effective January 2015 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
B Medical Device Labeling - Order No. 6 Effective Oct 01, 2014 China Medical Device Regulations 7
R CFDA updated five regulations to be effective from October 1, 2014 China Medical Device Regulations 16
T Qualification System of Internal Auditors is not Effective General Auditing Discussions 5
A A Guide to Effective Internal Management System Audits Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
D Effective Date of updated SOP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Effective Date (of Documents) issue outlined in 21 CFR Part 820.4 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
P Effective way for DC/DC conversion for 2 MOPP @ 250VAC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Want best and effective solution for mouth infection Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
S New FAA Form 8130-3 Effective 2/1/14 - Unlocked version attached Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
P Effective Road Usage Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
H How to make the Design Review Process Effective Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
Q Effective 1st Piece Inspection Sign Off Procedure Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
QMMike What is the most cost effective SPC software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Y Delivering an effective and all inclusive EHS program in a Food company Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
F Suggestions for quick & effective solution for Continuous Improvement Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
T Very effective movie about clean-up - Tool for 5S Training Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
M AS 9100 4.2.4 Process for making changes to records is not fully effective Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
Q Process Approach & Continual Improvement Clauses and Evidence of its Effective Use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M 8.2.2 Internal Audit - Determination of Effective Implementation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Audit NC - Lack of Effective Corrective Action Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P Which Root Cause Analysis Method is the most Effective? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 16
J Cost Effective Solution for Isolating USB 5V 500mA Power IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Q Are ECO's closed after they are shown to be Effective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
V What are the Steps in Ensuring a Definition/Implementation of an Effective Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
P What is Effective Maintenance? Auditing a Maintenance Department Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
K Minimum Requirements for Effective Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
V Biggest bottleneck/hurdle in Implementation of Effective Design FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
ScottK When do you make your new or changed documents effective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
V 10 Characteristics of Effective Quality Management Systems Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2