Effectiveness of a manufacturing process?

P

PeterL

ISO/TS 16949 says in 8.2.2.2 "The organization shall audit each manufacturing process to determine its effectiveness". What does effectiveness mean here?

I'd say that a manufacturing process that delivers first quality product to the customer at the right price on time is effective. But this assessment is best made at management review and not during an internal audit of an individual process.

I'd welcome your opinions.

Peter

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
How do we know if the manufacturing process is effective as you say? What evidence would you show us?

Regards,

Kevin

P

PeterL

The evidence I would present depends on the definition of effectiveness of a manufacturing process. That's my issue. I'm sure ISO had a definition in mind, but did not attach a glossary to TS. As far as I know, there are no sanctioned interpretations for TS.

If I were to use my definition, I would look at all internal audits wholistically during management review and assess the effectiveness of the manufacturing process or processes.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Effectiveness?

I'd say that a manufacturing process that delivers first quality product to the customer at the right price on time is effective.
Pete, if the process delivers quality product to the customer, but each piece must be reworked two or three times, is it still effective? Or, would you consider it effective, but not effecient?

But this assessment is best made at management review and not during an internal audit of an individual process.
This is an interesting point. As in the case of 8.2.2.3, I'm not convinced the requirement is conduct either of these during the internal audits. I think they are just forms of internal audits. I base this on 8.2.2.3 where it states: “…at appropriate stages of production and delivery…”. To me this indicates that 8.2.2.3 replaces the old “dock audit” of QS. BTW, don’t look for any help in the IATF Guidance document all it says under this section is: “There are many approaches to analyse quality management system, product quality and process performance. In the context of the internal audit clause, internal audit for the organization should be independent of those having direct responsibility for the work performed. Personnel should not audit their own work”

It seems to me that what they are looking for here is some form of independent analysis of process effectiveness. This could be performed in the management review, but there needs to be some record of it.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Jim Wade said:

Isn't the effectiveness of a process measured purely and simply by the degree to which its outputs deviate from their planned objectives?

rgds Jim
Agreed. Wow, that's 3 times this week!:eek:

Not quite

Okay, what the heck.....................

Isn't the effectiveness of a process measured purely and simply by the degree to which its outputs deviate from their planned objectives?

I'm afraid you've got it backwards there Jim. I believe you have described the process ineffectiveness. Process effectiveness would be the degree to which its outputs are consistent with their planned objectives.

Not to split hairs, play semantics or anything. :bonk: :bigwave:

Effectiveness = Ability to achieve desired results.

Efficiency = Results acheived vs resources used.

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Folks,

We measure our manufacturing process effectiveness by using the following Key Business Metrics:

Internal DPMO
External DPMO
Sigma Rating
Line Plan Achievement
Labour Efficiency
Overtime
Rework / Sorting
Scrap

We also measure:

Process Yield
Machine Utilisation
Tooling Usage

Randy

Super Moderator
I like Sam's way of putting it (Semper Fi buddy). It's simple and not confusing. It can also be expanded, such as the way Geoff puts it, if necessary.

I'm going to adopt what Sam said in some of my training presentations.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Audit of the Manufacturing Process Effectiveness - 8.2.2.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Q Order Priority during Manufacturing - Audit Nonconformance (Effectiveness 7.5.1) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Quality, efficiency and effectiveness of daily work routines Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
V CAPA effectiveness check Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
N How to monitor the effectiveness of the CAPA system ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
qualprod ISO 9001 5.1.1 - How to measure System effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
qualprod Add new action plans in CA, while waiting effectiveness - Same problem reappears ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
qualprod Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C CMDR Essential (Safety & Effectiveness) Requirements Checklist? Canada Medical Device Regulations 9
J AQL for Effectiveness Check - What AQL tiers to use on this type of sampling? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
M Medical Device News FDA - Transformative new steps to modernize FDA’s 510(k) program to advance the review of the safety and effectiveness of medical devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
S Nonconformance to a Note in ISO13485 clause 6.2 Human Resources Effectiveness ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
J Recall Effectiveness - Accessory to Medical Devices shipped through Distributors Customer Complaints 3
qualprod To Evaluate Effectiveness in All Improvements? (ISO 9001:2015) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Corrective Action Effectiveness Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Uriel Alejandro Evaluation of the effectiveness of correction actions General Auditing Discussions 15
L Verifying training effectiveness for procedure changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Hot dogs and process operation and control effectiveness? 4.1.3 a) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S ISO 9001:2015 4.4.1 (c) Process Effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
M Effectiveness Measuring and Efficiency Measuring In ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A IATF 16949 - Non-conformity on 5.1.1.2 Process effectiveness and efficiency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S What are some ways to demonstrate Effectiveness of Training? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 29
B IATF 16949 Cl. 7.3.2 - Documented Process (Effectiveness & Efficiency) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
R Documenting Self-Training and Effectiveness - ISO 13485:2016 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
B Auditing Senior Management to determine the Effectiveness of Management Processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J Process Effectiveness and Efficiency (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 29
P Is ISO 9001 Model tested for its effectiveness by ISO before its release? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Do people read PEARS (Process Effectiveness Assessment Report)? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
B IATF 16949 Cl. 9.3.2.1 - Management Review Inputs - Process Effectiveness and Efficie IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Colin Effectiveness of IRCA Registered Training ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
R ISO 13485:2016 Clause 6.2 - Effectiveness Check ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Q Evaluating Effectiveness of a Preventive Action after Closure Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 7
M Training Effectiveness TS 16949 Clause 6.2.2c Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
Q Corrective Action Effectiveness also for correction? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
S AS9100C 8.2.2 - Selected Tools & Effectiveness of IA Process and Performance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Performance vs. Effectiveness - ISO 9001:2015 par. 9.1.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S How to Monitor Training Effectiveness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
Q Effectiveness Plan for CAPA initiated from External Audit US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Buckyb Are KPIs a requirement to determine Process Effectiveness? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
M Auditing ISO9001/AS9100 7.3 Design and Development Quality System Effectiveness Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
I Not having "effectiveness" in the Quality Policy ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Can OEE (overall equipment effectiveness) exceed 100%? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A Effectiveness of Risk Control Measures ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
M Where does OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) belong? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
R The Value and Effectiveness of In Process Inspection Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
L OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) and Cost Savings Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
G 510(k) Pre-market approval Application Requirements - Effectiveness of the product Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S ISO9001:2008 - Effectiveness Tracking for Nonconformance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Metrics on effectiveness of Customer Returns Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
J Reviewing Corrective Action Effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8