Effectiveness of Risk Control Measures

alimary15

Involved In Discussions
Hello everyone,

Section 6.3 of ISO 14971 requires that two types of activities are conducted:
1) Verify that risk control measures are implemented
2) Verify that risk control measures are effective to reduce the risk

Regarding the first requirement classical verification activities can be carried out. However I am having difficulties regarding the second point.

To assess whether a measure is effective It is my opinion one should perform validation. For example for measures that are addressing usability risks, then we can perform a validation to assess if these measures are actually working when the user is involved.

But what about safety-related measures, like software alghoritms or for example electrical specs?

How can someone really assess whether those measures are effective to reduce risk?

Your comments and experiences are much appreciated!

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
alimary15,

To assess the effectiveness of a risk control measure you need an objective for it. Then, if your organization controls the risk as specified and fulfills the objective it is considered effective.

So, when agreeing this risk control measure also agree the way it is to be done and what is to be achieved.

Yes, this also validates the design of the control measure provided you have input stakeholder requirements.

When you have effective risk control you may then focus on making it more efficient.

John

alimary15

Involved In Discussions
Hello John,
thanks for your reply.

What do you mean by objective? Could you please provide me with an example?

I will make you a software related example to clarify my doubt:

Hazardous Situation: Dose imported from wrong plan or from wrong patient

Probability/Severity before measure: Remote/Critical

Measure: The software shall indicate which plan the dose belongs to.

Probability/Severity after measure: Improbable/Critical

Test:

Is for each dose plan the
- plan name
- treatment planning system
- date and time
information shown?

So in the above example I have defined a measure and a test for it.

With the test I am basically verfying that the measure is correctly implemented. So for me this means a verification step.

However, how can I make sure that, with this measure in place the risk is actually going down to a rating of Imbropable/Critical?

How can i assure that such measure is therefore effective?

I am having big troubles in understanding this

Thanks!

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
alimary15,

Exactly how do you ensure "the software shall indicate which plan the dose belongs to"?

Commanding the software to do something is not a control measure.

The control measure is what is done to prevent the software from associating the dose with the wrong person.

Prevention is the key.

Also, the control measure may be low tech such as the patient marking which of their limbs is to be removed. Here the effectiveness of the control measure is determined by an absence of healthy cut limbs.

John

alimary15

Involved In Discussions
Thanks John,

I do see your point!

:thanx:

I will try to think more about a way to improve our approach and how to make more clear which objectives to use to assess the effectivess of the control measures.

I will post back If I will have more doubts about this

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S What does "Operational Review" mean as tool - Effectiveness of Internal Control Risk Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
V How to Measure Effectiveness of Risk Assessment Processes FMEA and Control Plans 7
R Rate the Effectiveness of Risk Management in the Medical Device Industry Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
C Quality, efficiency and effectiveness of daily work routines Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
V CAPA effectiveness check Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
N How to monitor the effectiveness of the CAPA system ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
qualprod ISO 9001 5.1.1 - How to measure System effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
qualprod Add new action plans in CA, while waiting effectiveness - Same problem reappears ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
qualprod Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C CMDR Essential (Safety & Effectiveness) Requirements Checklist? Canada Medical Device Regulations 9
J AQL for Effectiveness Check - What AQL tiers to use on this type of sampling? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
M Medical Device News FDA - Transformative new steps to modernize FDA’s 510(k) program to advance the review of the safety and effectiveness of medical devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
S Nonconformance to a Note in ISO13485 clause 6.2 Human Resources Effectiveness ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
J Recall Effectiveness - Accessory to Medical Devices shipped through Distributors Customer Complaints 3
qualprod To Evaluate Effectiveness in All Improvements? (ISO 9001:2015) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Corrective Action Effectiveness Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Uriel Alejandro Evaluation of the effectiveness of correction actions General Auditing Discussions 15
L Verifying training effectiveness for procedure changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Hot dogs and process operation and control effectiveness? 4.1.3 a) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S ISO 9001:2015 4.4.1 (c) Process Effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
M Effectiveness Measuring and Efficiency Measuring In ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A IATF 16949 - Non-conformity on 5.1.1.2 Process effectiveness and efficiency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S What are some ways to demonstrate Effectiveness of Training? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 29
B IATF 16949 Cl. 7.3.2 - Documented Process (Effectiveness & Efficiency) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
R Documenting Self-Training and Effectiveness - ISO 13485:2016 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
B Auditing Senior Management to determine the Effectiveness of Management Processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J Process Effectiveness and Efficiency (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 29
P Is ISO 9001 Model tested for its effectiveness by ISO before its release? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Do people read PEARS (Process Effectiveness Assessment Report)? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
B IATF 16949 Cl. 9.3.2.1 - Management Review Inputs - Process Effectiveness and Efficie IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Colin Effectiveness of IRCA Registered Training ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
R ISO 13485:2016 Clause 6.2 - Effectiveness Check ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Q Evaluating Effectiveness of a Preventive Action after Closure Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 7
M Training Effectiveness TS 16949 Clause 6.2.2c Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
Q Corrective Action Effectiveness also for correction? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
S AS9100C 8.2.2 - Selected Tools & Effectiveness of IA Process and Performance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Performance vs. Effectiveness - ISO 9001:2015 par. 9.1.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S How to Monitor Training Effectiveness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
Q Effectiveness Plan for CAPA initiated from External Audit US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Buckyb Are KPIs a requirement to determine Process Effectiveness? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
M Auditing ISO9001/AS9100 7.3 Design and Development Quality System Effectiveness Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
I Not having "effectiveness" in the Quality Policy ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Can OEE (overall equipment effectiveness) exceed 100%? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Where does OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) belong? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
R The Value and Effectiveness of In Process Inspection Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
L OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) and Cost Savings Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
G 510(k) Pre-market approval Application Requirements - Effectiveness of the product Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S ISO9001:2008 - Effectiveness Tracking for Nonconformance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Metrics on effectiveness of Customer Returns Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
J Reviewing Corrective Action Effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8