SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Effectiveness of Training... micro or macro?

A

adirondackman

We're having a little debate over how effectiveness of training is documented. Without question, each individual's records must show his or her competence level. But for effectiveness of training, does this need to be documented on an individual basis? Or can it be looked at from a higer level. For example, if we train our procedure on nonconforming product to everyone involved in the handling and disposition of it, do we need to go back and inividually establish the training was effect with each person? Or can we, based on audit results, observations, etc., establish if the training was effective or not for the organization in general?:thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

David DeLong

I have been presenting seminars for over 20 years and here is how I reflect training effectiveness.

After the training has been provided, I hand out a seminar appraisal sheet that I ask each person to fill out without their name. One of the questions would state "How would you rate your knowledge prior to training?". The participant would then rate it from 1 - 10 with 10 being an expert. The next question asked "After the training, how to do rate your knowledge now?". Again, there is a number rating from 1 - 10.

Invariably, the number is always higher after training. The group may have had an average rating of 3.5 coming in and 6.2 after the training. It is now "proof of the puddin" that the training has been effective and the appraisal sheets will now be maintained by the human resources department.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I have been presenting seminars for over 20 years and here is how I reflect training effectiveness.

After the training has been provided, I hand out a seminar appraisal sheet that I ask each person to fill out without their name. One of the questions would state "How would you rate your knowledge prior to training?". The participant would then rate it from 1 - 10 with 10 being an expert. The next question asked "After the training, how to do rate your knowledge now?". Again, there is a number rating from 1 - 10.

Invariably, the number is always higher after training. The group may have had an average rating of 3.5 coming in and 6.2 after the training. It is now "proof of the puddin" that the training has been effective and the appraisal sheets will now be maintained by the human resources department.
It's not proof of any kind, imo, and I'm not sure it's even a good indicator of effectiveness. The "proof of the puddin'" is trainee competence, not in filling out training evaluation forms, but in doing the job. Note that if you do pre- and post-testing you're closer to identifying effectiveness of training.

D

David DeLong

It's not proof of any kind, imo, and I'm not sure it's even a good indicator of effectiveness. The "proof of the puddin'" is trainee competence, not in filling out training evaluation forms, but in doing the job. Note that if you do pre- and post-testing you're closer to identifying effectiveness of training.
Ok Jim, how would you suggest handling training effectiveness?

D

Duke Okes

There are multiple ways of evaluating training effectiveness, and the approach used will differ depending on what the training is covering, who & how many people are being trained, the risks of failure of the training, why the evaluation is being done, cost of evaluation, etc.

Google 'Kirkpatrick' 'training' and 'evaluation'

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Adirondack, I think you probably have to use a little of both to get a good answer. Some training may be very effective, no matter who your audience is...is it because the training is so good or that the audience was ahead of the curve? Some training is not effective at all. Is it because it truly was a pitiful attempt, or was the training presented at the wrong time or to the wrong people. And so, sometimes you just combine the macro, and the micro and try to come up with the best results you can. One thing about looking at individuals, you may identify who learns best under what conditions to help you with your mix of training methods.

G

ggdjr

you didn't really ask me but i'll chime in anyway

we measure overhead in production.
we know how long it should take to make a product and we record how long it takes a batch to run.

after i implemented a 'lean-ish' type of approach, reviewed procedures and testing methods and changed what i saw fit.

after 2 month we reviewed overhead again to see if my training/ procedural changes were effective

they were, but of course upper mgmt. still wasn't satisfied but that's a whole different discussion

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
By observation of the trainees on the job? Like I suggested, pre-and post-testing can tell you something about whether the trainees know more about the subject at the end of the training than they did at the beginning, but the issue is competence.

In using the OP's example, if a group of people is trained on a process for handling NC material, and subsequent audits confirm that the process is being used properly, you have evidence* that (A) the training was effective and (B) the trainees are competent in that regard. The evidence of competence and effectiveness of training is in the actual work, not in the unsubstantiated claims of the trainees after training.

In direct answer to adirondack man's question, there are times when the higher-level view is appropriate, and others when you might want to take a look at individual performance. There's no rule that effectiveness of training must take place on a person-by-person basis.

*Evidence, not proof, mind you.

A

adirondackman

Maybe if I provide an example of what we're looking at, it'll be easier to answer. We recently did plant wide Foreign Object Detection (FOD) training. I can walk out in the shop right now and find evidence that people didn't get the importance of it. To document effectiveness, do we need to document on each individual's record whether the training was effective for them or not? Or is it enough to state that, as an organization, apparently the training wasn't very effective and we need to do something more.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Verifying training effectiveness for procedure changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S What are some ways to demonstrate Effectiveness of Training? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 29
R Documenting Self-Training and Effectiveness - ISO 13485:2016 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Colin Effectiveness of IRCA Registered Training ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
M Training Effectiveness TS 16949 Clause 6.2.2c Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
S How to Monitor Training Effectiveness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
Q Third Party Audit Nonconformance for Training effectiveness IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
M Effectiveness of Read-Only Training for Procedures Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
S Training Efficiency Assessment - Evaluate the Effectiveness (Clause 6.2.2 c) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
M How To Measure Training Effectiveness Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
D How to Measure QSR Training Effectiveness? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
somashekar Training Effectiveness across Participants ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Effectiveness of training? How to Measure Training Effectiveness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 51
S How to show that policies are properly communicated & Training Effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C Education vs. Training - Training effectiveness program ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
J Information regarding Competence and Effectiveness of Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 18
S Evaulation of Operator and Staff Training Effectiveness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
R Training Competency Verification - NCR related to Training Effectiveness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
S AS9100 - 6.2.2 - Effectiveness of training? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Evidence of Effectiveness of OJT (On the Job Training) - ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 24
R Need some information on Training Effectiveness Assessment Form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R 13485 6.2.2 c) "evaluate the effectiveness of the actions taken" (training) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R APQP and Core Tools Training how to Determine the Effectiveness of Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
S How do you evaluate effectiveness of training ISO9001 Section 6.2.2.c? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
M Training effectiveness measurement - 6.2.2 Competence, awareness and training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
B Training Effectiveness Evaluation - Different Styles - In-House and External Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
Raffy How can I demonstrate evidence and effectiveness of Corrective Action Training Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
M ISO 9001:2000 - Evaluating Training Effectiveness and Why ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Training Competency and Effectiveness Documentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 27
Raffy How do I measure Measuring Training Effectiveness? Performance evaluation? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 26
SteelMaiden Documenting Competency and Effectiveness of Training Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C Training Effectiveness: Simple format for supervisors to track and evaluate training Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
G Evaluating Training Effectiveness - 6.2.2 Competence, Awareness and Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 55
S Measuring Training Effectiveness - How do you measure Effectiveness? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 50
H Effectiveness and efficiency indicators ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Visual Inspection Effectiveness Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
M ISO14971:2019 - Verification of implementation and effectiveness of risk control ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
C Quality, efficiency and effectiveness of daily work routines Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
V CAPA effectiveness check Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
N How to monitor the effectiveness of the CAPA system ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
qualprod ISO 9001 5.1.1 - How to measure System effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
qualprod Add new action plans in CA, while waiting effectiveness - Same problem reappears ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
qualprod Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C CMDR Essential (Safety & Effectiveness) Requirements Checklist? Canada Medical Device Regulations 9
J AQL for Effectiveness Check - What AQL tiers to use on this type of sampling? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
M Medical Device News FDA - Transformative new steps to modernize FDA’s 510(k) program to advance the review of the safety and effectiveness of medical devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
S Nonconformance to a Note in ISO13485 clause 6.2 Human Resources Effectiveness ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
J Recall Effectiveness - Accessory to Medical Devices shipped through Distributors Customer Complaints 3
qualprod To Evaluate Effectiveness in All Improvements? (ISO 9001:2015) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Corrective Action Effectiveness Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5