Effort estimation guidelines - Software industry (Project Management)

M

meensy

Effort estimation guidelines in software industry

:bigwave:

In which process we should cover effort estimation (project management)?

Is it not mandatory to document this process for ISO 9001:2000? I feel considering the list of six mandatory procedures that it is not mandatory.

Can anyone tell few of the best ways to do effort estimation with / without using tools

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
Any takers on this one?

I guess my question is what do you define as a 'tool'? I have used many things from Microsoft Project to an Excel spreadsheet to plan and to track time and resources for a project. Is this what you are looking for?

M

meensy

Example: Function point analysis

Thanks marc,

I think i have not given sufficient information may be but i am not looking at project management tool We are a software company and every time while giving proposal we need to submit the effort in terms of time and resources and the cost of course.

Currently everyone uses the experience to estimate the effort needed. ....ultimately resulting into tight schedule and pressures

That is mostly we do effort estimation on adhoc basis. There are few tools i heard for e.g. function point analysis.

Now if anyone knows any other effort estimation tools can reply. Also i am interested in knowing that has anyone defined the separate process in QMS for effort estimation?

regards,

Govind

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Software Effort Estimation

Meensy,

I understand function point is one of the methods.
Function Point Analysis: Effort Estimation

There is also a BOK and Certification offered in this area:
International Function Point Users Group

Also Software Complexity is also taken into consideration.
Cyclomatic Complexity
The risk is indirectly translated into efforts to fix during coding and maintenance.

Many organizations use manual methods and Excel tools with easy measures like:
Number of Source line codes (KSLOC).

To summarize, here is a procedure from Treasury Board of Canada.
Estimate Software Product Size - Basic Procedure
Check it out.

Happy Holidays,
Govind.

Last edited:
B

Bill Pflanz

meensy said:
That is mostly we do effort estimation on adhoc basis. There are few tools i heard for e.g. function point analysis.
I understand that Carnegie Mellon is a leader in function point analysis. Try their web site and they have some description of it and other tools. I have read articles on its use but I have not seen it done in practice.

Function Point Analysis

To be successful in improving project estimation, you will need to develop discipline around getting everyone to record how long it takes to do each phase of the project. That may be a bigger hurdle than finding a way to collect the data and analyze it.

Bill Pflanz

M

meensy

Unavailability of past data

You are right...

Our company is 10 year old have done good amount of product and projects development...

But unfortunately we do not have good methods in place which will give us data to define our own effort estimation guidelines..

Collecting an actual data also has become big pain due to non availability of right / user friendly tool.

So in such case what we may do is based on industry experience built in few readymade effort estimation tools, will try to do our effort estimation.

Will check the details you all have given.

Thanks!

Regds,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
silentmonkey Rationalising the level of effort and depth of software validation based on risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
A Medical device Reporting : Good Faith Effort for Additional information Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Is it worth the effort to implement ISO 31000 Risk based on ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Software Engineering Effort Activities Software Quality Assurance 1
A How much effort is needed for Certification of Class II Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
F Should QA be Solely Responsible for the QA Plan or Should it be a Team Effort? APQP and PPAP 2
Q Old machine (Mitutoyo Qualimate DL-500) for SPC - Is it Worth the effort? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
N Question Re: Scope of ISO 9001:2000 effort ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A FDA won't take any action as long as you can show effort ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Level of Effort for TS16949:2002 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Gage R&R for effort required to actuate the horn switch with a load cell Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
M Sustaining the 5S (Five S) Program - What can I do to keep the effort ongoing? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
M Juran proposes new Q research effort Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 6
V Calculating project cost and effort - Is there any software available? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
F Issues in Uncertainty Estimation Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
C Uncertainty Estimation for Spark Optical Emission Device Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
K Estimation Sigma (Within) when subgroup n=1 (MiniTab) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
N Risk Severity Estimation for Medical Devices as per ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
M Standard Deviation Estimation Formula - Student Question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T Sample Size Estimation using Mintab 16 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Tolerance Estimation of a Load Cell I want to Calibrate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
R Procedure for Measurement Uncertainty Estimation for Electrical Measurements Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
S Uncertainty Estimation in Temperature Measurement by K type Thermocouples Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
S Software Risk Estimation: Probability of Medical Device Software Anomaly Occuring ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
S Type B Uncertainty Estimation - Accuracy and Calibration Error Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
F Reliability of a System - Estimation of R(t) having constant failure rate "Lambda" Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
R Calibration of Jensen JTM-30 clamp meters (estimation) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
BradM Uncertainty calculation - Estimation for a Mettler Toledo XP 56 balance at 20 grams Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
M Time frequency estimation for SPC data collection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M Quality estimation of one and an entire set of elements Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Design and Development Estimation and Offer - Sales vs. Engineers Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
B Rational Subgroup and Estimation of Variability Due to Common Causes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
K Cost Estimation of Sand Casting Process including the Pig Loss in estimation Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
Q Manufacturing Cost Estimation and Costing Procedures Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Point Estimation - I need to use the Quadratic Regression Model - Minitab 14 Using Minitab Software 6
M PFMEA Severity - What is Process FMEA Severity estimation based on? FMEA and Control Plans 77
S Estimation of uncertainity for Internal Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
T Estimation of MU for working thermometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
W MU - Type B estimation - Which distribution to use? Triangle? Rectangular? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R MEDDEV 2.12-1 rev 8 (Vigilance guidelines) still applicable with the MDR implementation? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
lanley liao Are there guidelines for application of all API monogrammal product? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
W Using tailoring guidelines to tailor a QMS procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Design and Manufacture Guidelines for Surface Mount Technology Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
M Informational Final guidance – GUIDELINES on the benefit-risk assessment of the presence of phthalates in certain medical devices covering phthalates which are carc Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S FDA Registration food facility - We operate under CGMP guidelines US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M Informational EU – 12th Meeting of the Working Group on Guidelines on benefit – risk assessment of Phthalates in Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Eudamed Data Exchange Guidelines Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Hearing on the SCHEER preliminary Guidelines on the presence of Phthalates in certain medical devices (Brussels, 04 April 2019) – Summary records Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
H Invalid ISO Standard / Guidelines - ISO 22301 BCMS and a local standard Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1