Egypt Medical Device Registration: Only required for Sterile Medical Devices?

3l5m4r

Hi-

Quick question: I've found some information on medical device registration in Egypt on this website.

A (local) customer keeps telling me that medical device registration is only required for sterile devices (which we currently don't intend to market in Egypt). I've found no such information on said website (or anywhere else), however.
(It could be stated somewhere in Arabic, but I don't speak Arabic.)

Can we go ahead and market our non-sterile devices without registration?

(I'd be glad, if you could back up your answer with (ideally official) sources.)

-el5m4r

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

sreenu927

Quite Involved in Discussions
In Egypt, the regulating authority is Ministry of Health (MoH). Under MoH, there are DPPC - Drug Policy and Planning Center and CAPA - Central Administration of Pharmaceutical Affairs.
Egypt follows EU Classification of Medical devices.
DPPC is responsible for reviewing and approving Class I, IIa and IIb medical devices. These products can be sold while registration is under review.
Class III medical devices are registered at CAPA and can be sold only after receiving approval. CAPA also manages Sterile , Single-use devices regardless of classification.
Hope this helps!

Regards
Sreenu

tibon74

Involved In Discussions
Hi all,

What are documents needed for class I, IIa, IIb and III products ?
How much time it takes to het the approval ?
Thank you!

In the US, and I believe in Europe as well, regulators require UDI registration of all medical devices regardless of sterilization. It does not seem logical that they would have Egypt set up differently. This is intended to be a global effort to combat supply chain problems.

I would not market a device without approval. it could be a disaster for someone, maybe you. They have the power to make you recall all items, or worse.

tibon74

Involved In Discussions
In US it is required for class II and III. For class I it will be in 2018. UDI is not required fur Europe (expected in the new regulation). and I do not think that it is required for Egypt
My question was what are needed documents to approve medical devices (all classes) in Egypt.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
My question was what are needed documents to approve medical devices (all classes) in Egypt.
Please refer to posts #2&3 above. I don’t believe you will find much more information online (other than, maybe, in Arabic), and so I think your best bet is a knowledgeable & reliable local.

tibon74

Involved In Discussions
Hi, the goal of this forum is to share information we have. I was able to get this kind of information for other countries thanks to Elsmar. The distribtors are not a reliable support. Their first goal is the business.
For your information, Eda site describs needed documents but a little bit confusing.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi, the goal of this forum is to share information we have. I was able to get this kind of information for other countries thanks to Elsmar. The distribtors are not a reliable support. Their first goal is the business.
For your information, Eda site describs needed documents but a little bit confusing.
That’s understood. Please let me clarify:

1. I was not protesting against your quest, nor trying to disuade you from looking / asking for this information. I merely expressed my feeling that in the current context Elsmar is already sort of depleted. This is based on my search for relevant threads, the number of people that have requested this kind of information here over the past years, and the almost complete lack of answers. I believe that if they were available they would have already been in our database. I know that it’s a little disappointing, given that more such information is available for other countries, but this database is in no way uniform. On some countries there is simply less information documented than on others.

2. I generally agree regarding distributors, but I wrote “knowledgeable and reliable local”, which doesn’t have to be a distributor. The important attribute is being Arabic (or Egyptian) literate. Have you tried to contact Emergo? What was the outcome, if you don’t mind sharing?

tibon74

Involved In Discussions
Thank you for your clarification. I agree that Elsmar was more efficient.
Emergo is very expensive (like other third parties) and should pay for everything

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Changing a Medical Device distributor in Egypt Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
R Clinical validation/investigation in Egypt - Medical Devices sevices that are not marked yet Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
X Egypt In Vitro Diagnostics Medical Devices Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
3 Egypt: Multiple Registrations of the Same Product Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
B Register's Ownership in Iran, India, Jordan, Arab Saudi, Egypt Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
C ISO17020 Required to ship disposable "coveralls/overgarments" into Egypt General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Egypt is calling - Some Information about Egypt Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
T How do you think Egypt looks like?! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 21
Marc Cats - Egypt to Today - Scourge or 'Friend'? Pls - No More Cat recipes! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 100
Y Possibility for Medical Device registration in Israel Regulation Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
U Does *anyone* know a lab that will test to EN 455-4 Medical Gloves shelf life determination? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Classification of USB DC operated medical equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M Medical Devices - Ancillary - ISO 10993-17 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
S How is the service life for class I reusable medical devices described in MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S How is the service life described for class I reusable medical devices in MDR? Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
M How does IEC-60601-1 apply to a non-medical device in the patient vicinity? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M Determining if an Insulin Pen Testing Machine is a Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Indian Medical Device Rules --Manufacturing and Whole sale Lic. Required ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
K Medical Device Repairs and ISO Scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Manufacturing plants relocation - Medical Device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
R Medical Device - Change manufacturing plant Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
M Brexit The Medical Devices (Amendment etc.) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020 UK Medical Device Regulations 1
P New Global HQ Suggestions for Virtual manufacturing/own brand labelling of medical devices? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
shimonv Classification of a cloud- base viewer for the output from a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
A FDA guidance on non-sterile Medical Device Packaging Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
N Chemical Testing on Medical Devices - Solutions in a container closure system (bag) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Is IEC 60601-1-2 required by FDA for all electronic medical devices? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A Medical device Mode Of Action CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
P Best Global Option to become an OBL/PLM/Virtual medical device brand in 2020 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
rob73 UK Medical Device Regulations Forum - UK MDR Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 3
S Philippines CMDL (Certificate of Medical Device Listing) Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
M Subcontracting a repair of Medical Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
J 21 CFR 821 Medical Device Tracking Requirement 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Regrind Material in Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Iraq Medical Device registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Class IIB Medical Device Accessories - OTS Tablets Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
R Product Recall - medical devices in the hospital warehouse Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
T Clinical evaluation of a new medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Medical software Patient outcome Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
P Monolithic application and medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
7 Iraq Medical Device Chemical Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J UCLA extension Medical Device Engineering Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
Q Storing and developing SAMD (Software as a Medical Device) in the Cloud IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
N Medical Devices in oxygen rich environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
M Medical Devices Shelf Life ---INDIA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3