Electrical Devices Calibration

L

Luis Alves

Hi
Can anyone indicate where can I find a list of the calibration standars related to the calibration of electrical device such as ammeters, volmeters wattmeters anda varmeters?

tanks in advance

Luis Alves

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
You've asked a rather broad question. There is a wide rage of standards required to calibrated what I normally refer to as "Panel/Switchboard Meters". Perhaps one of the better general purpose standards that would cover a lot of them is a Fluke 5500A calibrator. There is a newer model Fluke calibrator that has a higher current range. And so as not to appear to be selling calibrators, Datron also makes an equivalent. For higher current and power ranges of wattmeters, etc, Rotek, I believe is a brand name well known for high power calibrations.
For doing voltmeters, ammeters, the methods are pretty simple. But for doing wattmeters/varmeters, Phase meters, etc, you'll need either a calibrator with two sets of outputs that are phase locked, or you will need two calibrators that can be phase locked together. As for procedures/methodology, some of the three-phase meters get pretty complicated, and you will need detailed methods for the connections.

I don't know if this fully answered your question. If not, please feel free to email me, and I'll be happy to try.

D

David Guffey

Where are the technical manuals for that equipment? The Tech Lit should reference the standards needed to perform calibration.

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm not certain what panel meters need calibration, but it is not uncommon on single function meters (especially one brand name of meter installed in another brand of equipment) not to have manuals or calibration instructions. Typical examples such as GE, Westinghouse, Simpson, etc.. single fnuction meters. If the meter is a stand alone measurement instrument, it should have something. But in the case of installed panel meters, documentation isn't always as complete. It just depends on the mfr. I have even called the mfr on some brands, and they were not able to give me a calibration procedure. The best resource for such procedures that I've seen in GIDEP (Government Industry Data Exchange Program). They have literally tens of thousands of calibration procedures (or more). Their web address is http://www.gidep.org). BUT-- (a big but;no pun intended), you have to become a member, and membership requires that your company currently does government contract work.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 16 December 1999).]

Top Bottom