Electrical Devices Calibration

L

Luis Alves

Hi
Can anyone indicate where can I find a list of the calibration standars related to the calibration of electrical device such as ammeters, volmeters wattmeters anda varmeters?

tanks in advance

Luis Alves

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
You've asked a rather broad question. There is a wide rage of standards required to calibrated what I normally refer to as "Panel/Switchboard Meters". Perhaps one of the better general purpose standards that would cover a lot of them is a Fluke 5500A calibrator. There is a newer model Fluke calibrator that has a higher current range. And so as not to appear to be selling calibrators, Datron also makes an equivalent. For higher current and power ranges of wattmeters, etc, Rotek, I believe is a brand name well known for high power calibrations.
For doing voltmeters, ammeters, the methods are pretty simple. But for doing wattmeters/varmeters, Phase meters, etc, you'll need either a calibrator with two sets of outputs that are phase locked, or you will need two calibrators that can be phase locked together. As for procedures/methodology, some of the three-phase meters get pretty complicated, and you will need detailed methods for the connections.

I don't know if this fully answered your question. If not, please feel free to email me, and I'll be happy to try.

D

David Guffey

Where are the technical manuals for that equipment? The Tech Lit should reference the standards needed to perform calibration.

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm not certain what panel meters need calibration, but it is not uncommon on single function meters (especially one brand name of meter installed in another brand of equipment) not to have manuals or calibration instructions. Typical examples such as GE, Westinghouse, Simpson, etc.. single fnuction meters. If the meter is a stand alone measurement instrument, it should have something. But in the case of installed panel meters, documentation isn't always as complete. It just depends on the mfr. I have even called the mfr on some brands, and they were not able to give me a calibration procedure. The best resource for such procedures that I've seen in GIDEP (Government Industry Data Exchange Program). They have literally tens of thousands of calibration procedures (or more). Their web address is http://www.gidep.org). BUT-- (a big but;no pun intended), you have to become a member, and membership requires that your company currently does government contract work.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 16 December 1999).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Are Electrical Laparoscopic Surgical Devices ME equipment? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
M Informational USFDA – Medical Devices; Anesthesiology Devices; Classification of the Ventilatory Electrical Impedance Tomograph Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Room requirements for electrical tests in devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
F Declaration of Conformity with Electrical & Electronic Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Electrical Safety Markings for Medical Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
SteveK UK Test Certification Houses for Electrical Medical Devices ? Multiple Standards Test Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
C Do all Class 1 Medical Devices (Electrical) have to comply with IEC60601-1? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
S Anvisa & INMETRO - Registering Non-Electrical Medical Devices in Brazil Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
I Medical Devices and the WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) Directive ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
A Regulatory requirements for electrical cosmetic appliances US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
JoCam Mobile Patient Hoists and Electrical Testing Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
JoCam MDL in Canada without Canadian Electrical Testing Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
J FDA wants electrical safety testing on battery powered medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
J EN61010 Electrical Withstand Test IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 0
L IEC 62368-1 / Electrical Energy Source vs. Power Source? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
P Scope of application for IEC 60601-1-11 Medical electrical equipment — Part 1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
F Electrical Metrology (Source/Generation and Measurement) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B Marking of Medical Electrical equipment and accessories - Cl. 7.2.2 "Identification" and Cl. 7.2.4 "Accessories" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
rezayatmand IEC 60601-2-18 Medical electrical equipment - Part 2-18: Particular requirements for the basic safety and essential performance of endoscopic equipmen IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Electrical Safety During Medical Device Development IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Routine testing of medical electrical systems - What specific electrical safety tests should be performed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
D CB Certificate - Distributor for a product with electrical components CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
P Electrical Wiring Colours in Electrical Panel (Possibly EN 60446). Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
M Interesting Discussion Curious old drawings about electrical shock and safety IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
P CE Marking EN ISO 13849-1: Electrical Panel behind interlocked doors CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
A True purpose of doing EST (Electrical Safety Test) on medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S IEC 60601-1 Electrical safety testing - Dielectric Strength Test - 8.8.3 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
J IEC 60601-1 Electrical Safety testing - Class 1 ME externally powered - Earth resistance testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Multiple socket-outlets - Medical Device Electrical Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
G Electrical Safety standard for medical device not covered by IEC 60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
O EMC - EFT (Electrical Fast Transients) on SIP couples erroneously with other cable CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Is a 3V torch classified as medical electrical equipment needing EMI/EMC testing? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R Electrical contact resistance testing in MIL-DTL-5541 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C Electrical Power Plant Supply failure in PFMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 10
E Electrical safety (battery-powered medical device) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
JoCam Medical Device that is class II electrical and IEC 60601-1-11 EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T Requirements and standards for medical custom Electrical Connectors EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Difference between Medical Electrical Equipment and Medical Equipment System IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J CE Marking Requirements and IEC 60617 - Electrical Schematics Symbols CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
L Medical Device Electrical Safety Standards - Gap Analysis of Latest Revisions Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
L Canada Electrical Equipment Marking Language Requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
F Power Cord Length Issue - Medical Device Electrical Safety IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J Pneumatic & Electrical Torque Tool - Calibration/Verification of 'Power Tools' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Electrical and Electromechanical Product CE Compliance with various Directives CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 22
S WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) and Diabetes Consumables RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
K Mandatory Electrical Safety Tests - Regular Production Line IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
V Suggest Packing Instructions for Electrical Control panel Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
V Production Documents for Electrical/Electronic OEM Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
L Electrical Class (Class I, II & III) vs. Medical Device CE marking Class I, II & III ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3