Electromagnetic Compatibility Test IEC 60601-1-2: 2014

Kuldeep Singh

Involved In Discussions
Hi Everyone,

I have query related to IEC 61000-3-2 (Harmonic Emission) and IEC 61000-3-3 (Flickering emission) under IEC 60601-1-2: 2014 . We have single phase machine (230V +/- 10VAC) with Fuse rating 20 A i.e Max current consumption may be 20 A.

So Will these tests applicable to our device?

I am in doubt because these tests were applicable only for equal to or less than 16 A but in our case it is 20A so may be not applicable to us. But it is also applicable to single phase 220 V or more and our device fall in this category.

1567590368719.png

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kuldeep Singh

Involved In Discussions
Hello

We are performing internal lab tests on our class II medical products which includes Electrostatic discharge test (IEC 61000-4-2) . There are some doubts in my mind related to this tests which were

1. What type of test shall be performed on painted part? Contact discharge or Air discharge as paint is considered as non metallic part?
2. Our production line using plastic caps on metallic part . Then how should we perform the tests on that part.
After removing the cap and then contact discharge on metallic part or Air discharge on plastic cap?

Your help will be appreciated

Pads38

Trusted Information Resource
I would suggest that in both cases you mention the air discharge tip should be used.
On a painted panel you may get discharge through the paint or at the edge of the panel where metal may be exposed.
Keep the caps on - if that is 'normal' use. But probe around the bottom of the caps and you may get discharge to the underlying metalwork.

Jaydub

Involved In Discussions
Are you declaring the paint to be insulation?

IEC 61000-4-2 states:
"In the case of painted surfaces covering a conducting substrate, the following procedure shall
be adopted:
If the coating is not declared to be an insulating coating by the equipment manufacturer, then
the pointed tip of the generator shall penetrate the coating so as to make contact with the
conducting substrate. Coating declared as insulating by the manufacturer shall only be
submitted to the air discharge. The contact discharge test shall not be applied to such
surfaces."

Kuldeep Singh

Involved In Discussions
Thanks Jaydub , Thats what i want to know. It clears all my doubts related to painted surfaces.

Would you please also help me for my query related to plastic cap issue under thread #4 pt 2.

Jaydub

Involved In Discussions
Are the metallic parts covered by the plastic caps accessible in normal use? If the user would remove the caps to use the device, then I would remove them and test with contact discharges. If they are normally left on then I would test with air discharges.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E IEC 60601-1-2 compliance for accessories - Electromagnetic compatibility of the ME system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
F EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Conformity Charts - IFU Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
K Interpretation of IEC 60601-1-2 Electromagnetic Compatibility – Requirements & tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
R How to deal with the RM requirement of clause 17 Electromagnetic Compatibility? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
B Should EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Testing be performed In-House CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
J EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Requirements - IEC 60601 3rd edition Clause 17 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R Quality Assurance procedures for EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Compliance CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
W EMF (Electromagnetic Field) in the Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Marc Riding the Electromagnetic Wave of the Future World News 4
A CE Marking for Electromagnetic Clutch and Brakes CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A How do we get CE Mark certification for our products - electromagnetic clutch & brake Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
T How do I measure Electromagnetic Field - Employee with Pacemaker Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 13
T Submitting MR Compatibility Data for 510(k) Cleared Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
A Compatibility between MDD and MDR devices EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Testing an equipment for MRI Compatibility Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
K Class II Medical Device Compatibility Issue - Removal or Market withdrawal? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Compatibility of a Class II exempted accessory with a Class III device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Plastic Compatibility tests with the contact of mucous membranes Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
B Titanium Implants MR (Magnetic Resonance) Compatibility Labeling US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J ISO 10993 (Biological Compatibility) Approved Materials US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 23
Y MRI Compatibility - Electrical Device with a Video Display Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Compatibility and Analogues Materials US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Materials Compatibility in ISO 8185:2007 - Respiratory Tract Humidifiers IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
R Electrosurgery Emission Compatibility - Patient monitoring equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
somashekar Material Compatibility - PVC (halogenated polymers) and Santoprene (TPE) Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D Definition What does cultural compatibility mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
S Construction Projects - Client & contractor - System compatibility issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
kedarg6500 "Cultural compatibility" EFQM excellence model Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
4 Design help needed - Isoflurane compatibility with polymers - Anesthesia gas Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
S ISO14001 and TS16949 "Compatibility" vs. Audit Day Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
E MSA for Push and Pull test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Z IEC 60601-2-25; Frequency response test Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Confusing on Harmonic Emissions/Voltage Fluctuations/Flicker test for CISPR 11 Class A Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Routine production tests - dielectric voltage withstand test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D Test Method Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N IEC 60601-1-1 - Stress test, reference voltage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
E Mentor for Test Method Validation (TMV) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
L ASQ's Biomedical Auditor Course Test ASQ - American Society for Quality 1
W Regarding Requirement for Hi pot & Leakage Current test Station Set-up IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
R Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) prep - Practice test versus actual exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
R SAT (System Accuracy Test) temperature according to AMS2750E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
D Test summary report example for design validation wanted - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Documenting Design Verification Test Results (ISO 9001) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
A Earth leakage current test for Permanently installed Large scale MEE IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
A Bench test report translation to English for 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
J Production Line Test Brasil - High Voltage Dielectric Strenght Test Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1