Electronic Assembly Design FMEA (DFMEA)

T

twobits

Hi,

I’ve been asked by my boss to implement a FMEA review into a new design. The product is an electronic assembly consisting of 4 Circuit Card Assemblies (some based on old designs, some are new), a back plane and housing. I’ve compiled a review scoring sheet but I’m currently not sure of the best way of carrying out the FMEA. My queries are:-
1. Do I carry out a FMEA against each sub-assembly or just the completed product
2. When carrying out the FMEA, does each individual component have to be reviewed for failure modes? Some circuit cards have up to 2000 components, although majority are resistors and capacitors. Or can we split the circuit card up to functions and address the failure modes of that circuit function.
3. Does any one have any examples of a FMEA for an electronic assembly please

Any comments or guidance will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi,

I’ve been asked by my boss to implement a FMEA review into a new design. The product is an electronic assembly consisting of 4 Circuit Card Assemblies (some based on old designs, some are new), a back plane and housing. I’ve compiled a review scoring sheet but I’m currently not sure of the best way of carrying out the FMEA. My queries are:-
1. Do I carry out a FMEA against each sub-assembly or just the completed product
Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave: :bigwave:

You can start with a System FMEA followed by Sub-system FMEA's.

2. When carrying out the FMEA, does each individual component have to be reviewed for failure modes? Some circuit cards have up to 2000 components, although majority are resistors and capacitors. Or can we split the circuit card up to functions and address the failure modes of that circuit function.
You can perform Component FMEA for families of components.

3. Does any one have any examples of a FMEA for an electronic assembly please?
Search the "Post Attachment List" here at The Cove Forums.

M

manuuee

I was searching for the example of FMEA analysis but i couldn't found it...and i didn't found the Post Attachment List indicated into the topic.
Can you help me?
Thanks a lot!

M

Murphys Law

If I was you, I would make it as modular as possible: Do a DFMEA on the product (You are a bit late in the development process to be doing it IMO) and a PFMEA on the manufacturing process.

For the PFMEA, I recommend to split it into each manufacturing step and do a sub-PFMEA on each process step. If you have a control plan, use that as your basis for assessing the process steps.

One thing is a true FMEA should a team effort. It should not be produced by Quality alone. Quality can facilitate it but the FMEA should be owned by a functional owner. For example, a process engineer. You should also involve manufacturing personnel as they best know their processes and failure modes.

For a Design FMEA, in my world we run two levels of DFMEA: A technology level FMEA that goes across products and then a local product DFMEA that addresses items local to the new design not addressed in the technology FMEA.

We tend to produce DFMEAs for Automotive devices. For commercial devices, we do a "risk assessment" which is essentially a cut down FMEA without the cumbersome quirks of a true DFMEA. We use Excel to do this. For your application, you may want split this into your respective modules/piece parts or do it by categories such as Supplier / board assembly / System mount/ Test.

For our manufacturing processes, we do PFMEA regardless of whether it is an ISO or TS16949 line. The PFMEAs are now pretty much in sustaining mode run by the factories.

Z

Zbigniew Huber

Hi,

I?ve been asked by my boss to implement a FMEA review into a new design. The product is an electronic assembly consisting of 4 Circuit Card Assemblies (some based on old designs, some are new), a back plane and housing. I?ve compiled a review scoring sheet but I?m currently not sure of the best way of carrying out the FMEA. My queries are:-
3. Does any one have any examples of a FMEA for an electronic assembly please

Hi.

Ad.1.
It depends. If your team designed entire system (including cards) then yes.

Ad.2.
IMHO ? it is not necessary to go down into each part individually. It may be treated as ?blocks? (like power supply circuit, blocking capacitors circuits etc.) Split into functions.

Ad.3.
I do not have such DFEMA in English - sorry.

I suggest:

Prepare System-FMEA (SFMEA) first (top level D-FEMA of the entire system with housing, backplane and cards. The cards and backplane are ?sub-systems? of your system.

Prepare boundary diagram with major blocks (cards, housing, cables, backplane, connections to external systems, environment influence, operator/user interactions

Use Interface matrix to identify relationships between each sub-systems and between subsystems and environment and user.

For each item (sub-system) define functions (what the subsystem should do/provide/ensure/prevent. Take ideas form:
- customer requirements
- legal requirements
- manufacturability requirements
- industry standards like IPC-2221
- requirements form "interfaces" between sub-subsystems (from interface matrix).
- customer usage

When functions are defined then define failure modes (as non-fulfillment of functions) and continue with rest of the DFMEA columns.

For SFMEA the cause of the failure will be a ?sub-system? failure or environment or user misuse. Example:
- Function: Maintain data transfer at temperature ranges 0C-70C
- Failure: Data corruption at elevated temperatures
- Cause1: Temperature inside the unit above 70C due to fans failure (subsystem failure).
- Cause2: Operator covered the fans with foreign objects (user misuse)

As next step:
For each card and backplane ? prepare ?sub-system DFEMA? where card failures (failure modes) listed as causes in SFMEA have own causes where sub-circuits or discrete components failures are identified as causes.

Note that for DFMEA you should focus on ?design related causes? like ?part with lower power rating SPECIFIED etc. Consider manufacturing process as correct.

Best Regards,
Zbigniew

S

SmallBizDave

I've been successful doing FMEAs on complex products by defining the target failure modes by starting strictly from the specifications. Typically we'll have less than, say, 50 specifications for a product that might have multiple circuit cards and thousands of components. This helps focus the FMEA on things the customer cares about.

We look at each spec and consider the various ways the product might be caused to go out of that spec. Those become the failure modes to look into. While this is a system level FMEA it is not uncommon for the investigation to delve down to the subassembly level pretty quickly, so I don't know that it's realistic to define it as a system level or subassy FMEA necessarily. It accomplishes the mission.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sagai CE Marking for Electronic Assembly Kit CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A AS9102 for Electronic Circuit Card Assembly that contains COTS Components AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
K Electronic Work Instructions for the Operators during Assembly Work Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J International Standard for SMT and Electronic Assembly for Luminaire Product Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
T Electronic Assembly Test Plan Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P What is Reliability? We supply an electronic assembly to the automotive industry Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
M Electrical Assembly Standards - IPC-A-610 "Acceptability for Electronic Assemblies" Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
A Cpk, Cmk in Electronic Assembly (Process Capabiity) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
K Is implementing Electronic Signatures a Significant Change to the QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Question on electronic signatures and initials on batch records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
H Electronic care product on patient bed side - Flammability requirements (62368-1) Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 0
blackholequasar Price Gouging? (Electronic components) Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
H Prodigit DC Electronic Load - Drawing current but showed 0 on the screeen Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Design Control - Management of Electronic CAD files Design and Development of Products and Processes 14
M Correcting Electronic QMS Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Electronic forms QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
S Reporting REACH - Electronic components distributor REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
K ISO 13485 and compliance of electronic signature ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M MDR - eIFU - When you can supply an electronic IFU instead of a paper IFU EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Advice on capturing electronic signatures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
C Shelf life electronic components 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C Cleaning of electronic transmitter Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
D Preservation of Electronic Data / Information Technology ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Is IEC 60601-1-2 required by FDA for all electronic medical devices? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Anonymous16-2 21 CFR Part 11 - Steps to take if we want to validate an electronic system Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
R Electronic and hand-written footnotes for GDP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A 21 CFR part 11 - section 11.100 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
qualprod From paper to Electronic (records) in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S FDA's E submitter - For clinical electronic thermometer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
J Integrity of electronic digital records - Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Electronic ECO/ECR Process - Software recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational EU – DSVG 03 – Cardiac Implantable Electronic Devices (CIED) – Guidance on the vigilance system for CE-marked medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Benefits of electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 5
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Providing Regulatory Submissions for Medical Devices in Electronic Format – Submissions Under Section 745A(b) of the Federal F Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Electronic handwritten signatures for approvals - Signed with a Stylus or a Finger Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
WEAVER Electronic Weighing Scale Calibration Tolerance Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S ISO 10993 Biocompatibility Evaluation - Electronic thermometer Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
P FDA inspections and electronic signatures Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S Need Assistance in Visual Inspection - Tiny electronic components AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
G Looking to move to an electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 11
QIE Electronic IFU - new project, need input Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
U Electronic templates for making paper control charts Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Informational USFDA – Radiological Health Regulations; Amendments to Records and Reports for Radiation Emitting Electronic Products; Amendments to Performance Stand Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P Electronic component failure analysis turnaround time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
W Part Change Request - Standard (OTS) electronic parts (resistors, capacitors etc.) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C In cases where users of an electronic system change their names Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
A How a test flow can be build for a car electronic sunroof control Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
M Electronic signature - name.lastname or equal to handwritten Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
N Electronic Instructions for use (eIFU) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Electronic Signature - Certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8