Electronic Documentation Systems - Security, Approval and Editing

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I've watched this thread with considerable interest.
Some responses:

SECURITY
The best way to secure documents over the Intranet is with network facilities: either using your web server's security features, or restricting write access to the directories in which the documents are filed. We try not to use Word documents: HTML and PDF formats are much smaller and create consequently less network traffic. The rule is: if it's only going to be accessed on-line, use HTML; if it's also going to be printed, use PDF.

EDITING
With HTML software so easy to use, it's easiest to convert the files into HTML, and when satisfied, delete the Word files: that way, you only have one version of the file (therefore no version conflicts), and any links you create in the HTML file aren't lost on re-exporting from Word. Don't, for heaven's sake, use Word to edit the HTML files: it's a dog of an HTML editor and produces the worst HTML imaginable. PDF is not an editable format, so any editing must be done in Word, and then the final document exported into Acrobat and bookmarks added, if required.

APPROVALS
The simplest method of ensuring appropriate approval is to discipline the posting process by restricting write access to the directories to those responsible for the document. Then, when the document is altered, if the revised document is online, it can only be because it has been posted (i.e., authorised) by the responsible person). Control is by the logic of the process, not elaborate digital signatures or similar.

Best Regards
Edwin Humphries

------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:39:50 -0500
Subject: Re: Web Based QMS /../Humphries/Pfrang

I like Edwin's suggestions, as well as a few others that have been posted, because they address the important issues related to Intranet use without going overboard. Some people have the mistaken idea that Intranet use demands all sorts of extreme procedures for document security, editing and approval. In fact, unless the firm has (or is likely to have) a widespread problem with employees deliberately falsifying documents, the firm should do just fine with a minimal document control system (electronic- or paper-based) that merely prevents accidental tampering.

In other words, the level of document security, editing and approval depend more on the character of the firm and whether it has (or is likely to have) forgery problems than on whether the firm chooses paper or an Intranet as its document storage medium. If the firm has no forgery problems with paper documents, then switching to electronic media should require no significant new procedures for document security, editing and approval.

-- Doug

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bryan

I was reading some of the posts for electronic documentation. I did not see anything that could answer my questions.
I would like to ask 2 questions along this line. We are going to a full electronic system, meaning procedures and work instructions on line with each department responsible for assuring the current copy is posted, (pdf file) at this time. First, does ISO require us to keep a original Hard copy? And second, if a hard copy is not required, is it just a matter of how we define/document how we will do electronic approvals/signatures ? (is this allowed for ISO)
Thanks for any input you can give.

Bryan

R

Roger Eastin

No, you do not need hard copies (I assume this means paper copies). Electronic signatures are great if you can confirm that the person who's responsible for review/approval are responsible for the signature. For instance, you have an e-mail message stating that the document is reviewed /approved by the responsible person. I'm sure there are other approaches, but something like this works.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Bryan,

This is what I am doing.

We are going to an electronic system, but I need to maintain approval signatures on file.
I keep a hard copy of the procedure in my "records" file along with a cover sheet listing all the documents released and all the required approval signatures.

Hope that helps a little.

CarolX

L

lyman

Bryan:

The company I work for also has an electronic document system including electronic approvals. Our system is set up such that each document has an on-line Index which includes identification of the "Owner" of the document. Our electronic approval document requires that the "Owner" be the first signature sign-off and identifies all the other required signatories by title. When the document(s) hit our Doc Sys Group all they have to do is cross reference the Index to verify that the "Owner" has approved the document revision. The Index eliminates the need for us to keep a separate approval file. Our Level 2 document describes our system and indicates that this is the method we use to ensure compliance with ISO element 4.5.3. So far our Doc Sys Group and the system has been one of the consistent favorites of Third Party and Customer auditors.

R

rrramirez

I can convert your quality manual to e-books without the need of Acrobat or any other program.

1- No, you are not required to keep a har copy, however, your registrar may request that you keep one controlled copy; just to give them that warm fuzzy ...

2- Develop a document control procedure for electronic media just as you would for hard copy , no difference.

A

Arun Kumar

Hi Ali,
In the long run, Laura' suggestion may not work. Please visit us at www.omnex.com. We have some unique solutions for ISO and QS documentation control.

Regards,
Arun

D

Don Watt

Hi,
It's actually Comic Relief (otherwise known as red nose day) here in the UK - raising money for under priveliged children in Africa & the UK.

From the postings today it looks like it may also be "give a plug to Omnex day"!!!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N How is documentation affected moving to an electronic system? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
D Electronic Paperless Documentation Software Discussion Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
W Physician Documentation System vs. Electronic Medical Record 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
T Is Electronic Documentation Authorization Acceptable? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
G Slow electronic documentation system - Seeking advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Moving to a Paperless Electronic Documentation System - Seeking Ideas Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 45
S FDA's E submitter - For clinical electronic thermometer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
J Integrity of electronic digital records - Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Electronic ECO/ECR Process - Software recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational EU – DSVG 03 – Cardiac Implantable Electronic Devices (CIED) – Guidance on the vigilance system for CE-marked medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Benefits of electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 5
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Providing Regulatory Submissions for Medical Devices in Electronic Format – Submissions Under Section 745A(b) of the Federal F Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Electronic handwritten signatures for approvals - Signed with a Stylus or a Finger Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
WEAVER Electronic Weighing Scale Calibration Tolerance Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S ISO 10993 Biocompatibility Evaluation - Electronic thermometer Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
P FDA inspections and electronic signatures Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S Need Assistance in Visual Inspection - Tiny electronic components AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
G Looking to move to an electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 10
QIE Electronic IFU - new project, need input Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
U Electronic templates for making paper control charts Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Informational USFDA – Radiological Health Regulations; Amendments to Records and Reports for Radiation Emitting Electronic Products; Amendments to Performance Stand Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P Electronic component failure analysis turnaround time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
W Part Change Request - Standard (OTS) electronic parts (resistors, capacitors etc.) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C In cases where users of an electronic system change their names Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
A How a test flow can be build for a car electronic sunroof control Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
M Electronic signature - name.lastname or equal to handwritten Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
N Electronic Instructions for use (eIFU) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Electronic Signature - Certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
I GMP 21 CFR Part 11 Electronic Records Compliance Project Help Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
M Medical Device News FDA News - 12-09-18 - MD Submissions to Electronic Format to Improve Efficiency Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Q Real Time Electronic SPC/Control Charting Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Suggestions for Electronic Signature Software (FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
L Inspection Process for Electronic Parts from Brokers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
K EQMS question - Implementing an electronic QMS to support ISO 13485:2016 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
W ISO 14155 - Electronic clinical data systems - Definition Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D 21 CFR Part 11 - Electronic Signature Management SOP Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
G Auto electronic signature on Calibration Form ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S FDA electronic submission gateway (ESG): FAILED eMDR Submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
G What's your favourite method of Electronic Folder Filing? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M How to get an electronic version of IATF 16949:2016 which is Searchable IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J Quality Testing for Tea, Electronic Noses and Such Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
L Sources for Searching Old Electronic Parts Specs (Counterfeit Inspection) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
R Electronic (Online Database) Calibration Records General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R IEC 60601-2-18 Endoscopic Medical Electronic Equipment question IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
I How much does an eQMS (Electronic/Software QMS) cost? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
P Moving from a Paper based Quality System to an Electronic Quality System Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
M ISO 13485:2016 - IQ/OQ Requirements applicable to Electronic Component Suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) and Diabetes Consumables RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
F Declaration of Conformity with Electrical & Electronic Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Electronic Device History Record (eDHR) Software Recommendations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1