Electronic Maintenance Records stored in a machine

A

azuker

Hello,

My question is regarding maintenance records. If a machine alerts an operator that a preventative maintenance task is required, the operator performs the tasks and the machine resets itself, is a handwritten log still required? What if the machine stores a history of performed maintenance tasks? If those records can be shown to an ISO auditor, is that acceptable, or must you also keep a written "log" of when, what and who?

I have been looking for help in this area and have not found anything definitive yet. Any knowledge of this situation is appreciated!

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

drgnrider

Quite Involved in Discussions
Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

Our Preventative Maintenance reminders/records are on an e-mail type calendar. We enter what was done and any other notes. Our auditor has accepted it.

One other issue to be aware of: What is the "records recovery" process just in case the machine dies? Are there back-ups? If so where are they maintained?

P

PaulJSmith

ISO 9001 doesn't specify what media type you must use for your records. It leaves that up to you ("Note 3 The documentation can be in any form or type of medium."). It only requires that they be "...legible, readily identifiable and retrievable." If your records in the machine meet these requirements, then there should be no problem.

As noted above, though, back-ups are always a good idea.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
The other thing to consider:

What about items that are not part of a system alarm? For example, once a year you want to change out your coolant (machine shop). The machine does not track this as a record does it?

Some of the things on our maintenance records (some of them at least) are:
1. Pull chuck or collet nose, clean and replace (this is because we have had to replace whole draw bars due to collet noses never being pulled and over time will not come off.
2. Check nitrogen counter balance (Haas VF1's use a nitrogen counter balance and if it gets low, causes the head to drop onto the table---not something fun to walk into the morning).
3. Clean/replace air filter's around the machine.

These are some examples that the machine alarm codes will not (as far as I am aware) track.

Golfman25

Why do things twice? That is a sure fire way to "ruin" your system in the eye's of employees. No reason to over complicate it.

Michael_M

Why do things twice? That is a sure fire way to "ruin" your system in the eye's of employees. No reason to over complicate it.
Not sure if this was addressing what I had written or not. If it was:

I am not sure what type of machines the original poster was referring to, but in the machine shop I am at, turning on the machine in the morning triggers an alarm (which goes into the maintenance record). I was also pointing out that some events that would be beneficial are not tracked by machine alarm codes (at least the ones I work(ed) with).

If the original poster is just looking for something to appease the auditor, that was well answered by others before me. If the original poster was looking for reasons to do it one way or another way, I was pointing out some deficiencies in the machine alarm record.

I am not a fan of having 'data' that has no purpose other than to exist for the auditor (seems like busy work to me). I want data/records to be of benefit to the company (or a requirement of the customer).

Golfman25

Not sure if this was addressing what I had written or not. If it was:

I am not sure what type of machines the original poster was referring to, but in the machine shop I am at, turning on the machine in the morning triggers an alarm (which goes into the maintenance record). I was also pointing out that some events that would be beneficial are not tracked by machine alarm codes (at least the ones I work(ed) with).

If the original poster is just looking for something to appease the auditor, that was well answered by others before me. If the original poster was looking for reasons to do it one way or another way, I was pointing out some deficiencies in the machine alarm record.

I am not a fan of having 'data' that has no purpose other than to exist for the auditor (seems like busy work to me). I want data/records to be of benefit to the company (or a requirement of the customer).
My point is that if the machine says "hey dude, I need maintenance" and the guy does whatever the routine maintenance calls for and resets the machine, asking him to fill out a piece of paper may not be all that useful. What people dislike about "quality" is a lot of meaningless forms, logs and other paperwork. IMO, you should be hesitant to add extra forms/logs to something that is already being kept electronically.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
We are a small but growing shop and this is something I try to be careful of. I don't want to over burden us with paperwork or paint us into a corner. My initial goal has been to minimize our paperwork requirements until we find we have to keep a record of something, whether from an auditor or whatever.

I'm not sure how long that will work but I'd like to avoid building into a large and unnecessary document department. I've noticed one of our customer's, which is a huge company, does a lot of things they don't have to and I'd like to avoid that down the road.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crusader Preventive Maintenance - Electronic Records Deleted/Erased OR Are Records Required? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 62
D FDA Compliant Electronic Records - Requirements, definitions, maintenance and archive Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
Anonymous16-2 21 CFR Part 11 - Steps to take if we want to validate an electronic system Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
R Electronic and hand-written footnotes for GDP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A 21 CFR part 11 - section 11.100 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
qualprod From paper to Electronic (records) in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S FDA's E submitter - For clinical electronic thermometer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
J Integrity of electronic digital records - Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Electronic ECO/ECR Process - Software recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational EU – DSVG 03 – Cardiac Implantable Electronic Devices (CIED) – Guidance on the vigilance system for CE-marked medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Benefits of electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 5
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Providing Regulatory Submissions for Medical Devices in Electronic Format – Submissions Under Section 745A(b) of the Federal F Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Electronic handwritten signatures for approvals - Signed with a Stylus or a Finger Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
WEAVER Electronic Weighing Scale Calibration Tolerance Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S ISO 10993 Biocompatibility Evaluation - Electronic thermometer Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
P FDA inspections and electronic signatures Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S Need Assistance in Visual Inspection - Tiny electronic components AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
G Looking to move to an electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 10
QIE Electronic IFU - new project, need input Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
U Electronic templates for making paper control charts Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Informational USFDA – Radiological Health Regulations; Amendments to Records and Reports for Radiation Emitting Electronic Products; Amendments to Performance Stand Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P Electronic component failure analysis turnaround time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
W Part Change Request - Standard (OTS) electronic parts (resistors, capacitors etc.) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C In cases where users of an electronic system change their names Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
A How a test flow can be build for a car electronic sunroof control Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
M Electronic signature - name.lastname or equal to handwritten Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
N Electronic Instructions for use (eIFU) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Electronic Signature - Certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
I GMP 21 CFR Part 11 Electronic Records Compliance Project Help Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
M Medical Device News FDA News - 12-09-18 - MD Submissions to Electronic Format to Improve Efficiency Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Q Real Time Electronic SPC/Control Charting Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Suggestions for Electronic Signature Software (FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
L Inspection Process for Electronic Parts from Brokers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
N How is documentation affected moving to an electronic system? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
K EQMS question - Implementing an electronic QMS to support ISO 13485:2016 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
W ISO 14155 - Electronic clinical data systems - Definition Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D 21 CFR Part 11 - Electronic Signature Management SOP Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
G Auto electronic signature on Calibration Form ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S FDA electronic submission gateway (ESG): FAILED eMDR Submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
G What's your favourite method of Electronic Folder Filing? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M How to get an electronic version of IATF 16949:2016 which is Searchable IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J Quality Testing for Tea, Electronic Noses and Such Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
L Sources for Searching Old Electronic Parts Specs (Counterfeit Inspection) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
R Electronic (Online Database) Calibration Records General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R IEC 60601-2-18 Endoscopic Medical Electronic Equipment question IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
I How much does an eQMS (Electronic/Software QMS) cost? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
P Moving from a Paper based Quality System to an Electronic Quality System Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
M ISO 13485:2016 - IQ/OQ Requirements applicable to Electronic Component Suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) and Diabetes Consumables RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
F Declaration of Conformity with Electrical & Electronic Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2