Electropolishing Validation of Orthopedic Parts - What OQ parameter range

We’re a contract manufacturer and now we're doing a EP validation for different type of materials.
We have 440A, 420B, 17-4, 455, 304, 316.

We never get formal input from our customers. So my intension is to define two validation purpose, one is the surface roughness is reduced, and the other is corrosion resistance (ASTM F1089).

I understand some customer requires to test cytotoxicity. I don’t want do it, because I have a wash process to remove manufacturing material after EP. and cleaning process will be validated. Or is there any other purpose of cytotoxicity of EP that I did not see?

Also some customer will have dimension removal requirement, for example the dimension change is no more than 0.0006 inch. Don’t want to that either unless specifically required by customer. Because required dimensions on the print will be measured after EP and in final inspection. Although it will be an more solid evidence to show EP capability is stable…

As for parameter for OQ and PQ, I have time, temperature, and voltage.
My biggest question is how do you choose those parameters for different material and product.
I mean normally we have one validated range of above parameters for all material. Or is there someone using different parameter range for different materials or product size?

My problems is, during EP OQ challenge test, I found “time” varies a lot on different material and product (size of product).
For example, for a 5mm diameter drills made of 420B, it takes 20 seconds to remove deburrs and have corrosion resistance layer. But it takes about 1 minute for a 12mm diameter drill made of 420B. And for a 5mm diameter drills made of 17-4, it only needs 5 seconds, and it got burned if putting a 17-4 in EP solution for 1 minute.

Does anybody have any suggestion on what parameter range do you use for OQ?
Do you have a large range on those parameters?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

Karishma

HI,

I think for each material it needs to define OQ & PQ parameter range separately, that's why "change in material" is also a process re validation trigger.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Electropolishing of 316TI Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Procedure for Validating Laser Marking & Electropolishing of Orthopedic Implants Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 13
A Has anyone implemented the Adobe Acrobat Sign Validation Pack to be 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Test Method Validation - ISO Standards Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J API Q1 - 5.7.1.5 - Validation of Processes for Production and Servicing Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
A Validation Plastic Injection Molding Process protocol ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Use of statistical techniques for Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M Risk-based approach to Test Method Validation for Design Verification? US Medical Device Regulations 4
K Design: Verification Vs Validation And Validation Vs Transfer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
C Medical Device Gamma Irradiation Validation per VDmax25 (ISO 11137) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
A Human Factor Validation Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 4
B Verification and Validation of calculations (FEA) in OCTG components. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
B Validation of FEA Analyses in Oil&Gas Industries. There are a lot of guidelines for other activities. There is a similar proposal for O&G? Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
K Analytical Method Qualification Vs Validation expectations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C. Tejeda Process validation of rework assembly methods (medical devices) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
B Validation of design for valve api 6d 25 edition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
P Validation for RUO (Research Use Only) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Hi , everyone i need a procedure for validation of design prototype api 6d (valve manufacturing) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
Ed Panek Validation of Signature Software (Off the shelf) US Medical Device Regulations 4
Q Combining Validation Protocol & Report into 1 template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K ISO 17025 Method Validation and Verification for Test Lab ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
S Environment Monitoring System Validation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
B Supplier Evaluation report - Validation required or not ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Cleaning Validation of components Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P Validation Methods of Machine learning and Artificial intelligence Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 10
M How to respond to 483 validation finding we disagree with? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 33
I Cryogenic Container Closure Integrity for HCT/P, Validation Method US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
G Mfr. Process Validation BEFORE Design Transfer? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
G Injection Molded Parts in Verification & Validation Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
B Spreadsheet - Used for complaint investigation - Validation required or not ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
T Vacuum Heat Treatment Validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Root Cause and Corrective Action for CAPA's lacking validation/verification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
M Software Validation SAP B1 for ERP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
V Retrospective validation medical devices Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
P Software validation for FPGA Software Quality Assurance 1
I Are suppliers required to hand over process validation reports? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
N Computerized System Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
M 3D Scanner Software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
E Cybersecurity for Internal Tool Validation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
B Transport Validation For Non-sterile Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Software Validation Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
G Pad Printing Validation OR Verification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A ETHYLENE OXIDE STERILIZATION VALIDATION Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C. Tejeda Computer system validation approach for Minitab Statistical software Software Quality Assurance 11
D 8.5.1.2 Validation and control of special processes requirements for Heat Treat External Processor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Performance Qualification and Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L ISO 11607-1 Packaging system validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
John C. Abnet ...validation of computer software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
D Machine rebuilds versus process re-validation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Cloud-based SaMD Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8