Electrosurgery interference equipment requirements

A

Ana792

Hi all,

We want to test the electrosurgery interference according to the standard 60601-2-27 section 202.6.2.101. According to the test a HF surgical equipment with working frequency of 400 kHz ± 10% is required. However, the HF surgical equipment we have available has a working frequency of 300 kHz. What is the reason behind the frequency requirement in the standard?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Pads38

Trusted Information Resource
Hi Ana,

If you check the rationale for that clause (in the informative annex AA) it states -
There is no ideal test method to generate electrosurgical interference in a test laboratory but the ones given...has been shown to give similar results to ...surgical practice and to be reproducible.
(I only have the outdated 2006 version - so this may have been altered).

The specifications given are there to try and create a reproducible test - always a significant issue in EMC testing, especially so for elctrosurgical interference.

So can you use a 300kHz generator instead of a 400kHz unit?
I think that this depends on what you hope to achieve by your testing.

If you are doing "pre-compliance" testing as part of your development work, then I would suggest the 300kHz unit could be used and could give strong confidence (90% +) that your device copes with the interference. Then, when you do the full compliance tests with a 400kHz unit you are unlikely to have any 'nasty surprises'.

If you are doing an in-house test programme to prove compliance I might suggest that a 'strong positive' test result form the 300kHz unit would be sufficient, but with the deviation of test equipment clearly noted in your test results.

However, if you are hoping to get full certification by one of the internationally recognised test houses, and use their test mark, then I would expect that they would only accept test results using a 400kHz test unit.

Welcome to the forums!

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K FDA 510k electrosurgery 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
R Electrosurgery Immunity Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
R Electrosurgery Emission Compatibility - Patient monitoring equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M Informational US FDA – Programmable CSF Shunts and Magnetic Field Interference with Implanted Hearing Devices – Letter to Health Care Providers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Using Gage Pins - Inside diameter - Interference fit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Y We found out we have been using a equipment without validation for past 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
I Equipment service dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Missing measuring equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
A Looking for a third party to calibrate our measure equipment - South Carolina General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D New Equipment form / template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
W Protective earth for Class I ME equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D DQ documents of new equipment - Function specification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
R MSA studies for Heat Treatment Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
J Class Fixed ME Equipment (US Deviation) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
P Manufacturing equipment (e.g.: Dental Welder): medical device or not? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Infrastructure: Equipment, Work Environment and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Are Electrical Laparoscopic Surgical Devices ME equipment? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Definition of "Critical Laboratory Equipment"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T How to “validate/qualify” a new measurement equipment? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Software validation in Medical Equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 20
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Handling of contaminated medical equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
T Confirming The Local Safety Regulations for Equipment - I'm in Malaysia General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B IEC 60601 Cl. 8.4.3 - ME EQUIPMENT intended to be connected to a power source by a plug / Plug discharge IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Y Packaging validation for non-sterile Medical Equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
E Equipment Qualification - IQ/OQ per ISO 13485:2016 section 7.5.6 Process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A Contraindication Safety Statement in website - Radiotherapy equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
B What is 'equipment'? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K USB DC operated medical equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F Faulty Equipment and ISO 17025 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N New (Upgraded Technology) vs Existing Equipment - Measurements Shift Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
G Is impact test according to IEC 60601-1 applicable for HAND-HELD equipment if also classified as BODY-WORN? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
S Maintaining Equipment Records - We use a manual system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
P Scope of application for IEC 60601-1-11 Medical electrical equipment — Part 1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
C Does ISO 9001-2015 have a requirement for manufacturing equipment to be numbered? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Which pieces of equipment require equipment validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Validation of existing equipment - Risk based approach example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4