Electrosurgery interference equipment requirements

A

Ana792

Hi all,

We want to test the electrosurgery interference according to the standard 60601-2-27 section 202.6.2.101. According to the test a HF surgical equipment with working frequency of 400 kHz ± 10% is required. However, the HF surgical equipment we have available has a working frequency of 300 kHz. What is the reason behind the frequency requirement in the standard?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hi Ana,

If you check the rationale for that clause (in the informative annex AA) it states -
There is no ideal test method to generate electrosurgical interference in a test laboratory but the ones given...has been shown to give similar results to ...surgical practice and to be reproducible.
(I only have the outdated 2006 version - so this may have been altered).

The specifications given are there to try and create a reproducible test - always a significant issue in EMC testing, especially so for elctrosurgical interference.

So can you use a 300kHz generator instead of a 400kHz unit?
I think that this depends on what you hope to achieve by your testing.

If you are doing "pre-compliance" testing as part of your development work, then I would suggest the 300kHz unit could be used and could give strong confidence (90% +) that your device copes with the interference. Then, when you do the full compliance tests with a 400kHz unit you are unlikely to have any 'nasty surprises'.

If you are doing an in-house test programme to prove compliance I might suggest that a 'strong positive' test result form the 300kHz unit would be sufficient, but with the deviation of test equipment clearly noted in your test results.

However, if you are hoping to get full certification by one of the internationally recognised test houses, and use their test mark, then I would expect that they would only accept test results using a 400kHz test unit.

Welcome to the forums!

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N 60601-2-34 Electrosurgery interference Test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
K FDA 510k electrosurgery 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
R Electrosurgery Immunity Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
R Electrosurgery Emission Compatibility - Patient monitoring equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M Informational US FDA – Programmable CSF Shunts and Magnetic Field Interference with Implanted Hearing Devices – Letter to Health Care Providers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Using Gage Pins - Inside diameter - Interference fit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
H DIN 12880:2007-05 Clause 7.2 Test Equipment Description CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
B Painted surface of a protective Class I equipment. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K What are the differences between the certificates required for home and medical medical equipment? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
B ISO 13485 Qualification of R&D Equipment Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
R EU 2017-745 - Dental Equipment CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
T Need advice on what inspection equipment to buy. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q What is considered "Multimedia equipment" (60601-1-2 section 7.1.3) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
V Is it required to recalibrate reference- standard instruments after equipment qualification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
armani Monitoring and measuring equipment for occupational health and safety purposes Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
P Type of MSA study according to measurement equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Rene Minassian Control of (TMME) Testing and Measurement Equipment Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
M Cameras and Visual Inspection Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
JoeRandom11 Question about Customer Supplied Equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C Equipment IQ and OQ ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
D PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in the UK CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
D Recommendations for equipment used to validate cold storage units General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T PFMEA vs MFMEA or DFMEA on equipment/machinery FMEA and Control Plans 19
E Brass in medical equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
G QSB+ : capability of measurement equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
M Gage R&R automated test equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
G Developing our custom test methods and test equipment US Medical Device Regulations 5
E Compressed air quality in ME equipment (used in OR) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M ISO 17025:2017 Clause 6.4 - Measuring Equipment Validity ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
W Strategy for determining which components from a system should be "ME EQUIPMENT" -- home healthcare environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
M Do i need to have equipment validation if 100% testing is completed? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
K Brazil (INMETRO) for Medical Electrical and IVD Equipment? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Y Creating Equipment qualification protocol Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
R Suggest modern equipment/instrument for plastic bottle inspection? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
S Certification of equipment after move General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
B Building my own measurement equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Process Capability - Determining the process capability of certain equipment Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
W Classes and Applied Part IEC60601 Electromedical Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A PPAP Alternate Equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Q Measurement Equipment Revocation - Looking for a Disposal Form with Risk Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
E Comparison of Personal Protective Equipment Standards EN 14605 vs GB24539 and ISO 13982 vs GB 24539 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 0
E Comparison of Respiratory Protective Equipment Standards (China Standard Compare with EU standard of EN149 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
M Calibration of equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P 7.5.10 Customer property - applies to leased/rented equipment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Class I Equipment with mobile power inverter IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
U Calculate acceptance of equipment reading after calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
W Equipment Bracketing Approach US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
H Still having trouble as to what equipment falls under 8.5.1.1 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1