Electrosurgical Device User Need: Cord Flexibility -> Requirement

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
Cord flexibility was identified as user need for electrosurgical device. I get it, but am having trouble translating that into a requirement that can be verified or validated. Maybe there's an electrical engineering standard I'm missing. Can someone provide suggested requirement wording?

Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Pads38

Trusted Information Resource
Perhaps a bit obscure and OTT, but the pacemaker standard (I think this is from EN 45502) has requirements for lead flexibility.
Sorry I can't quote at the moment as I am stuck at home without access to the standard.

The requirement is based on bend radius under specified load. If I remember correctly, take a sample of the lead and hold at a 45 degrees upward angle. Measure the internal radius of the 'droop'. A truly flexible lead will droop almost totally.

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
Perhaps a bit obscure and OTT, but the pacemaker standard (I think this is from EN 45502) has requirements for lead flexibility.
Sorry I can't quote at the moment as I am stuck at home without access to the standard.

The requirement is based on bend radius under specified load. If I remember correctly, take a sample of the lead and hold at a 45 degrees upward angle. Measure the internal radius of the 'droop'. A truly flexible lead will droop almost totally.
Thank you! This is very helpful.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
This sounds like straight-up usability (62366), IMO, and could be validated in a summative study. Obviously, before you get there, you'd do formative studies to ensure that the flexibility met their usability needs.

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
This sounds like straight-up usability (62366), IMO, and could be validated in a summative study. Obviously, before you get there, you'd do formative studies to ensure that the flexibility met their usability needs.
Yes. The formative studies suggested that we may want something more flexible than the current, and it will be evaluated as part of the summative. That said, I guess it's really the translation from user requirement to product requirement to product requirement where I'm struggling. If possible, I'd like to verify at a component level prior to summative study.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Clinical Evaluation Template for an Electrosurgical Device or Accessory Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N Electrosurgical generator with switchable sockets - creepage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
W Electrosurgical devices/surgery IFU contraindications EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Electrosurgical Electrodes - Stability Test Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S Defibrillator Requirement for ME Equipment connected to HF Electrosurgical Generator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K IEC60601 3rd Edition Insulation Thickness for electrosurgical devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
A Accuracy for electrosurgical analyzer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
W EN 61000-4-4:2004 Compliance - Electrosurgical Unit Transient Voltage Pulse EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Electrosurgical Testing - Is there a specific standard for Electrosurgical Testing? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M Classification rules for Canada - Electrosurgical and Cryosurgical Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
K Medical Device Repairs and ISO Scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Manufacturing plants relocation - Medical Device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
R Medical Device - Change manufacturing plant Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
K Multiple function device products EU Medical Device Regulations 0
O Clarifying FDA definition of "finished device" and “capable of functioning” 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
shimonv Classification of a cloud- base viewer for the output from a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
A FDA guidance on non-sterile Medical Device Packaging Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
Aliken Fluoride sustained-release device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K Advertising and promotion of device under investigation China Medical Device Regulations 1
A Medical device Mode Of Action CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
P Best Global Option to become an OBL/PLM/Virtual medical device brand in 2020 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
E Manufacturers should develop a testing device for covid19 Service Industry Specific Topics 0
rob73 UK Medical Device Regulations Forum - UK MDR Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
S Philippines CMDL (Certificate of Medical Device Listing) Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
C Combination Products - Distributor of the device? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
J 21 CFR 821 Medical Device Tracking Requirement 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Is Device Tracking Card an actual requirement under FDA regulation? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
N Drawing tolerance vs. Measurement device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Iraq Medical Device registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Class IIB Medical Device Accessories - OTS Tablets Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
C GUDID Device record history Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
K Doubt on insulation class of a device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
dgrainger Informational UK guidance on Device regulation from Jan 2021 published UK Medical Device Regulations 19
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M EU MDR - Labilities when a device is discontinued from the Market EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Work performed in Canada on US patients using US device Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
T Clinical evaluation of a new medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Beliz Biocompatibility Testing for Laser Epilation Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Packaging device with accessories already on the market Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
7 Iraq Medical Device Chemical Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J UCLA extension Medical Device Engineering Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
Q Storing and developing SAMD (Software as a Medical Device) in the Cloud IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
A How to make sure whether the predicated device is marked with EC certificate? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
shimonv FDA News FDA guidance on Multiple Function Device Products (8/2020) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1