Electrosurgical Device User Need: Cord Flexibility -> Requirement

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
Cord flexibility was identified as user need for electrosurgical device. I get it, but am having trouble translating that into a requirement that can be verified or validated. Maybe there's an electrical engineering standard I'm missing. Can someone provide suggested requirement wording?

Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Pads38

Trusted Information Resource
Perhaps a bit obscure and OTT, but the pacemaker standard (I think this is from EN 45502) has requirements for lead flexibility.
Sorry I can't quote at the moment as I am stuck at home without access to the standard.

The requirement is based on bend radius under specified load. If I remember correctly, take a sample of the lead and hold at a 45 degrees upward angle. Measure the internal radius of the 'droop'. A truly flexible lead will droop almost totally.

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
Perhaps a bit obscure and OTT, but the pacemaker standard (I think this is from EN 45502) has requirements for lead flexibility.
Sorry I can't quote at the moment as I am stuck at home without access to the standard.

The requirement is based on bend radius under specified load. If I remember correctly, take a sample of the lead and hold at a 45 degrees upward angle. Measure the internal radius of the 'droop'. A truly flexible lead will droop almost totally.
Thank you! This is very helpful.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
This sounds like straight-up usability (62366), IMO, and could be validated in a summative study. Obviously, before you get there, you'd do formative studies to ensure that the flexibility met their usability needs.

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
This sounds like straight-up usability (62366), IMO, and could be validated in a summative study. Obviously, before you get there, you'd do formative studies to ensure that the flexibility met their usability needs.
Yes. The formative studies suggested that we may want something more flexible than the current, and it will be evaluated as part of the summative. That said, I guess it's really the translation from user requirement to product requirement to product requirement where I'm struggling. If possible, I'd like to verify at a component level prior to summative study.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Clinical Evaluation Template for an Electrosurgical Device or Accessory Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N Electrosurgical generator with switchable sockets - creepage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
W Electrosurgical devices/surgery IFU contraindications EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Electrosurgical Electrodes - Stability Test Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S Defibrillator Requirement for ME Equipment connected to HF Electrosurgical Generator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K IEC60601 3rd Edition Insulation Thickness for electrosurgical devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
A Accuracy for electrosurgical analyzer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
W EN 61000-4-4:2004 Compliance - Electrosurgical Unit Transient Voltage Pulse EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Electrosurgical Testing - Is there a specific standard for Electrosurgical Testing? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M Classification rules for Canada - Electrosurgical and Cryosurgical Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
shimonv FDA guidance on Multiple Function Device Products Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
O ANATEL certification of Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
B MDR equvalent device - can you use a medicine as an equivalent 'device' EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems (7-2020) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
K Is UDI (Unique Device Identifier) symbol mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Legal Manufacturer Medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Device functionality over service life - Objective evidence required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
F How to register class I device to all European Competent Autorities(CA) when we are European manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Sterile barrier system symbols - Label redlines for a Class III device (Kit Box) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Shall a new UDI-DI be required when stand-alone software device's version is updated? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A Legal Manufacturer of a medical device Vs Legal Manufacturer of MDSW EU Medical Device Regulations 7
T Loaded spring device - Active medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Does Pakistan Medical Device Import License allows parallel import? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
K China Medical Device Labeling requirements - Language China Medical Device Regulations 3
F Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Technical File Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Sample Agreement available for Outsourcing Medical Device Design activity? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
dgrainger Informational EU medical device website change from 'Growth' to 'Health and Food Safety' (6/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Requirements for an MDD approved device after 26/05/2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
F When to market and distribute device in EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B How to classify a medical device based on MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Software as Medical Device (SaMD) definition and its applicability Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
F Labelling requirements for a medical device containing fragrance allergens EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Watchcat Best Regulatory Oversight for Off-Shore Device Manufacturing? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Watchcat ISO 13485 for IVD (In-vitro Diagnostic Device) Manufacturers? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Medical device Reporting : Good Faith Effort for Additional information Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
F UDI Registration - Who is responsible for Registration of the Device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
A Medical Device Vigilance decision tree for Japan for class 2 devices. Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
I How to classify a medical device based on FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M IEC 60601-1 1988 - Device developed in 2012 with standard of 1988 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Shipment of a CE Approved Class III Device to the EU Member States Other US Medical Device Regulations 1