Eligibility to get a IATF 16949 certificate for a Tier N>3 supplier?

Rameshwar25

Quite Involved in Discussions
Items like gases, oils, coolants and other consumables are not considered as 'part' by IATF.
I believe we fall in the category "bulk materials" at least!
Bulk material is that which is used to make 'parts' for an automotive vehicles. These are raw materials like sheets, bars, plastic granuals etc. Any consumable gas is not bulk material.

noratkhen

Starting to get Involved
Items like gases, oils, coolants and other consumables are not considered as 'part' by IATF.

Bulk material is that which is used to make 'parts' for an automotive vehicles. These are raw materials like sheets, bars, plastic granuals etc. Any consumable gas is not bulk material.
Hi Rameshwar, what do you mean by "items like gases, oils, coolants and other consumables are not considered as 'part' by IATF"? I thought the two choices were "part" or "bulk material". What is a gas used to deposit chemical elements that become part of the semiconductor which goes in the control system that goes in the car (for the purpose of implementing APQP and PPAP, which our customers requires from us)?

Rameshwar25

Quite Involved in Discussions
Text from Rule Book:
"
Only manufacturing sites where production, service parts, and/or accessory parts that shall be mechanically attached or electrically connected to the vehicle are manufactured and supplied to automotive customers are eligible for IATF 16949 certification"
My interpretation is as following:
The part is an item which is either mechanically attached or electrically connected to the automotive vehicle. Since gases, lubricants, coolants and other such items neither are mechanically attached nor electrically connected, they do not fall into category of 'parts'.

noratkhen

Starting to get Involved
Text from Rule Book:
"
Only manufacturing sites where production, service parts, and/or accessory parts that shall be mechanically attached or electrically connected to the vehicle are manufactured and supplied to automotive customers are eligible for IATF 16949 certification"
My interpretation is as following:
The part is an item which is either mechanically attached or electrically connected to the automotive vehicle. Since gases, lubricants, coolants and other such items neither are mechanically attached nor electrically connected, they do not fall into category of 'parts'.
Yet the gases are "bulk materials' then, as they are used as raw material to manufacture "parts", correct?