Eligible to obtain certificate of foreign government (CFG)

M

Mike_Benz

Hello all,

We recently have been asked to obtain CFG to register our medical devices in a new market. We want to make sure we are fully compliant with USFDA guidelines as well as go about this as economically as possible in case we enter similar markets in the future.

My questions:
1 - If our products have USFDA approval, but made in another country, how can we obtain CFG as our products are not "exported from the USA?'
note: we had initially planned to first import the products into the States and then export the same products outside of the States. However, this carries what could be a large unnecessary cost.

2. If we pursue the import-export strategy, instead of importing all of the goods could we import a single carton of the complete variety of products (listed on the CFG) and still be 100% USFDA compliant? This seems like it would be acceptable and within USFDA guidelines and would surely cut our costs and make business in these markets more attractive.

3. Do you have any advise as to the best regulatory strategy in this case? Something I may note have thought of. If so, can you tell me as well as provide me with an official resource that verifies this?

4. Last question. Considering we are the legal manufacturer in the eyes of the USFDA, and our US-company based overseas is where the goods are exported from, does this satisfy US FDA in and of itself (as "export from the USA" could mean export by a US company which pays taxes in the USA). The only reason I could imaging the USFDA requiring manufacturers to export from the USA is for for tax dollars. Why else would they? FDA approved should be FDA approved, no matter where it is exported from. Unless I'm missing something! What do you think?

Thank you all so much in advance :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

Mike_Benz

Please bump! I'm sure this would be very educational to the community.

thanks!

any thoughts on 1 or more of the points above?

L

Laura Halper

If I understand the question correctly, the devices in question are made in a U.S. facility based on foreign soil, and the devices made in that plant are NOT sold in the U.S. and the foreign-based facility is NOT registered with FDA.

In that case, a CFG is not appropriate because FDA will not/cannot state that the devices made at the foreign-based facility are in compliance with GMP (21CFR 820) requirements.

If the foreign-based facility has ISO 13485 certification, you may be able to satisfy the regulatory authorities by submitting that certification along with evidence of 510(k) clearance or PMA approval.

If the foreign-based facility is registered with FDA, then I would go ahead and request the CFG even if devices from that facility are not sold in the U.S. FDA may issue the CFG if the facility is registered.

Mike, you did not mention which country is asking for the CFG. In my experience, sometimes countries with less sophisticated regulatory schemes just ask for CFG because it is an easy requirement to impose. But if you can't get CFG you can sometimes "push back" and explain why CFG is not applicable in your case and offer an alternative such as ISO 13485. In one case the regulatory authority accepted a letter on company letterhead and signed by company official, attesting that the facility and the devices made in the facility complied with GMP's.

M

Mike_Benz

Hello Laura,

Thank you so much for responding to my post!

The company I work for is registered with the USFDA and we have listed all 510k products under our entity listing within the USFDA.

We are a specification developer and repackager/ relabeler and thus the legal manufacturer of our goods recognized by the USFDA.

The products are made on foreign soil through our subsidiary who is manufacturer of record.

At present, while the goods are marketed in the US and are "saleable" in the US, we have yet to import them as our concentration is on foreign markets. At the moment, we merely hope to acquire CFG for our USFDA approved (510k) products to facilitate registration in a variety of markets that prefer US CFG over country of origin free sale certificate.

"If the foreign-based facility is registered with FDA, then I would go ahead and request the CFG even if devices from that facility are not sold in the U.S. FDA may issue the CFG if the facility is registered."

We are about to obtain CFG for the approved items, and are confident that we will receive it, but are a little concerned with the statement on the USFDA website "All devices must be exported from the US." We want to make sure that we are in full compliance.

Laura, do you have an authoritative website that would indicate that what we are doing is acceptable buy the USFDA?

Please help.

Thank you :) :)

Mike

L

Laura Halper

Mike,
I have not encountered a situation exactly like yours before, and don't see similar situation discussed on the FDA website. I suggest you contact FDA to find out if they can/will issue CFG under these circumstances even though you are not exporting from U.S. soil. Here's FDA contact information from their website:

Telephone number: 301-796-7400
Email: [email protected]

Regards,
Laura

M

Mike_Benz

Thank you Laura.

We have contacted them on several occasions and unfortunately they are of little help when it comes to defining "all devices must be exported from the USA". Do you have any idea why (the actual purpose) that this requirement exists? If I knew the reasoning then that may help our approach in the future.

Thank you again!

M

MIREGMGR

Do you have any idea why (the actual purpose) that this requirement exists?
Because of the wording of the law under which FDA is authorized. FDA has no authority over a device-family that is not either made in, marketed in or transited through USA. Thus they cannot certify it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Eligible for IATF or eligible for LOC ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R R2 Certification Requirements for Recycling - Are we eligible??? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
P Only Software companies eligible to take CMMI? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
D FDA Audit - who is "eligible"? Medical Device Sub-Contract Manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 20
C Eligible or ineligible to apply for ISO/TS16949 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
M Is there a way to obtain redacted copies of IFU from a different manufacturer? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R How to obtain OBL licence under Indian MDR, 2017 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
C Budgetary cost to obtain ASME NQA-1 Quality Program Certification Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 0
A Is it mandatory to obtain ISO13485 certificate prior to CE marking? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Requirements to obtain ISO 50001 Certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
M Where to obtain a calibrated DICOM image? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Are we required to obtain a Certificate of Free Sales for export to China? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
N How to obtain Own Brand Label (OBL) CE Marking? EU Medical Device Regulations 18
S ISO 13485:2016 ¶ 8.2.1 - How can we obtain feedback for production activities? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
G Where to obtain training to program the Keyence Measurement System IM6120 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
I Shipping Product from Canada to China - Where to obtain the Certificate of Origin? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A How to obtain Preamble to Quality System Regulation (QSR) ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
I California Food & Drug Branch require components manufacturer to obtain license? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
I Unable to obtain CSRs from Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
Y Can we obtain ISO 9001 if there is only 1 person that understands the requirements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Where to obtain ANSI/ASQ Z1.9 C-1 and D-1 tables Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Are we required to obtain ISO-13485 to act as a Sales Channel for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A How to Obtain Medical Device Approval in Mexico (Free Webinar November 2011) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Manhole covers, frames and gratings. Can these products obtain a CE-Mark? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
K Where to obtain General Concepts of Total Organic Carbon (TOC) testing information? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A How do you obtain real Management Commitment Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
bio_subbu Basic Primer on how to obtain European CE Marking for a Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D How to obtain NOC from DCGI (Drug Controller General of India) for importing drugs Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P Cost to obtain ISO 13485 Certification/Registration from Start-up ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
T List of regulatory steps to obtain market clearance in different countries ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A How do we obtain the product requirements for UL Approval? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
N How to obtain AS9100 registration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
L "Document Controlling" Queries run to obtain information reported to customer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
W ISO17799 - Where to obtain? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
K Where I can obtain/view a copy of ISO 14031? Environmental Performance Evaluation Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
5 Honda Supplier Quality Manual - Where to Obtain? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
P Which Organizations can obtain Certification/Registration to ISO/TS 16949:2002? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Professional Liability Insurance - Have been asked by a registrar to obtain! Consultants and Consulting 16
A Distance Learning where I would be able to obtain a 4 year degree in Quality? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
M Daimler Chrysler SQM (Supplier Quality Manual) - Where to obtain a copy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 9
L A certificate of conformance used to support a calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Lapse in AS9100 Certificate AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Requirements for Certificate of Destruction for Surgical Instruments Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
D Can an ISO 9001 Certificate have Remote Locations? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Certificate of Conformance for Country of Origin - Made in the USA claim Contract Review Process 16
Ed Panek Is anyone familiar with Article 60 Certificate of Free Sale EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Y MDR Transition - make "Available on the market" after CE certificate expiration EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Storing Calibration Certificate Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B Site removal from MDSAP multi-site Certificate ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
N Class I accessories covered by EC certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 0