ELISA reader - IVDR classification

Hello everyone,

I am a Master student in Biomedical Engineering. By far I am working in start up company which manufactures ELISA reader (Class I IVD instrument- Self declaration).
Under the new Regulation (IVDR), our device will be classified according to Rule 5(b) as class A based on the intended purpose. The software drives or influences the device. The device is connected by a USB cable to the PC. The intended purpose for both the device and the software is the same. Means we consider both as a system (Software + IVD instrument, which is an ELISA reader).
My question is about the software now, is it a stand a lone software, is it embedded software or is it a software as Accessory for IVD? I am really confused now.
I will really appreciate you in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Can the software be used on its own (without your IVD instrument)? Can your IVD instrument be used without the software?

Most likely, the software is just part of the system. If you look at the IVDR, you get a good idea of what's required. (IEC 62304 would be a good source also).

Rahim

Registered
Can the software be used on its own (without your IVD instrument)? Can your IVD instrument be used without the software?

Most likely, the software is just part of the system. If you look at the IVDR, you get a good idea of what's required. (IEC 62304 would be a good source also).
First of all thank you so much for your information and secondly with regard to your questions, the software can not be used on its own. The IVD instrument can also not use without software. A firmware is embedded in the IVD instrument, it is connected through USB with the computer and the App should be installed on the PC. I agree with you the software is a part of the system. Can I use the term "software as accessory" for it ?

Kind regards,

Abdulrahim

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't think "accessory" is appropriate. 21CFR820.3 says (emphasis added):

(c) Component means any raw material, substance, piece, part, software, firmware, labeling, or assembly which is intended to be included as part of the finished, packaged, and labeled device.

I believe your software (and firmware) are components.

twanmul

Involved In Discussions
Agree with Yodon above and rule 1.4 of the IVDR corroborates this:

"Software, which drives a device or influences the use of a device, shall fall within the same class as the device."

An accessory would typically be classified in its own right. This is moot however as you're looking at a Class A device anyway...

Rahim

Registered
Agree with Yodon above and rule 1.4 of the IVDR corroborates this:

"Software, which drives a device or influences the use of a device, shall fall within the same class as the device."

An accessory would typically be classified in its own right. This is moot however as you're looking at a Class A device anyway...
Many thanks for your information Twanmul.
So far our IVD instrument is classified as others IVD (Self-certification) according to Directive 98/79/EC. Now under IVDR we classify it under Rule 5(b) with implementing rule 1.4 as you mentioned. Our uncertainty is the following:
According to intended purpose our device is most likely reading any ELISA test. If a lab used our device for a reagent, for example, for HIV which will be high risk class and our IVD instrument is class A, however, we are not producing reagents.
What will be the consequences in this case ?

Rahim

Registered
I don't think "accessory" is appropriate. 21CFR820.3 says (emphasis added):

(c) Component means any raw material, substance, piece, part, software, firmware, labeling, or assembly which is intended to be included as part of the finished, packaged, and labeled device.

I believe your software (and firmware) are components.
Many thanks yodon!

twanmul

Involved In Discussions
My understanding would be that their HIV kit would be Class D and your device would be used as a separate device (though used in combination) to read the test. It's difficult to say without knowing your devices intended purpose but it seems the Class A may be appropriate for you if it is a generic device.

My understanding would be that their HIV kit would be Class D and your device would be used as a separate device (though used in combination) to read the test. It's difficult to say without knowing your devices intended purpose but it seems the Class A may be appropriate for you if it is a generic device.
Many thanks twanmul for your useful information!

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Can I use the term "software as accessory" for it ?
Can you? Sure! Should you? I wouldn't think so! :) Seriously, "accessory" has a specific definition (as well as "component"). If the software is part of the system then indicating it's an accessory would be inaccurate, I think. Now, will anybody care? That'll be up to a reviewer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Elisa kits for poultry disease check up companies US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
S Choosing a suitable type of Elisa to Test my Sample Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
S Choosing the correct Elisa Test Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
S Difference between Direct & Indirect Elisa (Enzyme-Linked ImmunoSorbent Assay) Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
K Performance Evaluation Study for our list A products like HIV ELISA test EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Standard Approval for ELISA Method ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Industry inter-lot variation standard for Enzyme Linked Immuno Sorbent Assay (ELISA) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
P AIM 7351731 RFID reader immunity Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
K Addition of a test reader to existing CE marked product. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
B Alternatives to Google Reader - is Feedly a good option? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Jim Wynne Do you have an e-reader? Tell us about it Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
Manix Using Acrobat Ver 5 when you have Reader Ver 8 Installed! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
M CE requirements for invitro diagnostic device which has an electronic reader ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
CarolX Stimulate some reader response by questioning the Value of Six Sigma Six Sigma 18
Aymaneh Summary of safety and performance (SSP) IVDR 2017/746 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L MedTech Europe IVDR Update EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L IVDD/IVDR vs 13485 Matrix EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B IVDR Electrical safety standard EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Update on NBOG 2014-3 to address MDR/IVDR, or any plan to do that? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T IVDR Medical device software CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
M IVDR and Performance Evaluation Plan CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
P MDR/IVDR Annex III - Technical documentation on PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R IVDR CE Mark for Class A products - Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M Informational BSI UK notified under the IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
dgrainger Informational MDCG 2019-11: Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – First IVDR designated Notified Body – DEKRA Certification GmbH Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Watchcat MDD, MDR/IVDR, Working Groups, Expert Panels, MEDDEVs and Other EU Guidances EU Medical Device Regulations 32
M Informational Update – MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan – 2 more NBs designated under the new regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational From RAPS – EU MDR/IVDR: US Raises ‘Serious Concerns,’ Urges 3-Year Implementation Delay Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
V CE Mark under MDD or IVDR - IVD company doing Virtual Manufacturing Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-7 Guidance on Article 15 of the Medical Device Regulation (MDR) and in vitro Diagnostic Device Regulation (IVDR) regarding a “person re Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
M Informational Medtech Europe presentation – – Industry Perspective on the Implementation Status of the MDR/IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU MDR and IVDR Factsheet for healthcare professionals and health institutions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational From RAPS – UK NB Will Not Apply for EU MDR/IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
M Informational Next meeting of the Medical Device Coordination Group (MDR/IVDR) – 20 June 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – Corrigenda for MDR and IVDR published in Official Journal Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – April 2019 update of the MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Corrigendum for the EU IVDR Published Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Z UDI assignment Criteria Software IVDR Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Medical Device News EU – Medical Devices Regulation (MDR) and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulation (IVDR) – infographics Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News Team-NB publishes a press release regarding the designation process in the framework of the IVDR regulation – Regulation (EU) 2017/746 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News Last update of the MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan – December 2018 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Manufacturer Incident Report (MIR) for Serious Incidents (MDR/IVDR) and Incidents (MDD/IMDD/IVDD) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
M Medical Device News New guidance sheets for the MDR/IVDR published EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J IVDR and MDR ANNEX I Requirements Template EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Medical Device News MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan EU Medical Device Regulations 0
bio_subbu CAMD published FAQs to the transitional provisions of MDR and IVDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Q New IVDR and Legacy Products EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M MDR and IVDR to be published May 5th 2017 EU Medical Device Regulations 14