Embedding a Culture of Quality Into the Organisation

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of figuring out how to embed a culture of quality in the organisation that I work and did not want to reinvent the wheel, so here I am throwing this out there to see what experiences those who have done similar work, have had.

The organisation that I work in is a service type that is engaged in providing Engineering technical consultancy within the automotive sector. We have successfully transitioned to ISO 9 & 14k and are working to transition to ISO45001, ahead of the 3 year window. So the culture of quality is part of a continual improvement programme.

Thanks

Bob

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I am in the process of figuring out how to embed a culture of quality in the organisation that I work and did not want to reinvent the wheel, .
It's easy :p

The business processes have to be engineered in a way that the necessary operational checks and balances, needed to maximize the chances of customer getting what they want, when they need it, at the agreed upon pricing, are performed and effective.

What you don't want to have is a policing-mind-set quality department that operates to the side of the business processes. Quality has to be built-in as a normal expectation of running the business processes. As long as quality is misperceived as the responsibility of a department, it will always be resisted against as a non-value added function.

Good luck.

N

ncwalker

Number 1 is Top Down. In fact, that's so number 1, that if you don't have it, the rest of it isn't going to matter. If the guy in the corner doesn't believe in the program (whatever it is) it will not work. (Part of the reason they have shifted focus in the new IATF standards to look straight at plant managers - this is a good thing). If a new policy from the corner offices come out, and you're overhearing things on the floor like "here's the flavor of the month ..." you have a serious management problem in your facility.

Let's assume that you have the right management and press on.

The best way I have seen new quality processes succeed is: They must be drawn from the shop floor.

Details - you want to hold a kaizen event (or similar) and get a good representation - especially from people on the floor. And you want to pick the people whom the other people listen to. Then, you want to plant seeds, and somewhat steer the narrative of the solutions this team generates. You may not get exactly what you envisioned, but if you do this right, odds are you will get something better because you HAVE involved people on the floor. They aren't stupid and have different views that are often insightful. But the key point is - draw your framework from them. If it's THEIRS, they are much more likely to adopt it and more importantly, keep it. Last - a reward system helps too. You'd be surprised at the good will you engender from throwing an occasional pizza party or showing up with donuts.

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
...What you don't want to have is a policing-mind-set quality department that operates to the side of the business processes...
The challenge here is that, in practice, a certain amount of "policing" is necessary. We can use euphemisms such as "surveillance" or "monitoring", but ultimately there has to be a mechanism built into the system whereby any deviations from procedure or policies is detected and corrected. The key, IMHO, is balance and communication. You don't want an overtly authoritarian "policing-mind-set", but at the same time you still need to communicate the importance of conforming to established practices, and the fact the personnel's activities are likely to be monitored/audited at some point.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I don't want to get on a philosophical debate, but any organization that does not promote self-policing, self-verification and ownership of process performance is doomed. Back in the day, when manufacturing companies had an army of QC inspectors and the operators thought their job was to produce as many products as possible and let "quality" sort good from bad, we had atrocious quality performance, not mentioning terrible financial results.

Quality has to have a component of professional pride and personal strive for doing it right. If the corporate culture does not promote employee ownership and accountability, one can (external) "police" ad infinitum, and, still, in my experience, will have terrible "quality". Especially, as in the case of the OP, where he works for a service organization. Anyone who works with "technical engineering advisory" services know how difficult it is to police a service line as complex as that.

The challenge here is that, in practice, a certain amount of "policing" is necessary. We can use euphemisms such as "surveillance" or "monitoring", but ultimately there has to be a mechanism built into the system whereby any deviations from procedure or policies is detected and corrected. The key, IMHO, is balance and communication. You don't want an overtly authoritarian "policing-mind-set", but at the same time you still need to communicate the importance of conforming to established practices, and the fact the personnel's activities are likely to be monitored/audited at some point.
While true there has to be some checks, it is best if that 'monitoring' comes from within the process and users themselves. Abdicating that accountability to the 'quality' department means the process owner(s) haven't bought into having a Quality culture.

Number 1 is Top Down. In fact, that's so number 1, that if you don't have it, the rest of it isn't going to matter. If the guy in the corner doesn't believe in the program (whatever it is) it will not work. (Part of the reason they have shifted focus in the new IATF standards to look straight at plant managers - this is a good thing). If a new policy from the corner offices come out, and you're overhearing things on the floor like "here's the flavor of the month ..." you have a serious management problem in your facility.
While I think this is true, it is also in my opinion not an end all be all. Engaging from the bottom up, especially with the Preventative action, Improvement process piece of quality can lead to an engaged "top down". Quality is often thought of as simply sorting out the good from the bad but I have found some positive approaches by providing numerical data that increases ROI based off Incident Reports and similar that quality can drive.

All said, you do of course need top down by in. Just adding my cent

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Regulatory Aspect of Embedding 4G/5G communication technologies into medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Is embedding documents within a Contract an acceptable practice ? Contract Review Process 9
Q Please recommend NCR / CAPA Software capable of embedding pictures Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
S Creating a Quality culture! AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
S Medical device startup and culture of quality ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Making a Safety Culture Chart Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
B Improving Safety Culture within an Organisation Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
T Re-Energizing a Culture of Quality Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 10
DanteCaspian Free Poster Download: LANGUAGE OF LEAN CULTURE (2017 Revision Attached) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
G Logo or design that would represent Spirit - Improving our Culture Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
AnaMariaVR2 Creating Global Giants from a Culture of Israeli Start-Ups Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
K How do I change management culture in regards to product? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
N New to Management: Culture Change Advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
V Transforming the Attitude and Culture towards Documentation and Process Controls US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
W Pro-active Quality Culture Improvements - Suggestions, Tools and Techniques Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
A Safety Culture in Top Management - The Workplace Safety & Health Act Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
E Risk Management, Design and Distribution - Culture Media for the IVF Industry ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
J Webinar: Positive Changes in Workplace Culture The Reading Room 0
A Company Safety Culture Assessment - How should I structure the Surveys & Interviews? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 7
L Promoting (Changing to) a Quality Culture Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
D Understanding the culture of other public organizations Service Industry Specific Topics 3
C Training Material for Change Culture Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Q How to Improve the Quality Culture in a Company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 53
Q A Non-Quality Culture at a medical device manufacturing company Career and Occupation Discussions 13
S Corporate Culture - A general discussion Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 38
tony wardle Instill a culture of quality into a plethora of dubious suppliers from China ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 96
S Sterility Assurance Level of Liquids (SAL) - Special Culture Medium ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Culture Shock and Things Need to Change - Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
G "Inspection Culture " to "Quality Assurance Culture" - Upcoming Job Interview Career and Occupation Discussions 15
F Quality Management System vs. Effects of Local Culture on Implementing a QMS Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 22
T Changing Existing Quality Culture/Program - Where to Begin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
J How is your corporate culture before a surveillance Audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J What is really six sigma? Is a culture? A way to solve problems? Six Sigma 27
Marc Step by step, NASA is doing what it takes to 'fix the culture' Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
M Company Culture and how it affects ISO registration, profits, etc. Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 16
R Ten Things Management Can Do To Destroy a Quality Culture Registered Visitor Articles Archive 16
W What's next for Six sigma? An established culture? The Future of Six Sigma Six Sigma 34
G Quality Culture - Teaching Quality is as Important as Safety Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
B The Elusive Culture Change Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 58
A Lean Manufacturing - How do I change my company's Culture? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 26
L Changing the Culture of an organisation where quality is a dirty word ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 91
Sidney Vianna Tesla Lacks Major Automotive Quality Certifications such as IATF 16949 and ISO 9001 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
M Quality Month Celebration Success Stories Circulation Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
S ISO 9001 Quality Management System and its processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
L Assignment on the link between Quality Gurus & ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Quality Plan for eQMS software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Steve Prevette Dr. Deming Saved my Job! Webex for American Society for Quality Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 0
G Tips/advice for a new Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO/TS 10020:2022 Quality management systems — Organizational change management — Processes Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
M Role of Quality Manager in a manufacturing company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7