SBS - The best value in QMS software

EMC Engineer in a Test Laboratory Transitioning into Quality - Looking for Guidance

L

Lilly06

I am presently working as an EMC engineer in a test lab environment for the past 5 years. In my current position I am almost in the last stage of product development – certification / compliance before it can be sold in the market. I’m looking to move up the chain of product development – working on a product before it reaches the test lab. I think being a Quality Engineer / QA engineer would help me do this.

How would you suggest I make this transition into the Quality field?

I am thinking of doing my Masters in Quality Assurance program from Southern Polytechnic State University. But I am confused as to what I should specialize in – reliability engineering, quality supplier engineer etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Looking for guidance - transitioning into Quality

I am presently working as an EMC engineer in a test lab environment for the past 5 years. In my current position I am almost in the last stage of product development – certification / compliance before it can be sold in the market. I’m looking to move up the chain of product development – working on a product before it reaches the test lab. I think being a Quality Engineer / QA engineer would help me do this.

I am thinking of doing my Masters in Quality Assurance program from Southern Polytechnic State University. But I am confused as to what I should specialize in – reliability engineering, quality supplier engineer etc.

My opinion on this subject matter is:

The transition from product development to quality should not be that difficult in my opinion. I would continue my education by attending both the Educational System, and seminars.

I believe there might be a "General" degree in the quality field, but you may want to look at a reliability engineer as you minor.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Looking for guidance - transitioning into Quality

Welcome to the Cove!:bigwave:One of the things I hope colleges and universities are teaching today is the idea (concept) Quality should be part and parcel of EVERY stage of product development - from initial ideation to finished product in the end user's hands.

Deming propounded a theory of a System of Profound Knowledge (SoPK) which many interpret to mean organizations work best when the right hand knows what the left is doing - the elimination of silos jealously guarded by departments or individuals.

Folks who ascribe to SoPK would therefore have a free and easy flow of knowledge and physical activity between areas formerly guarded against intruders. The former sentinels and gatekeepers who practice SoPK would thus trade power they had to limit access in order to gain a more efficient process which would benefit the entire organization, not just their own little silo. The theory posits the synergy of the efficiency thus gained benefits ALL the former silos more than the sums of the individual silo benefits gained before SoPK went into effect.

In summary, you, personally, might benefit more from helping your organization move to a SoPK process rather than finding a way to educate yourself to get access to one of the other, current, silos.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Re: EMC Engineer in a Test Laboratory Transitioning into Quality - Looking for Guidan

Welcome to The Cove! :bigwave:

Good responses so far.

I think one make-or-break factor is people skills, specifically getting things across and dealing with people strategically.

If you are interested in pursuing the quality management field (Wes is right in that the field is being absorbed into all areas of operation, and rightly so) but are not keen about the politicking that can come with it, I suggest you look into reliability engineering. Career Planner has a job description you can read.

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Re: EMC Engineer in a Test Laboratory Transitioning into Quality - Looking for Guidan

In my opinion, EMC Engineers are much more in demand than Quality Engineers. If you were interested in a move up, I would suggest trying to get into EMC Engineering, being involved in the design up front. Another area would be to get involved in Project Management.

Danny

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Combining EcoDesign with Compliance (Product Safety/EMC) Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 2
D Essential performance and EMC immunity testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M IEC 60601-1-2 EMC Tables IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
L IEC60601-1-11 Home Healthcare + IEC60601-1-2 EMC (Functional Earth allowed?) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
M EMC Directive and product safety standards CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
B Evaluation of Basic Safety during EMC Immunity or Climate Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
B Does EMC Directive 2014/30/EU cease to apply when the Machine Directive 2006/42/EC is applicable? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
H External power supply - requirements in safety/EMC test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
F EMC testing for a system that is provided with a computer IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
O EMC - EFT (Electrical Fast Transients) on SIP couples erroneously with other cable CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Is a 3V torch classified as medical electrical equipment needing EMI/EMC testing? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Arguing with the test lab about failing in an EMC test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
E Airborne Medical Equipment EMI/EMC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S Portugal ISO 13485 Certification and EMC Test Houses Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
T Question: Do we consider 60601-1-2 (4th ed) EMC testing a mode for a diagnostic port? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
O Medical Device EMC Risk Management CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
O Guide on EMC for Functional Safety CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
T CE Marking & Compliance to MDD, EMC, RoHS, and GPSD REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
J IEC 60601-2-2 - EMC Requirements - Surgical instrument manufacturer IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
O EMC testing per IEC 60601-1-2 for considering new cables CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
O EMC testing under RED and IEC 60601-1-2 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
D EMC Testing for a Production Fixture CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
Q IVD vs EMC OJ (Official Journal of the European Union) Harmonised Standard Conflicts EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A EMC Emission Issues - Communication between PC and Monitor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
F Is EMC + Radio Re-Test Required? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
E Particular standards, essential performance in EMC Immunity Test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
F EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Conformity Charts - IFU Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
G CE Marking - Low Voltage Directive and EMC Directive CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
T Firmware version in EMC report / DoC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
W EMC, ESD for battery operated apparatus Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
N New EMC IEC60601-1-2 4.0 Ed. Requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
B What is our requirement for maintaining the EMC series of standards? IEC 61000 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
P EMC requirements for an accessory to a medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
T EMC for Medical Devices in Home Environment Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
J EMI/EMC Test differences for Radiography Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M EMC Testing for a US-only, Home-Based Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
B Safety & EMC certificate updated when MCU (MIcro-Controller) is changed? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T EMC Tests - While certified power supply is part of device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
B EMC Repeat Justification - Reducing NRTL testing required after modification of ME IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
C EMC Test Report Requirements to IEC 60601-1-2:2009 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
O CE TCF (Technical Construction File) Template for LVD/EMC/Pressure Directive CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
P New EMC standard IEC 60601-1-2:2014 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
T IEC 60601-1-2 EMC and WiFi IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
T How to fulfill IEC 60601-1-2 EMC Testing Requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S IEC 60601-1-2 EMC Testing Optional in US? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
S Does Australia/New Zealand require RoHS, WEEE, REACH and EMC? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
N Device with Safety & EMC Test Certificates from different Laboratories ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 22
N User Manual Content Requirements and EMC information ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Should EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Testing be performed In-House CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
C An ongoing EMC test in accordance with IEC/EN 60601-2-47 EMC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7