EMC requirements for IVD laboratory equipment

CharlieUK

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi there,

Client has an IVD blood analyser that is designed for home use - the equipment was EMC tested to EN 61326-1:2013 and EN 61326-2-6:2013 for CE marking - what are the EMC requirements for FDA approval?

thanks
Charlie

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
I believe its IEC 60601-1-2, but have a look at 510(k) summaries for similar devices to be sure.

Shimon

DanMann

Is the IVD blood analyser coming into contact with or exchanging energy with a patient? I.e. Does it "have an applied part or transfer energy to or from the patient " where applied part means "part [that] in normal use comes into contact with the patient for [the device] to perform its function"?
If it is not, then I don't think it falls under the definition of "Medical electrical equipment" and so would not fall under the scope of IEC 60601. IEC 61326 allows for the use of IVD equipment in the laboratory "and other environments" and its definition of a class B equipment explicitly mentions use in a "residential" environment.
The related standard IEC 61010-1 explicitly mentions as an example "Self-test IVD equipment to be used in the home" (I don't take this as exclusively applying to "Self-test" though) and references out to IEC 61326 as the relevant EMC standard for this type of equipment (see clause 1.2.2).

CharlieUK

Just to clarify - the equipment is to analyze a single drop of blood from a pin-prick.
There's no patient connection during use.

Jaydub

Involved In Discussions
It seems like IEC 61326-1, Class B emissions and immunity Table 1 would be applicable. But I'm not 100% sure what the FDA might want.

Top Bottom