Employees Awareness, Usability & Effectiveness of the ISO QMS - Survey needed

M

Maria-V

Hi All,

I amnew to this forum and I have to see is the one of the most valuable forums I've ever been too - Congrats to those who created it -but also to everyone else who is taking time to post responses and help colleagues in need from all over the world.

In my company we have implemented ISO QMS 9001 a year ago. We've had 2 External Audits, 1 was disasterous with 7 Non-Conformities and the last 1, was outstanding since we have successfully closed Issues, fullfiled the CPAs, complying with the process-based system and using the standard templates.

What I want to do is to run a Survey within all Employees, who worked hard to comply and show to the top-management: User-Acceptance & understanding of ISO QMS, usage compared to 6 months ago, improvement & potentially create some reports with stats and comments.

Does anyone have samples of such Surveys that could post so I could use them as a refernce orrun them in my company?

Gratelly appreciating responses,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hi All,

I amnew to this forum and I have to see is the one of the most valuable forums I've ever been too - Congrats to those who created it -but also to everyone else who is taking time to post responses and help colleagues in need from all over the world.

In my company we have implemented ISO QMS 9001 a year ago. We've had 2 External Audits, 1 was disasterous with 7 Non-Conformities and the last 1, was outstanding since we have successfully closed Issues, fullfiled the CPAs, complying with the process-based system and using the standard templates.

What I want to do is to run a Survey within all Employees, who worked hard to comply and show to the top-management: User-Acceptance & understanding of ISO QMS, usage compared to 6 months ago, improvement & potentially create some reports with stats and comments.

Does anyone have samples of such Surveys that could post so I could use them as a refernce orrun them in my company?

Gratelly appreciating responses,
Hello MAria:

It's great to know people feel so good about the help they get here. We hope you'll come back and share your experiences too.

In my opinion, you should take a close look at your internal audits to improve them. What you are asking for, a survey, is much better done as an internal audit. The fact that you got so many big non-conformities might be an indicator that you internal audits could be improved, too.

One of the purposes of the internal audits is to see if people have accepted the use of the quality management system and that it's working for them. A survey isn't going to be as useful as a well conducted internal audit.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hello MAria:

It's great to know people feel so good about the help they get here. We hope you'll come back and share your experiences too.

In my opinion, you should take a close look at your internal audits to improve them. What you are asking for, a survey, is much better done as an internal audit. The fact that you got so many big non-conformities might be an indicator that you internal audits could be improved, too.

One of the purposes of the internal audits is to see if people have accepted the use of the quality management system and that it's working for them. A survey isn't going to be as useful as a well conducted internal audit.
Agree with AndyN.

You could also arrange a sort of interview of a "panel" of personnel representative of all job roles in the company.
You can insert questions about quality culture in terms of knowing quality objectives, quality policy, the level of awareness of how they impact quality with their own job, customer requirement knowledge, awareness of cost of poor qualityetc...
It could be better to hear from persons.
Survey could be planned in a succesive step and cover additional organization aspetcs ( i.e communication...)
hope this helps:bigwave:

J

JJ777

Agree with what has been said above. I suggest you also hold bi-annual internal audits and with the non-conformances found in say the first audit and the second audit will show if they actually improved.
Another indicator to show that staff members adopted the QMS is the number Corrective Action Requests or Preventative Action Requests raised and were successfully resolved. The one external auditor made a remark when he saw the low number of CAR's and PAR's raised. He asked a staff member if there are any problems he encounter with doing his job. The staff member told the auditor that he does have a problem and he just asked the staff member why didn't he raise a CAR.
The auditor just wanted to prove although we say that everybody is fine with the system there are other indicators pointing to the opposite.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't have any surveys to share with you, but I did want to say thanks for your kind words about the Cove and its visitors. Also, while you state that one of your audits was "disasterous" because you had 7 nonconformities I'd have to disagree. It appears that those 7 nonconformities taught you things that improved your system. ISO registration is not a game of numbers, it is a process of learning and improving.

I hate it when people beat themselves up because they got "less than a perfect grade". On any given day, who knows how many things an auditor could find? This is a sampling, they may find nothing, they may find a dozen things. Even the best of systems has momentary lapses, the point is that a good system will be able to withstand those little blips.

Congratulations on your improvement efforts.:applause:

J

JJ777

I don't have any surveys to share with you, but I did want to say thanks for your kind words about the Cove and its visitors. Also, while you state that one of your audits was "disasterous" because you had 7 nonconformities I'd have to disagree. It appears that those 7 nonconformities taught you things that improved your system. ISO registration is not a game of numbers, it is a process of learning and improving.

I hate it when people beat themselves up because they got "less than a perfect grade". On any given day, who knows how many things an auditor could find? This is a sampling, they may find nothing, they may find a dozen things. Even the best of systems has momentary lapses, the point is that a good system will be able to withstand those little blips.

Congratulations on your improvement efforts.:applause:
This is absolutely spot on. If you do get non conformances it means there is room for improvement. This happens many times when people see these NC's they think they are bad. I mostly used the example "to close loopholes".
The same applies for CAR's some people view it as bad, but again it shows there is room for improvement.

M

Maria-V

All - thank you for your inputs...

I took over ISO QMS, 7 months ago, right after the External SV1 (7 NCs- translated to 36 Issues) and picked up a mess, cause after the certification there was no proper Change Mngt/ Go-Live phase to bring the users on-board and alligned - so, not only I managed to close the Issues, mentor & train the Users, improve but also close all the unlsolved issues prior to the GAP Analysis Certification!! Hence, External SV2 was successful, showed follow-up on processes, CPAs, tracking, improvement etc....

I have also improved the Internal Audits and now we are running 2 per year and we get good indication on recomendations, improvemetns etc

Problem is that Top-Mngmnt is treating ISO as a Tick-Box on their list although we all understand that this is NOT aproject implemented, done & forgotten! When I saw some comments that the effort was nothing special from QA Dept and the complany's depart to work on this I 've decided to run a Survey to show that now Employees have Awareness, Understanding of the System, the see the Value in their Depts and not only that they Use it-follow standards & monitor but the made Improvements to it!!!!!

To explain the reason why I need to get Employees Feedback (in a form of Survey) is for the following reasons:

- Poor Top-Management support on understanding the huge improvement of our Processes & Services through ISO, as well as,

- Show the Top-Mngmnt that peple (heads, managers & the ISO QA Dept etc) made a big effort, contributed and are now on-board making use of the ISO QMS, than what was happeing 6 months ago...

So please, if you do have a set of Questions to put on a Survey like this, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,

All - thank you for your inputs...

I took over ISO QMS, 7 months ago, right after the External SV1 (7 NCs- translated to 36 Issues) and picked up a mess, cause after the certification there was no proper Change Mngt/ Go-Live phase to bring the users on-board and alligned - so, not only I managed to close the Issues, mentor & train the Users, improve but also close all the unlsolved issues prior to the GAP Analysis Certification!! Hence, External SV2 was successful, showed follow-up on processes, CPAs, tracking, improvement etc....

I have also improved the Internal Audits and now we are running 2 per year and we get good indication on recomendations, improvemetns etc

Problem is that Top-Mngmnt is treating ISO as a Tick-Box on their list although we all understand that this is NOT aproject implemented, done & forgotten! When I saw some comments that the effort was nothing special from QA Dept and the complany's depart to work on this I 've decided to run a Survey to show that now Employees have Awareness, Understanding of the System, the see the Value in their Depts and not only that they Use it-follow standards & monitor but the made Improvements to it!!!!!

To explain the reason why I need to get Employees Feedback (in a form of Survey) is for the following reasons:

- Poor Top-Management support on understanding the huge improvement of our Processes & Services through ISO, as well as,

- Show the Top-Mngmnt that peple (heads, managers & the ISO QA Dept etc) made a big effort, contributed and are now on-board making use of the ISO QMS, than what was happeing 6 months ago...

So please, if you do have a set of Questions to put on a Survey like this, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
As posted earlier, your best opportunity here is to use internal audits. Doing two a year isn't complying with the actual requirements - of status and importance - and, if you schedule them correctly, you will get EXACTLY what you're looking for!
Incidentally, if your CB isn't telling you to do audits based on more than twice a year, you should ask yourself why!

The required planned intervals for conducting internal audits could be more or less than twice a year.
Doug, are you seriously suggesting that in a business, things are that stable and performing well, only one or two audits a year are necessary? I'd certainly like to see that...

In this particular case, I'd rather doubt that two audits a year is even close to being sufficient...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Lack of Awareness in ISO 9001 - Share a Presentation for Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Help with TS16949 Awareness Training for Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A ISO 9001 general awareness sessions for all employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
J How to get employees involved (increase awareness) with ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
N ISO 9001 - Training business with fewer than 5 employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Employees training database Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
B Qualifcations of Staffing Agency Employees to meet job description General Auditing Discussions 6
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Nicole Desouza ISO / AS Certification - Small business with less than 100 employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Reorganizing responsibilities between management teams and Employees in them ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Certifying a "virtual" company with zero employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
eule del ayre Manual Inventory System - Problem is discipline of the employees Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
M Determining number of employees within the "Scope" of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
U Internal auditing - Company employees or contract second party Internal Auditing 10
S Quality System Induction Training for New Employees Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 16
P How to have employees buy-in of quality procedures. Best practices? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M AS9100 - Where to start - Small company (10 employees) and I am the Quality Dept. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
S ISO 13485 Consultant Question - The company has 5 part time employees ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M How to count the number of employees? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
N How to ensure our employees don’t grab and use the wrong materials Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
R Remote Support - Calculating Number of Employees IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Auditing processes followed by employees placed on client's site Internal Auditing 4
Q Presentation for Employees - Starting the ISO 9001:2015 Transition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
H How to Establish and Document Competence of Employees in a Small Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
G Training Employees about Quality - Philosophy / Mind set Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
A New company, no employees, Setting up a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Stijloor Calculating (3rd Party) Audit Days for Company with Seasonal Employees General Auditing Discussions 3
E Employees in Quality Assurance Jobs Career and Occupation Discussions 2
P Small company of approx 28 Employees - ISO-9001:2008 Guidelines ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Customer Corrective Action requests and Sales Employees Promises AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
dubrizo If Quality Objectives are not known to employees, is it a Nonconformance? General Auditing Discussions 7
H ROI (Return on Investment) Calculation of Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
R Training Production Employees When We Have SOOO Many SOPs Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
F What is the scope for "Total Numbers of Employees on site" per ISO/TS 16949 ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A KPI's for Individuals (Employees) Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
A How do you motivate employees to follow the QMS? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
K Making a Quality Requirements Handbook for Employees Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
P Audit Man Day Requirements - Small AS9100 Company hiring New Employees AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
T What to do when Employees are not following Instructions Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 65
J Evidence of ISO Training for all Employees Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 27
S Head Count for Employees and Contract Workers Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
J Employees regard the QA team as the "enemy" Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 20
K Evidence for Language Knowledge of Employees Professional Certifications and Degrees 9
M How Employees can overcome Fear of Computers Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
N Must Employees Be Evaluated Annually? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 19
L Requirements for employees personal precision measuring tools ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S How to introduce new employees to ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
M Certifying a company with two employees to ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A How to verify and validate the effectiveness of CAPA with regards to employees ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5