Employees in Quality Assurance Jobs

Ettore

Quite Involved in Discussions
Good morning.

Many, here in the cove, have been dealing with years of quality, over time the passion for work has led them to deepen their knowledge, and to love him more and more, and this is evident from your words.

Many of you are consultants, others are employees.

As employees we are certain that in the future, maybe ten years before retirement our boss won't decides to entrust us a completely different role, a job that we do not know, We don't love? When this will happen what will we do? Probably we will go to ask help to a good analyst and he will tell us that we were lucky because we can grow only from the wounds of life?

Or what we should do?
Any others suggestions here?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Starting to get Involved
Hi Ettore,

that's a very good question you have there. Here's what I did so far, as I know this situation, and kinda am in this situation again, after re-locating back home.

Basically there are two options, if your job assignment doesn't reflect your "passion" anymore:
  1. Try to change/adjust your current job assignment to the better. This is mostly a gradual process and involves more nudging than pushing.

or if you don't have the degrees of freedom to gradually change your job and your superior won't budge, than there's always option 2
  2. Find a new job at another company.
I am a strong believer, that everybody can find a job he or she likes, however, sometimes it does not work out because of different opinions, company cultural believes, philosophies and so on. If you have a discrepancy there, only option 2 applies, as the whole company won't change just for you.

Not an option, of course, is to not try and change something.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've had the flexibility to free-lance within the company. This can be an advantage of a large company. Granted, I'm still fulfilling the same role (SPC data analysis, scorecards for management, process improvement) but did just got "promoted" to having a higher level manager, in effect adding the corporate department (Fluor Government Group HQ) as a customer. I still service four project sites within the Energy and Nuclear side of FGG, but this opens up overall FGG metrics and work for other units within FGG. And I'm about 10 years to retirement - but Fluor did want to be sure to be able to keep my services after the Savannah River contract ends. My official title is "Senior Quality Engineer".

So, there can be advantages to working for a large corporation. At least in my case I was able to target specific customers who are good customers to work with. A somewhat different twist on trying to influence your manager.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Quality System Induction Training for New Employees Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 16
P How to have employees buy-in of quality procedures. Best practices? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M AS9100 - Where to start - Small company (10 employees) and I am the Quality Dept. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
G Training Employees about Quality - Philosophy / Mind set Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
dubrizo If Quality Objectives are not known to employees, is it a Nonconformance? General Auditing Discussions 7
K Making a Quality Requirements Handbook for Employees Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
J Quality Meeting With Employees as a Recommended Action FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Rolling out a Revised Quality Manual to all the Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
P ISO 9001 Company Quality Objectives and Targets - Communication to Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Need material to train employees and technician about quality Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
K Does the Quality Manual Need to be Distributed to All Employees? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 20
F Training Employees on the QMS (Quality Management System) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Q How can I make the QMS (Quality Management System) interesting to employees? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
Brizilla "Measuring the quality of white collar employees and productivity." Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
D Does the health of the employees reflect the health of the Quality Management System? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
B Educating Employees - Introduction to what quality is all about ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L Ensuring All Employees Comply To Company Quality Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
I Contribution to quality objectives - How employees work effects customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
A ISO/TS16949, Clause 6.2.2.4 - Motivating employees to achieve quality objectives IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
N Training on QMS (Quality Management System) for field employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
E French Intro to Quality - Introducing ISO 9001 to New Employees Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
M Quality System Training for Managers and higher level employees General Auditing Discussions 17
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Nicole Desouza ISO / AS Certification - Small business with less than 100 employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Reorganizing responsibilities between management teams and Employees in them ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Certifying a "virtual" company with zero employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
eule del ayre Manual Inventory System - Problem is discipline of the employees Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
M Determining number of employees within the "Scope" of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
U Internal auditing - Company employees or contract second party Internal Auditing 10
S ISO 13485 Consultant Question - The company has 5 part time employees ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M How to count the number of employees? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
N How to ensure our employees don’t grab and use the wrong materials Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
R Remote Support - Calculating Number of Employees IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Auditing processes followed by employees placed on client's site Internal Auditing 4
Q Presentation for Employees - Starting the ISO 9001:2015 Transition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
H How to Establish and Document Competence of Employees in a Small Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Q Lack of Awareness in ISO 9001 - Share a Presentation for Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A New company, no employees, Setting up a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Stijloor Calculating (3rd Party) Audit Days for Company with Seasonal Employees General Auditing Discussions 3
P Small company of approx 28 Employees - ISO-9001:2008 Guidelines ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Customer Corrective Action requests and Sales Employees Promises AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
H ROI (Return on Investment) Calculation of Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
R Training Production Employees When We Have SOOO Many SOPs Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
F What is the scope for "Total Numbers of Employees on site" per ISO/TS 16949 ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A KPI's for Individuals (Employees) Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M Help with TS16949 Awareness Training for Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A How do you motivate employees to follow the QMS? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
P Audit Man Day Requirements - Small AS9100 Company hiring New Employees AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
T What to do when Employees are not following Instructions Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 65