Employment in 2016

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Is it hard to find jobs in the U.S., or is it hard to find jobs in the U.S. that compensate at the PhD level? I see a lot of jobs that ask for this or that degree but pay very little.

I think that this is exactly what Steven was talking about. International competition drives compensation levels down. This is capitalism and free market at its best (whether we like it or not).

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Is it hard to find jobs in the U.S., or is it hard to find jobs in the U.S. that compensate at the PhD level? I see a lot of jobs that ask for this or that degree but pay very little.

That is the under-employed I am talking about. We have people that are compensated lower than their "market" value.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
I recently changed jobs and am now working for a large defense organization. I applied for the position that I wanted here (lead internal auditor), and almost as an afterthought I applied for another position here that I was less excited about and less qualified for (inspection supervisor). I was called in for an interview for the second position, but not the first. At the end of the interview, the interviewers said that I was a much better match for the other position and asked if I wanted to apply for it. I said I had already applied for it, but was not contacted to interview for it.

Before I was halfway home, I had a call from HR asking me to set up an interview for the position that I wanted (and now have). Their screening process had screened me out for some reason. Somehow 30 years of experience and a decade and a half of CB audits didn't qualify me for an internal auditor position. :mg: I'm looking forward to auditing the HR hiring process sometime to see where the disconnect was... :notme:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Their screening process had screened me out for some reason.

Many companies use computers to screen resumes. They simply look for keywords used in the posting. If your resume lacks these keywords, you are invisible, no matter how good.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Many companies use computers to screen resumes. They simply look for keywords used in the posting. If your resume lacks these keywords, you are invisible, no matter how good.

I cannot remember where I picked it up - probably here - but someone suggested that somewhere in the resume I put a bunch of key words in white font so that they don't clutter the document but still get picked up by the screening.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Beware of the use of white font for this. Search engines and some screening software marks this as "black hat" and can be a negative.

I literally have a "key words" section at the bottom of my resume. It doesn't add too much to it and a human can also look at it and get the gist of things. Then again, I do not have a "traditional" resume.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Beware of the use of white font for this. Search engines and some screening software marks this as "black hat" and can be a negative.

Thanks - I did not know that. Also, it's been over eight years since I last put my resume on line.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
That is the under-employed I am talking about. We have people that are compensated lower than their "market" value.
That's what I thought you would say. Yes, it's true. The pressure to lower labor costs is also a driver for age discrimination, which HR people will sometimes admit practicing. So we have PhD holders making sandwiches instead of high school students, or working in lesser positions. Then we are told "Go get a better job" to improve our low pay; the turnover adds to labor costs without apparent recognition as a good target for cost reduction - the savings from lowering turnover costs could be used to raise wages. It usually isn't, so the revolving door keeps going 'round and 'round.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Big problem trying to determine "market value". I was talking to a technical temp agency lately and they're offering US$30/hr for a job I got US$45/hr for back in 2002. And, of course the aspect of age did come up which led to some word-dancing on his part around my age.

Does the ASQ (or was it Quality Progress?) still put out a yearly "Salary Survey" for folks in QA?

Top Bottom