EMS (ISO 14001) Audit / Interview Typical List of Questions for Review and Additions

T

tigerfan51

I try to vary the typical interview questions that I ask during an ISO 14001 3rd party audit. My current list of questions is attached.

Can any Covers add to / modify this list? I'd like to change up my questions to keep the interviews fresh and would welcome suggested changes / variations on the list.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Please don't be offended, but sh-tcan that list. You're not auditing, you're asking questions that in the end tells you nothing related to system performance.

If you want to audit, start with a procedure or instruction, identify the inputs, outputs, how it is to be performed, any monitoring and measuring involved, and see if what is supposed to be happening is actually happening. Follow a process through from beginning to end.

What you are doing isn't auditing. All you are doing is spinning your wheels, wasting time and not adding value.

Want to vary your questions? Then ask something of substance other than "What is the policy 14 different ways"

T

tigerfan51

I knew when I wrote the post late last night that there would be an interesting reply from Randy in the morning - you did not disappoint :applause:

I did not explain the purpose of the questions well enough and you misintepreted. These questions are NOT how I audit an EMS or an environmental process. These are the questions I use when interviewing a shop floor worker, a machine operator, a material handler, etc. They are meant to test the awareness of the EMS, the effectiveness of training, communication and awareness of waste management/recycling, emergency procedures and objectives/programs, etc. I also throw in questions regarding specific work instructions/procedures, for workers that have key EMS roles - for example a waste water treatment operator.

Your comment to pick a process and follow it through, inputs/ouputs/monitoring/etc. is right on the mark. That is the approach I use when auditing an EMS process or production area. One component of an EMS audit is worker interviews - what questions do you ask a stamping press operator or an injection mold machine operator?

BTW - I'm not surprised you could answer the attached questions - you are a highly trained EMS expert! I even bet you could answer the questions with one hand tied behind your back, nekkid in the middle of the DFW airport main terminal, as you are fond of saying. But the questions are a bit more difficult for a machine operator who maybe finished grade 9 and has previous work experience flippin burgers at MickyDees (or working at Tim Horton's - had to throw in the Canadian content).

I eagerly await your response and no offence taken.:biglaugh:

Randy

Super Moderator
Alrighty....I love someone with a sense of humor and a grasp on reality.

I'd tend to focus on the employee and his or her specific relationship to the EMS. What are the expectations of them and what are their individual expectations?

The awareness of EMS issues can sometimes come from asking about thier individual tasks; how what they do can help to achieve the committments made in the policy; how the committments effect them in their tasks; about possible improvements that could help meet policy committments, O&T's and the like; where they may see system weakness or failing and so on.

I guess if you use the questions you've shared with us as an approach method to getting to the "meat" then your reasoning is a sound one and I'd say "Full Steam Ahead". On the other hand, many time all that is ever asked is something along the line of "Do you know the policy?" and "Do you have a procedure?"

See where I'm coming from?

T

tigerfan51

Yep. Chrystal clear and I agree.

Your last comment is particulaly on the mark, I have run across many auditors that spend a lot of time on policy questions.

Thanks for the input - lets see if anone else has something to add.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
These three questions are ones I like asking no matter what the focus of the audit is...however, the responses can depend greatly on the length of time the employee has been with the company...
  1. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best, where would you rate your <insert audit scope/management system here>? Why?
  2. Over the past 2 or 3 years, has the <insert audit scope/management system here> improved, become worse or remained the same?
  3. If you could change just one thing to improve the <insert audit scope/management system here>, what would it be?

The answers are usually pretty enlightening...especially to management. When you tally up the answers with a breakdown from departments and/or positions levels, sometimes the results are astounding. When there is consistency, you know that there is real support of the system (assuming the answers were all on the good side) or no support whatsoever (assuming the answers were on the bad side).

But that last question - my "Miss Universe" question - usually digs up the best answers. We're introducing possible improvement projects from the trenches...oftentimes, practical ideas. Okay, there is the occasional "what is he smoking?!?!...and why isn't he sharing?!?!" statement....;)

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: EMS (SO 14001) Audit / Interview Typical List of Questions for Review and Additio

I knew when I wrote the post late last night that there would be an interesting reply from Randy in the morning - you did not disappoint :applause: <snip>
Randy rarely disappoints... :notme:

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: EMS (SO 14001) Audit / Interview Typical List of Questions for Review and Additio

I try to vary the typical interview questions that I ask during an ISO 14001 3rd party audit. My current list of questions is attached.

Can any Covers add to / modify this list? I'd like to change up my questions to keep the interviews fresh and would welcome suggested changes / variations on the list.

I would add ....

Does your operation generate any hazardous waste ? How do you know that they are hazardous ? How and where do you dispose them ?

S

samsung

I would add ....

Does your operation generate any hazardous waste ? How do you know that they are hazardous ? How and where do you dispose them ?
:agree1: Good point. Additionally, I would suggest that the OP should also add questions related to significant aspects, existing operational controls, trouble shooting, compliance to regulatory requirements and the likes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Sequence and Interaction - Combined for both ISO 9001:2015 and EMS 14001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R ISO 9001:2015 and EMS 14001:2015 combined audit checklist General Auditing Discussions 5
A EMS - ISO 14001:2015 Implementation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
B ISO 14001:2015 4.3 - How to make the scope of the EMS available to interested parties ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
D Is anyone changing their ISO 14001:2004 EMS Policy? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
F ISO 14001:2015 EMS Procedures and Form Examples wanted ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10
I Looking for Sample Questions for ISO 14001 EMS Audit General Auditing Discussions 8
B Has any one used Flow Chart Procedures for EMS ISO 14001 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
H Process Mapping related to EMS for ISO 14001:2004 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
P EMS (Environmental Management System) ISO 14001 Audit example wanted ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 16
somashekar EMS Data Analysis - ISO 14001 Analysis of Data ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
L ISO 14001: EMS manual/ procedures examples ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
T ISO 14001 EMS Software Assistance and Recommendations Please ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12
O Videos on OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001 EMS either in VHS or DVD format Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
P ISO 14001 Influenced Aspects? Does anyone have an influenced aspect in your EMS? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 13
P Internal Auditor Selection Guidelines - EMS - ISO 14001 Internal Auditing 6
B EMS Manual based on ISO 14001-2004 - Seeking Examples ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 19
Z ISO 14001:2004 EMS audit checklist wanted! General Auditing Discussions 6
L "Maintain a procedure" vs. procedures ISO 14001:2004 - Changing our EMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M ISO 14001 EMS (Environmental Management System) Training ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
J ISO 14001 EMS Pre-Audit Findings - Construction Company ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12
Marc ISO 14001 EMS - Objectives and Targets in Small Service Companies Service Industry Specific Topics 8
Randy ISO 14001 - Clause 4.4.4 - Required EMS Documentation Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 13
A ISO 14001 EMS Objectives, Targets and Programmes Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
Sidney Vianna EMS auditor competence ISO Standard published - ISO/IEC TS 17021-2:2012 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
D ISO 9001:2008 and Environmental Management System (EMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B ISO 9k 2008 procedures to be in sync with EMS, OHSAS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
E How to implement an integrated QMS&EMS fitting organisation practices & ISO norms? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
RoxaneB ISO 14000 EMS (Environmental Management System) Surveillance Audit Results Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 23
G ISO/IEC Guide 62 (QMS) & 66 (EMS) has been changed - 3 Year Reassessment Required Registrars and Notified Bodies 22
M EMS change management ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
D EMS Management review outputs - Strategic direction of the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
K EMS Manual - External auditor expectations Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
R India - EMS 14001:2015 Environmental product declarations ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
M Auditing a Contractor in EMS and Non Conformity Report General Auditing Discussions 1
L Why are some EMS machines not certified under MDD Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
5 Advice for a new EMS at a small, office-based company ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
O QMS / EMS required procedures ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
drgnrider EMR performing audits of EMS Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 13
L 5 minutes only for this Survey on the Value of PDCA and Your EMS Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
L Business case for an electronic EMS (Electronic Manufacturing Services) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
G Multi Site EMS and QMS Management System Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Section 4.3.1 - Limiting an EMS scope to facilities only ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
P Should I send survey questionnaire prior to Supplier EMS Audit? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
P Does anyone know any organization with IMS (QMS+EMS+ISMS)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R EMS Programme Target is Reduction in CO2 Emission Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
Sidney Vianna ANAB/IAAR Collaboration Project: Technical Areas for QMS, EMS, and OHSMS ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
I MRP/ERP for small CM/EMS Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Need Questionaire for Interested Parties on EMS Aspect Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
S EMS and OHSAS Certification for Administrative office Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5