EMS objectives & targets for project-based organization

J

June Ang - 2005

Hi, calling for help again. I appreciate very much for any reply i received.

As my company is project-based organization, i face problems in setting targets for "project" level.

We already identify the objectives and targets for "corporate" level, and each project suppose to set their "project environmental target" to achieve our "corporate" objectives and targets.

For example, my company receive a lot of fine in "mosquito breeding", so one of our "corporate" objectives & targets is:-

Objective : to control the mosquito breeding
Target : to reduce 25% fine in mosquito breeding compared to year 2001

Our environmental gap analysis has indicated that at year 2001, we have:
- 13 cases of mosquito breeding fines
- total fines of $ 100,000 (example)

For "corporate" level, i can monitor our progress towards this objective and target by just ensuring the total fines is less than $75,000 during year 2002. But, i have no idea on how the set the target for project level.

I think of the solutions before:-

(1) For those projects who have this fine records at year 2001, they can set their target based on previous fine records
(2) For new project started at year 2002? what they can set?

Shall i reset my target in other better way? or do you have any other good idea? Thanks for advices.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
1st of all, are you setting a financial or environmental objective?

The objective should not be to reduce the fines, the objective should be to reduce the breeding (permanently maybe). Your targets are fine reduction and the reduction of potential disease bearing critters...improving the living environment.

By reducing the breeding you should reach your Target. When that is done set another Target (Continual Improvement remember).

You need to understand that there is no right or wrong way of setting Objectives and Targets.....there is only your way. All you need is a system to do it and a method to prove it. Don't get wrapped around the axle trying to develop grand plans and schemes. Keep it simple and standardized across the board.

If you are having difficulties you may need outside assistance. There are quite a few folks in that part of the world that I am sure could help. Check with your management. If they truly want a world clas system then they should provide the resources (another requirement by the way) to do so.

J

June Ang - 2005

Thanks!

Hi! Thanks!

I get your points now! I thought that by setting the financial figure will make the objectives and targets tangible and measurable. But, you remind me that there are still many open options.

As for outside consultant, i do hope so. But, this is company policy. They hired me is just purposely want me to in-charge for the whole system (as i mentioned before). Can i say no??? I don't think so.

:(

Anyway, i still trying my best. As you said : There is no shame in failing, but is a shame if no trying.

Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P EMS Objectives not meeting the Targets - Audits and Compliance ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
T EMS Objectives, Targets and Programme(s) - I have put together a list for critique Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
M Setting Objectives and Targets for the EMS - Is continual improvement required? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 23
Marc ISO 14001 EMS - Objectives and Targets in Small Service Companies Service Industry Specific Topics 8
A ISO 14001 EMS Objectives, Targets and Programmes Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
D EMS Management review outputs - Strategic direction of the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
K EMS Manual - External auditor expectations Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
R Sequence and Interaction - Combined for both ISO 9001:2015 and EMS 14001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R India - EMS 14001:2015 Environmental product declarations ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
R ISO 9001:2015 and EMS 14001:2015 combined audit checklist General Auditing Discussions 5
M Auditing a Contractor in EMS and Non Conformity Report General Auditing Discussions 1
A EMS - ISO 14001:2015 Implementation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
B ISO 14001:2015 4.3 - How to make the scope of the EMS available to interested parties ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
L Why are some EMS machines not certified under MDD Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
D Is anyone changing their ISO 14001:2004 EMS Policy? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
F ISO 14001:2015 EMS Procedures and Form Examples wanted ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10
5 Advice for a new EMS at a small, office-based company ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
O QMS / EMS required procedures ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
drgnrider EMR performing audits of EMS Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 13
L 5 minutes only for this Survey on the Value of PDCA and Your EMS Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
L Business case for an electronic EMS (Electronic Manufacturing Services) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
G Multi Site EMS and QMS Management System Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Section 4.3.1 - Limiting an EMS scope to facilities only ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
P Should I send survey questionnaire prior to Supplier EMS Audit? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
Sidney Vianna EMS auditor competence ISO Standard published - ISO/IEC TS 17021-2:2012 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
I Looking for Sample Questions for ISO 14001 EMS Audit General Auditing Discussions 8
P Does anyone know any organization with IMS (QMS+EMS+ISMS)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R EMS Programme Target is Reduction in CO2 Emission Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
Sidney Vianna ANAB/IAAR Collaboration Project: Technical Areas for QMS, EMS, and OHSMS ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
B Has any one used Flow Chart Procedures for EMS ISO 14001 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
D ISO 9001:2008 and Environmental Management System (EMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B ISO 9k 2008 procedures to be in sync with EMS, OHSAS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I MRP/ERP for small CM/EMS Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Need Questionaire for Interested Parties on EMS Aspect Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
S EMS and OHSAS Certification for Administrative office Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
V Should the EMS manual be a controlled document? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
H Process Mapping related to EMS for ISO 14001:2004 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
A Integrated Management System QMS, EMS & OHSAS Manual Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
T EMS Benchmark Characteristics - Your review and comments appreciated Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
D EMS (Environmental Management System) related criteria for Design Works Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
Jen Kirley Elephant Chart Nonconformance Tracking .xls Chart - Analysis tool developed for EMS Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
P If I was to take on a new EMS..... Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 9
S Environmental Management System (EMS) Employee Handbook example wanted Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
W EMS 2009 Call for Papers: Sept. 20-22, 2009, Beijing, China wl Management Review Meetings and related Processes 0
E How to implement an integrated QMS&EMS fitting organisation practices & ISO norms? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
W EMS 2009 Call for Papers: Sept. 20-22, 2009, Beijing, China Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
P How to increase EMS and General Environmental Awareness Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 20
Sidney Vianna Examples of Preventive Actions in an EMS (Environmental Management System) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 16
P Roles and Responsibilities of EMS Coordinator plus more Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
D Adding EMS responsibilities to current position - what training would be helpful? Career and Occupation Discussions 1