Endless doubts and questions concerning procedure vs process.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
It's not second guessing everything, it's checking if the system meets the requirements imho. How can I do that without asking questions? Without asking questions to check, THEN I would be second guessing imho.

Would you be able to do an audit just by having the audited organization write you small sentences about how they work, like you did in the post where you asked me if the organization complied to the ISO?

I mean, if that is really enough, why can´t you do an audit like that? By email? Would you approve a certificate to an audit done at a distance where the organization gives a simple answer like "We wrote our one end-to-end process on the wall of our conference room, along with inputs/deliverables and responsibilities. All 6 people contributed to defining those processes. The owner agreed and said "That's what we do."

They write you this by email. You are not allowed to reply with more questions, that would be second guessing them.

Would you considerthey met the requirements, without asking any other question?

7.5.3.1 - documented information needed by the QMS and by this norm must be controlled to assure:
a) it will be available and adequate for use, where and when it is necessary.
b) it will be sufficiently protected (for example, against loss of confidentiality, improper use or integrity loss)

how do you know from this little information that A and B were met?

I will simplify my audits. I will just ask if they met all ISO requirements. They will answer yes. I will say, thank you, no non-conformities. It seems to be nothing works here, but no matter, you said yes and if I ask you something else, that would be second guessing you... :p
Let's say you are performing the Internal Audit, and you decided to look at the "documentation needed..." You saw what Andy describes, what would be the nonconformity and how would you identify it as?

1. a) Is it available and adequate for use when it is necessary? This would be my answer: Yes it is available for use. Anyone who needs to know this information has access to it.

2. b) It will be sufficiently protected...? This would be my answer: It is in an office that is protected from damage, loss and confidential.

Where did I violate the standard with my answers?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
To the OP:
Process: an activity or set of activities that transform inputs to outputs

That is the definition I believe in ISO 9000 terms, but I'm too lazy to get my paper copy. :)

Procedure: How...

ex 1: My morning procedure is to get up, and get coffee, and....

ex 2: Procedure 8675.309 Rev. B 2-23-2019 - How to change the lightbulb in the men's restroom

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Quality Manual Index in Endless Loop Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
Q Auditing Product and Services doubts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Doubts about the FCC regulations for the use of Bluetooth in medical equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Doubts about SPC taken in Machining - Part has +-0.01 Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
B Selling Medical devices to Iran - OFAC doubts Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
thisby_ Intended Use vs. Intended Purpose vs. Intended by the Manufacturer - Doubts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
I 6.2.2.1 Product Design Skill - Doubts - No Product Design Responsibility Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
I ISO 9001 - Exclusions Doubts - Placement consultancy services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A I have two doubts about PFMEA failure modes - How should I describe a "failure mode" FMEA and Control Plans 24
S MDD class IIa Annex V or VI: specific doubts when implented ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
Mr Roo ISO 9001 - 7.1.3 Infrastructure - questions concerning evidence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Asset / Tooling Management - Two Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q VDA 6.3 questions vs IATF 16949 clauses VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A ISO13485:2016 name and ownership changes questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C CQA Test Questions Bank General Auditing Discussions 1
E Three basic questions about ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Informational EU – EMA revised guidance – Questions & Answers on Implementation of the Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulations ((EU) 201 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 v2 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Relevant questions on Substantial Change Form CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Beginner in ISO 45001 here! Three questions Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
D Framing FDA Questions - Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Informational US FDA – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Barcoding questions - Is there a plain English primer for newbies? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Questions about the contents of a Design History File 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S ISO 14971 Risk Management - Questions for Hazard identification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C MDR Importer/Distributor Definition Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
M Informational USFDA – Efforts to evaluate materials in medical devices to address potential safety questions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA draft guidance – A Risk-Based Approach to Monitoring of Clinical Investigations Questions and Answers Guidance for Industry Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
E Basic Risk based thinking questions Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 5
F Job Travelers questions - unsigned operations AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 41
J Training documentation - ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had questions General Auditing Discussions 7
G Auditor watching tech do procedure - Can tech ask questions? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
A Any recommendation for ASQ's CPGP (Pharmaceutical GMP Professional) Certification exam questions? ASQ - American Society for Quality 2
M Informational EU – Questions And Answers Related To The United Kingdom’s Withdrawal From The European Union With Regard To Industrial Products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Ed Panek CE REP questions about our devices ROHS compliance REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
O Reinstating a disqualified supplier—questions to ask before making a decision Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S Two Questions about Medical Device Software 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 50
A Expanded GR&R Study questions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
K California's Proposition 65 - Solvent and Stainless Steel Alloy questions RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 11
Q New Casting Supplier System Assessment - What technical questions to ask? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
S 510(k) Questions - Do we as the middle-man have to have one? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1