Engineering Approval - Example needed!

When will QS-9000 officially be announced as defunct?

• Within 12 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over 12 months

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • It'll just keep going & going & going & going & goi....

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Stuart Andrews

Involved - Posts
Hi
Can someone provide me with an example of "Engineering Approval" (E.A.) and at what stage would this occur.

I'm finding it hard to comprehend how this would be different from a signed-off PSW. And the fact that if it is an Approval, then a submission must have been submitted for it to be approved? :frust: Just can't seem to get my head around this one.

Any help is appreciated. :confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

D.Scott

I understand you to be referring to 4.13.4 Engineering Approved Product Authorization.

When a product cannot meet the currently approved criteria, the customer may accept a "short term" variation untill the problem can be resolved.

For example if your supplier of a base material suddenly went out of business with no notice and no material was available, the customer might allow you to use a substitute material for a specified time (or quantity) untill the new replacement could be evaluated and approved (or the original material again became available). Sometimes you see an approval for non-critical "out-of-spec" measurements while a die or mold is being repaired.

Once the authorization is received, you must be able to track ALL of the approved/different product thus the requirement for additional record-keeping.

Hope this answers the question.

Dave

A

Al Dyer

Stuart,

Examples and timing can be found in the AIAG PPAP manual.

Just as an aside, I have been performing part submissions to the big 3 for 20 odd years and have never been had the need or desire to use and E.A. report/form. Might be a part/product specific type of thing that I have not run across.

Any others out there use an E.A. document?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Design Engineering Approval

First, let's define what engineering approval we're talking about. Is this design engineering, process engineering?

Design Engineering: An engineering approval is done any time there is a design approval or when there is a change where engineering is involved. For example, if I have a foundation brake assembly and find that a certain spring does not meet spec and I talk to the manufacturer and it turns out I screwed up earlier and should have had looser specs on the spring tension at a given length. Or - maybe a spring which is seeing field failures and a design change recommendation (request, whatever). Someone submits the 'recommended' change to design engineering because they own the print which calls out the spring characteristics. I may want and need the change but I can't have it until I have design engineering approval which involves a print revision. Often the engineering approval, as Al pointed out, is not a stand alone document but rather is a place for a signature on a larger form - such as an engineering change approval form where multiple groups have to sign off.

The engineering approval would be part of the PSW package if you have to go back through that (often for a change you can get approval to do a subset rather than go through the entire PPAP process - it depends on how extensive the change is, it's impact, etc.). Of course, this is assuming the part is already in production. In most of these situations there are typically a number of 'functional groups' (such as the process folks) who may also have to approve the change.

So - you may need a engineering signoff several times in the life of the part after the initial release - not just at the release (start of new part). Your design change system should define how it works where you are.

Or - maybe I'm lost on what's being asked. I'm somewhat confused today. Too many balls in the air. :rolleyes:

S
At a previous company doing business with Ford we had a "Engineering Authorization" form as part of our PPAP submission. This form was part of the Q1 (1995) and the submission that Ford used titled ISIR.
This form was submitted to the Ford Product development engineer for sign-off prior to PPAP submittal. When the approved form was received it was placed in the ISIR package and submitted for Ford SQA sign-off.

Stuart Andrews

Involved - Posts
Thanks for your replies folks!
Maybe I should have been more Specific in my wording. I was referring to the definition in the PPAP manual.

And from your replies you have answered it for me.
Thank you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Engineering Drawing Review and Approval Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
L Chrysler's Supplier Request for Engineering Approval Form Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V Ford SREA (Supplier Request for Engineering Approval) 2007 revision Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K How to fill out an SREA (Supplier Request for Engineering Approval) form at Ford? APQP and PPAP 3
K Questions about SREA (Supplier Request for Engineering Approval) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
B General SREA (Supplier Request for Engineering Approval) form for all OEM's? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Engineering Change Order (ECO) metrics to track ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Marc Job Opportunity - Engineering Technician - Suspense 23 Sept 2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
J UCLA extension Medical Device Engineering Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
G Engineering retest in line - Machine stability issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
I Good resources for learning statistics (quality engineering related) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
B Lessons Learned Implementing ISO 50001 (Chemical Engineering Progress) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
G Engineering Specifications - APQP APQP and PPAP 5
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
C E signatures on Engineering Change Notes AS9100 / AS9116 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Icy Mountain Engineering Change Order...Modification Order Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
jjmusicjr Implementing Machine Replacement Part Reverse engineering technology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T Why are most companies have Quality reporting to Engineering or Operations and not to CEO ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
I Document templates required for ISO ISO 45001 - Engineering Construction company Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
R The alignments and contradiction in Quality Engineering and management between the Automotive and Aerospace industry AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
V Thinning percentage in sheet metal forming per SES (Suzuki Engineering Standard) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Usability/human factors engineering requirement (standard) for IVD medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R Creating WIs for a Heavy Civil Engineering Services company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
S Ballooned Drawings and Engineering Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
J Class 1 Medical Device ECR (Engineering Change Request) Changes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Tactics to work with Design Engineering on CAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
D Are detailed engineering requirements Design Inputs or Design Outputs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14
2 First Article Requirements for Revision Changes of Engineering AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Engineering change order versus a design change request ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Applicability of ISO 9001:2015 Section 8.5 - Engineering company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Setting up a quality department in an Engineering Firm Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
C ISO 9001 2015 Documentation for Engineering and Design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
I Engineering Drawing = Record or Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
G ISO 9001:2015 8.3 Design and Development (in Civil Engineering) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G FAI (First Article Inspection) Responsibility - QC or Engineering? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q M-282 - Engineering Standard for Tolerances - Is it ASTM, DIN? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Supplier Revision Confirmation of Received Engineering Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Document Control Guidelines in Engineering Projects - Excel sheets with VBA coding Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Software Suggestions for Engineering Change/QMS Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
M New MHRA guidance on Human Factors - Usability Engineering IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
S Process Map for an Engineering Consulting Firm Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
S Quality Measure for Engineering Services Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
G Senior Project for BS Mechanical Engineering Student Career and Occupation Discussions 4
L BSI White Paper on Human Factors/Usability Engineering IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 12
M More than canned audit check-sheets? Auditing the Engineering Department Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
A Remote Support Location Audit - Engineering prototyping and process evaluation Internal Auditing 2
M Engineering Release Process Owner Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
jkuil Cleanroom Equipment and Furniture Engineering Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
N Inspection Requirements & Engineering Drawings - Measuring Shaft Dia. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16