Engineering Approval - Example needed!

When will QS-9000 officially be announced as defunct?

• Within 12 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over 12 months

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • It'll just keep going & going & going & going & goi....

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Stuart Andrews

Involved - Posts
Hi
Can someone provide me with an example of "Engineering Approval" (E.A.) and at what stage would this occur.

I'm finding it hard to comprehend how this would be different from a signed-off PSW. And the fact that if it is an Approval, then a submission must have been submitted for it to be approved? :frust: Just can't seem to get my head around this one.

Any help is appreciated. :confused:

D

D.Scott

I understand you to be referring to 4.13.4 Engineering Approved Product Authorization.

When a product cannot meet the currently approved criteria, the customer may accept a "short term" variation untill the problem can be resolved.

For example if your supplier of a base material suddenly went out of business with no notice and no material was available, the customer might allow you to use a substitute material for a specified time (or quantity) untill the new replacement could be evaluated and approved (or the original material again became available). Sometimes you see an approval for non-critical "out-of-spec" measurements while a die or mold is being repaired.

Once the authorization is received, you must be able to track ALL of the approved/different product thus the requirement for additional record-keeping.

Hope this answers the question.

Dave

A

Al Dyer

Stuart,

Examples and timing can be found in the AIAG PPAP manual.

Just as an aside, I have been performing part submissions to the big 3 for 20 odd years and have never been had the need or desire to use and E.A. report/form. Might be a part/product specific type of thing that I have not run across.

Any others out there use an E.A. document?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Design Engineering Approval

First, let's define what engineering approval we're talking about. Is this design engineering, process engineering?

Design Engineering: An engineering approval is done any time there is a design approval or when there is a change where engineering is involved. For example, if I have a foundation brake assembly and find that a certain spring does not meet spec and I talk to the manufacturer and it turns out I screwed up earlier and should have had looser specs on the spring tension at a given length. Or - maybe a spring which is seeing field failures and a design change recommendation (request, whatever). Someone submits the 'recommended' change to design engineering because they own the print which calls out the spring characteristics. I may want and need the change but I can't have it until I have design engineering approval which involves a print revision. Often the engineering approval, as Al pointed out, is not a stand alone document but rather is a place for a signature on a larger form - such as an engineering change approval form where multiple groups have to sign off.

The engineering approval would be part of the PSW package if you have to go back through that (often for a change you can get approval to do a subset rather than go through the entire PPAP process - it depends on how extensive the change is, it's impact, etc.). Of course, this is assuming the part is already in production. In most of these situations there are typically a number of 'functional groups' (such as the process folks) who may also have to approve the change.

So - you may need a engineering signoff several times in the life of the part after the initial release - not just at the release (start of new part). Your design change system should define how it works where you are.

Or - maybe I'm lost on what's being asked. I'm somewhat confused today. Too many balls in the air. :rolleyes:

S

Sam

At a previous company doing business with Ford we had a "Engineering Authorization" form as part of our PPAP submission. This form was part of the Q1 (1995) and the submission that Ford used titled ISIR.
This form was submitted to the Ford Product development engineer for sign-off prior to PPAP submittal. When the approved form was received it was placed in the ISIR package and submitted for Ford SQA sign-off.

Stuart Andrews

Involved - Posts
Thanks for your replies folks!
Maybe I should have been more Specific in my wording. I was referring to the definition in the PPAP manual.

And from your replies you have answered it for me.
Thank you.

Top Bottom