Engineering Material Specifications - Paint (zinc phosphate) and e-coat

S

shawnann

I've been coming to the Cove for a while now and it's been very helpful thus far. I am in the need of getting Engineering Material Specification sheets for paint with regards to Ford, GM, Chrysler (or whatever their name is now :lol:), Honda, & Toyota. We currently have old ones for Ford, GM, & Chrysler, but they are at least 7 years old and pretty much completely out of date. There are no order forms or contact information in any of the ones we currently have and I've searched online and only found one place that has them, but they want to charge like $30 for each specification and there are a lot of them we'd need.

Anyway, we are an e-coater, so the specifications have to do with paint (zinc phosphate).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Engineering Material Specifications - Paint

I've been coming to the Cove for a while now and it's been very helpful thus far. I am in the need of getting Engineering Material Specification sheets for paint with regards to Ford, GM, Chrysler (or whatever their name is now :lol:), Honda, & Toyota. We currently have old ones for Ford, GM, & Chrysler, but they are at least 7 years old and pretty much completely out of date. There are no order forms or contact information in any of the ones we currently have and I've searched online and only found one place that has them, but they want to charge like $30 for each specification and there are a lot of them we'd need.

Anyway, we are an e-coater, so the specifications have to do with paint (zinc phosphate).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello shawnann,

I have conducted some "research" but was not able to come up with something useful. Being an automotive supplier, you should be able to obtain the specs from- or through your Customers. Have you actually asked?

BTW, if they are available, and you need to purchase them, that's the cost of doing business. Many of our Friends here at The Cove must purchase documents for their organizations.

Stijloor.

S

shawnann

Thanks for your reply Stijloor,

We've been able to get some from our customers, but unfortunately not all of our customers have these either. We've purchased the entire package of the specifications from each auto company (Ford, GM, Chrysler) in the past and the prices were very reasonable (about $50 to $150 for each company), unfortunately I am unable to find any information on buying them directly from them again.

The problem isn't that we have to purchase them, the problem is the place we found that we can purchase them from would end up charging us about $24,000 just for GM's alone. That is a 500 percent mark-up of what they cost originally from GM, granted that was 7 years ago, but that was back when they actually printed and mailed them to you on a monthly basis for updates.

Back to doing some more research on this and maybe contacting a few other people who "might" be able to get these for us.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Thanks for your reply Stijloor,

The problem isn't that we have to purchase them, the problem is the place we found that we can purchase them from would end up charging us about $24,000 just for GM's alone. That is a 500 percent mark-up of what they cost originally from GM, granted that was 7 years ago, but that was back when they actually printed and mailed them to you on a monthly basis for updates.

Hello shawnann,

Wow! $24,000? That sounds extreme to me.

Any ideas Fellow Covers?

Stijloor.

S

shawnann

Exactly :lmao: According to their site they say there are over 800 specifications for paint just for GM and if they are wanting $30 a pop, that's way too much money. They are supposed to get back with me regarding a subsciption price, which would allow us to look at everything, but I'm sure at the rate of one document, the rate of a subscription will be pretty high also.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Exactly :lmao: According to their site they say there are over 800 specifications for paint just for GM and if they are wanting $30 a pop, that's way too much money. They are supposed to get back with me regarding a subsciption price, which would allow us to look at everything, but I'm sure at the rate of one document, the rate of a subscription will be pretty high also.

Hello shawnann,

I hope that my Fellow Covers will chime in soon.

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

We've been able to get some from our customers, but unfortunately not all of our customers have these either.

From this I assume you're not a Tier 1 supplier, but if your direct customers require you to perform in accordance with a standard, they're obliged to at least tell you where to get them. If this is a case of just building a library, it's possible that some standards aren't generally available in the absence of a contract or quote request.

S

shawnann

No we are not a Tier 1 supplier. I'm guessing that most of our customers aren't either, which is why we are having such a hard time getting these. I know one customer did give us the place where they get theirs from, which is the place that is so expensive.

We may just end up having an incomplete set for a while, until we can figure it all out.

Thanks for your help guys!

S

someshvar

Shawaan,

Well, I could help yo only for GM. I hope that you have access to gmsupplypower website as you said that you're Tier-1 supplier. Try searching it there.

As well, You can get in touch with GM Harmony Group Engineer, who should be able to help you on the same.

BTW, please let me know on which site you found the specifications.

Let me know if you need anything further.

Hardik Someshvar

S

shawnann

Hardik,

We do not have access to gmsupplypower and we are not a Tier-1 supplier.

The place we were able to find the standards at (at an ourtragous price) was IHS Standards Store.

Thanks for your reply!

Shawn Ann

Top Bottom