Engineering Release Process Owner

McQueenster

Starting to get Involved
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and have a question I'm hoping someone can help with.

I'm now in a position where I'm reviewing the processes for a smaller business and have a question regarding the engineering release process. ( The process where the product design is handed over to manufacturing). Historically this process has been owned by operations which makes sense to me as they are the gatekeeper to ensure only manufacturable products with a complete datapack are transferred. I wanted to hear is anyone has a different view on this process ownership.

In my previous roles Engineering owned the ECR process and Manufacturing owned the ECO process.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
McQueenster,

Release is an event, an instant in time. It is not a process.

If design and manufacturing are both part of operations then operations will decide.

But the owner of the design process should decide on the release of product and process design information when the design is verified and validated.

Of course, manufacturing is involved in this process.

John

McQueenster

Starting to get Involved
Thanks John,

I agree with your assessment that the release itself is a single point in time. However the engineering change request (ECR) and engineering change order (ECO) processes are the drivers for this event.

In my opinion, processes should only have one owner, if there are two owners then the process needs to be untangled into processes that have only one owner.

To clarify my question, is the ECR process usually owned by engineering and the ECO process owned by operations (manufacturing)?

Cheers
McQueenster

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks John,

I agree with your assessment that the release itself is a single point in time. However the engineering change request (ECR) and engineering change order (ECO) processes are the drivers for this event.

In my opinion, processes should only have one owner, if there are two owners then the process needs to be untangled into processes that have only one owner.

To clarify my question, is the ECR process usually owned by engineering and the ECO process owned by operations (manufacturing)?

Cheers
McQueenster
McQueenster,

In my experience the ECR is initiated by those experiencing difficulty with the design.

Once this difficulty is resolved it results in an ECO. The ECO is also issued with other "permanent" design changes and for the original issue of the drawings and specifications.

As such both the forms would be owned by Engineering as part of their design change control process.

Controlling nonconforming product would tie-in to this process for resolving dispositions: use-as-is and repair.

John

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
It all depends on how the team you're playing with is structured.

I've seen engineering own it all, and I've seen manufacturing take the handoff at a point and finish it themselves.

I'd advocate that manufacturing gets to define what the deliverables are. If they can get engineering to do all of that work, wonderful.

If not, or if they want to format some of the deliverables in more detail than engineering can be bothered with, then they get to finish it on their own, as long as the final product meets engineering's approval.

ECR usually belongs to manufacturing, ECO to engineering. But processes rarely have one owner in the small arenas I play in. Processes cross department lines when you play for a small team.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Engineering Drawing Pre-Release/Advance Release Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D Engineering Change Order (ECO) metrics to track ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Marc Job Opportunity - Engineering Technician - Suspense 23 Sept 2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
J UCLA extension Medical Device Engineering Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
G Engineering retest in line - Machine stability issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
I Good resources for learning statistics (quality engineering related) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
B Lessons Learned Implementing ISO 50001 (Chemical Engineering Progress) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
G Engineering Specifications - APQP APQP and PPAP 5
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
C E signatures on Engineering Change Notes AS9100 / AS9116 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Icy Mountain Engineering Change Order...Modification Order Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
jjmusicjr Implementing Machine Replacement Part Reverse engineering technology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T Why are most companies have Quality reporting to Engineering or Operations and not to CEO ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
I Document templates required for ISO ISO 45001 - Engineering Construction company Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
R The alignments and contradiction in Quality Engineering and management between the Automotive and Aerospace industry AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
D Engineering Drawing Review and Approval Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
V Thinning percentage in sheet metal forming per SES (Suzuki Engineering Standard) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Usability/human factors engineering requirement (standard) for IVD medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R Creating WIs for a Heavy Civil Engineering Services company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
S Ballooned Drawings and Engineering Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
J Class 1 Medical Device ECR (Engineering Change Request) Changes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Tactics to work with Design Engineering on CAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
D Are detailed engineering requirements Design Inputs or Design Outputs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14
2 First Article Requirements for Revision Changes of Engineering AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Engineering change order versus a design change request ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Applicability of ISO 9001:2015 Section 8.5 - Engineering company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Setting up a quality department in an Engineering Firm Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
C ISO 9001 2015 Documentation for Engineering and Design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
I Engineering Drawing = Record or Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
G ISO 9001:2015 8.3 Design and Development (in Civil Engineering) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G FAI (First Article Inspection) Responsibility - QC or Engineering? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q M-282 - Engineering Standard for Tolerances - Is it ASTM, DIN? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Supplier Revision Confirmation of Received Engineering Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Document Control Guidelines in Engineering Projects - Excel sheets with VBA coding Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Software Suggestions for Engineering Change/QMS Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
M New MHRA guidance on Human Factors - Usability Engineering IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
S Process Map for an Engineering Consulting Firm Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
S Quality Measure for Engineering Services Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
G Senior Project for BS Mechanical Engineering Student Career and Occupation Discussions 4
L BSI White Paper on Human Factors/Usability Engineering IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 12
M More than canned audit check-sheets? Auditing the Engineering Department Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
A Remote Support Location Audit - Engineering prototyping and process evaluation Internal Auditing 2
jkuil Cleanroom Equipment and Furniture Engineering Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
N Inspection Requirements & Engineering Drawings - Measuring Shaft Dia. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
S Engineering Audits - Internal Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Implementing a new quality management system for a new engineering company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Engineering Drawings - Once a customer has signed off on an engineering drawing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Bachelor of Engineering Course - Distance learning Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
L How to document use of wrong engineering drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 22