Engineering SOPs

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
In a perfect world I would do the same. But I find my power of recollection imperfect, so reading procedures ahead of time would not add value: I would not remember all of what it said. And so, I review the process first and then compare it to the SOP if I get a sense of an issue and pursue it.
This is closer to what we have seen. We are usually walking the process -- say purchasing, manufacturing, etc. Showing the auditor what we do and answering any questions. They are comparing to the applicable clauses of the standard. If there is something unclear, or that we don't have a recent example of, we may pull the written procedure out to show the step where it would occur. Heck, my last auditor refused to look at our procedures where we show the communications required pursuant to ISO -- she wanted a matrix, no ifs ands or buts. We are a small company, to complex, multi-department procedures aren't really applicable.

Randy

Super Moderator
Process this, SOP that, Fadiddle-daddle thingy bob.

Here's a PROCESS, SOP, PROCEDURE, INSTRUCTION, and everything else that's getting wrapped around an axle. What you call it matters not one iota, find a name and move on.
Engineering SOPs

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
I think you're missing the point. It's been alleged some type of nefariousness by the company and/or auditors because these "SOP" where not uncovered during an audit.
Speaking of allegations..... The OP said they are being dinged by the new auditors. Are you alleging the new auditors are wrong? And the OP is wrong?

Golfman25

Speaking of allegations..... The OP said they are being dinged by the new auditors. Are you alleging the new auditors are wrong? And the OP is wrong?
No idea what they are being dinged for. There is a whole lot more to the OPs story We don’t know. But we like to jump to conclusions on these types of boards. It’s what we do when there are gaps to fill. :)

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
…Old folks still think of checking parts when they hear quality.
“Old Folks”? As an “old folk” I can tell you that those men from those days are dead folk…and it’s a horribly broad brush that is simply isn’t true. I know many ‘young folks’ who think quality is just inspection…

Golfman25

“Old Folks”? As an “old folk” I can tell you that those men from those days are dead folk…and it’s a horribly broad brush that is simply isn’t true. I know many ‘young folks’ who think quality is just inspection…
Lighten up just a tad. But you're right, a lot of them are dead folks.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I presume you mean you compare the results of the audit of the process with what the documented procedure says should be happening, Jen :)
Yes. I am at least as interested in what the procedures don't say as what they do say.

It's worth keeping in mind that these days I almost always audit chemical plants, usually to multiple standards at once. There is no way I can read all those procedures ahead of time, I wouldn't remember their details anyway. Others, such as hazardous waste handling, and the site's emergency response plan (especially to compare the guard shack's Post Orders with the site Emergency Response Plan) are reviewed routinely.

Randy

Super Moderator
Others, such as hazardous waste handling, and the site's emergency response plan (especially to compare the guard shack's Post Orders with the site Emergency Response Plan) are reviewed routinely.
Pretty much cut & paste with moderate plagerization between all of them. Seen 1 you've seen 37.5 of em.

Top Bottom