Ensuring Current Revision

C

C Emmons

During our transition to the new ISO 9k2k - we have decided to do away with our "paper" quality system and put our manuals online - is it acceptable to put a disclaimer at the bottom of the page stating Obsolete 24 hours after print - access current revision on-line?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
C,

What "manuals" do you intend to put on-line? Just the Quality Policy Manual, or other things like work instructions also?

Who will be the user(s)? Why and how often will they need a printed copy?

In general, Jim's idea of checking ther paper copy rev. against an on-line master sounds good IF the paper users can get access to the on-line master. They could just look at the Windows directory for the latest revision for a given document and compare it to their paper copy rev.

I guess I need more detail to understand your needs.

C

C Emmons

Actually we are putting all on line, policy manual, procedures, and work instructions. To be honest about it, work instructions we be accessed more than the rest. The main reason I am doing it is the amount of time it takes to keep up a paper system with 20 different facilities.

K

KenS

When I started here the system was the disclaimer on the bottom something to the effect of valid only on date printed. My first audit pointed out to the Quality Manager (he wouldn't listen before) how many documents were used/completed over a period of days/weeks, just on the manufacturing floor. Now the disclaimer requires verification with the soft copy. I'm still not thrilled with it because of a lack of "objective evidence" of said verification. However, when asked, al the techs know where and how to verify a document. Best I can do so far.

As an aside, one of our other facilities is registered to 1994, has the print date disclaimer, and has never been questioned by the auditor although I have been there and frequently seen "out of date" procedures being used. It seems that they print everything new the day of the audit.:rolleyes:

C

C Emmons

I like the idea of the print date - My MIS department was looking at an easy way to do it. Thank you to all for your adivce

C

C Emmons

Jim Wade said:

Hi again Cindy

I note that your business is a pickup and delivery service.

Will all the people who need work instructions to do their jobs be able to access them electronically immediately they need them?

rgds Jim

No. I have Driver and Dock Work Instruction Boards at each facilty with protected copies posted. All of the dock and drivers are aware of where they are posted if needed.

C

C Emmons

Jim Wade said:

That sounds like a great way to handle things, Cindy - and thanks for not pointing out how dumb my question was!

What I don't understand is the significance of your remark that "work instructions will be accessed more than the rest".

How so?

rgds Jim

We have an admin office - and 20 terminals - in the terminals is where most of the task level processes are performed, plus more likely to have more new people. The policies and procedures seem to serve managment and not so much everyone else. We want everyone to be aware, and understand what is in them -but they really dont use policy and procedure much at that level.

M

M Greenaway

C E

Our disclaimer says that the printed copy is uncontrolled - your approach also sounds fine to me so long as the copies show the print date (obvious I know).

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
Looks like we do pretty much same thing...

This is what we have put in the footer of all our online docs (QM/procedures/specs/work instructions/etc...

The master document is controlled electronically.
Printed copies of this document are NOT CONTROLLED.
Quality Document Users are responsible for ensuring printed documents are valid prior to use.
8/19/02 1:08 PM

The date and time stamp are automatic.

C

C Emmons

Re: Looks like we do pretty much same thing...

E Wall said:

This is what we have put in the footer of all our online docs (QM/procedures/specs/work instructions/etc...

The master document is controlled electronically.
Printed copies of this document are NOT CONTROLLED.
Quality Document Users are responsible for ensuring printed documents are valid prior to use.
8/19/02 1:08 PM

The date and time stamp are automatic.

Thank you all for your advice suggestions. I spoke with my MIS guy - he is going make the date and time stamp automatic and I am placing a footer on all documents.

Top Bottom