Ensuring Improvement and Handling Change

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
target at hand is improving effectiveness of a system (for eg., FMEA)
task is to
1) comprehensive representation of all risks and action plans;
viz., establishing the role of facilitator, providing guidance documents for identificaiton of risks Simple Representation for Scope of DFMEA and PFMEA
& specific to our case is an action on revising the scoring criteria
etc.,

2) summarizing/conclusion reporting of FMEA.(implementation of heat maps)(categorize the risks into design-controls & process-controls + open-closed-differred risks)

I got team members: who want to work based on ease of implementation; (giving the name of simplicity, doing what is possible; NOT, what is required!!! and naming it as complexity) what i mean here is that, for eg., team says that they would like to present the pareto (which is also an usefull tool) but not as effective as heat map (Severity vs occurrence & then against detectability)

and report is simply taken as additional responsibility, without realizing the importance and significance of it in concluding/reporting the risks.

bringing the whole team to discussion itself is becoming a burden; escalation would further alienate them from concept & especially from me(my initiatives).

hope to hear from gurus of resolving such situations.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
target at hand is improving effectiveness of a system (for eg., FMEA)
Did you care to assign a measurable indicator for this? Was the initiative linked to Business Objectives of your Organization? Does meeting the target influence the Performance appraisals of the key stakeholders?
More than anything, was the initiative given due recognition by the Top Management (cliche intended)?

v9991

Did you care to assign a measurable indicator for this?
Was the initiative linked to Business Objectives of your Organization?
Does meeting the target influence the Performance appraisals of the key stakeholders?
More than anything, was the initiative given due recognition by the Top Management (cliche intended)?
Answer to first 3 questions is YES;
measurable-indicator is interms of providing a change-proposal with justifications-references (1st post indicates those two changes proposed to improvise the system)
business objectives :- it is linked with one of organizational initiative (in fact, that is one of feedback we got it from outside as well)
performance appraisal :- is again yes, as above two points indicate, its obvious.
and actually that is what is probably leading to false/low targets; just do what is simply possible, and tick the task as done!!!(but thats my guess.)

last answer is, NO, exactly what I really miss; I wouldnt call it recognition but I would like to use the term "involvement";
i would like to hear some ideas about getting involvement of management; because all the current approaches are not working (or are opposed; viz., the proposal for presenting risk summary in review meeting is not yet accepted)

Last edited:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
It all comes down to money, doesn't it?

Your people believe - and probably correctly - that they are being judged on the value of the goods they produce. FMEAs very often feel like a paperwork exercise for both the people doing them and the management. No sellable widget pops out at the end, after all.

Deciding otherwise usually takes time, or new leadership, or a crisis/epiphany. Kotter (he of the 8-Step Kotter Model of change management) has a book out titled The Heart of Change, with stories of companies and their changes. I like the Kotter method for managing change, but in my lowly position I have usually had to wait until the people made up their own minds, then said "What a great idea!" because I care most that it gets done; it can't always happen on my wishing.

Not everything with an FMEA's high RPN must be addressed. The organization gets to decide - unless the issue impacts the customer, of course. In fact I often advise to start with the clearly obtainable - that also has measurable outcomes we can point to and say "See here, see how much benefit the effort brought." After gaining confidence in the change process (nothing imploded, we learn how to change one thing without causing negative effects to something else) we can become more bold and demand more of ourselves.

I hope this helps!

v9991

Deciding otherwise usually takes time, or new leadership, or a crisis/epiphany.
Yes, almost always thats true; in fact its sad/more with initial phase of newer systems. and still we manage to call them improvements while all those systems are in response to an audit observation or product failure!!! (not to mention the resistance or reluctance to the change)

... but in my lowly position I have usually had to wait until the people made up their own minds, then said "What a great idea!" because I care most that it gets done; it can't always happen on my wishing.
'
how do you manage to stay that disconnected; (especially, you knew it, indicated it, tried&failed to implement; and it was resisted...) and suddenly one fine day, the same things back to you as recommendation (worst case from an outsider, consultant, and even better from the same boss!!!)
is it different to face above situation as an consultants than facing it from employee-end?

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Question: Best alternatives to audits for ensuring compliance Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
F ISO 17025:2017 Clause 7.7 Ensuring the validity of results - Threshold ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
U ISO 17025:2017 Clause 7.7 Ensuring the Validity of Calibration Results ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Q Any good Checklists for ensuring SOPs cover ISO 13485:2016 and 21CFR 820? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E AS9120B 8.4.2a Ensuring external providers remain within control of the QMS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
H On choosing touchscreen displays and ensuring IEC 60601 compliance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
M Complying with AS9100 D Section 8.4.3 m. Ensuring that persons are Aware of... AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 22
A Ensuring Tooling Use Tracking and Traceability AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Ensuring Print Dimensions are in Control Plans, WI's and Receiving Inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Ensuring Continuous Quality Raw Materials from Suppliers Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
S Ensuring Randomness in Collecting Chicken Samples for Microbiological Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
V What are the Steps in Ensuring a Definition/Implementation of an Effective Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J ISO 28002 for ensuring resilience throughout the Supply Chain Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 1
D ISO 9001 - Responsibilities of Top Management in ensuring availability of resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Design Trace Matrix Ensuring that Design Outputs meet Design Inputs wanted 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
T Best way of ensuring compliance with regulations as opposed to standards Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
A Ensuring Corrective and Preventive Action Reports that contribute to Efficiency? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
A ISO TS 16949 Certification Rules - Ensuring that all ISO/TS aspects has been audited IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J VDA 2 Ensuring the quality of deliveries - Where I can purchage an english version? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
L Ensuring All Employees Comply To Company Quality Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
J Ensuring contractor competency - 4.4.2 Training, awareness, and competency Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 26
C Ensuring Documents of External Origin are Identified and Distribution Controlled ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Ensuring Current Revision ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
PQ Systems Introducing Process Improvement to New Employees Using SQCpack Software 0
Q 10.3 Continual improvement - How to audit it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Sidney Vianna ISO 14001 News ISO 14001 Continual Improvement Survey ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 0
C ISO 14001 Internal Audit - Opportunity for Improvement ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
T Continual Improvement as Result of Corrective Action? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 32
optomist1 Rates Daily or Hourly Process Improvement Training Consultants and Consulting 2
D Continuous Improvement Plan - Plastic injection molding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M "Issue & continuous improvement" columns in AIAG-VDA PFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 4
G Lean Kaizen: continuous, step-by-step improvement in the Lean direction Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
R Opportunity For Improvement vs Opportunity (Positive Risk) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
R Change Management vs Opportunity for Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Proposed Quality Improvement - Thoughts? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
howste IAQG News Aerospace Improvement Maturity Model (AIMM) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
T OFI (Opportunity for Improvement) vs. AOC (Area of Concern) - Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
B Four Key Performance Indicators for Continual Improvement (Dec. 3 2019) [Deleted] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
M Master Dot for quality planning/improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Process Improvement and CAPAs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
A A Question about Continual improvement process in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M CMQ/OE or SSGB? I'm Quality management rather than process improvement oriented Career and Occupation Discussions 1
C Do we need to make a new OFI (Opportunity for Improvement) for each document/form we update? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
K QMS Improvement - Analyze the systemic weaknesses of the QMS for improvement purpose Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
S Government MotorPool Continuous Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
qualprod ISO 9001 - Cl 6.1 and 9.3 and 10 - Opportunities for Improvement the same? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H Need help on Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
qualprod ISO9001:2015 Cl. 9.1.1 and 9.1.3 evidenced with only improvement actions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Difference Process Objective/Opportunity for improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9