Entry Level Quality Engineer Interview Preparation/Advice?

PeterLe

Involved In Discussions
Hello everyone. This is my first post and I'm glad to have found such a wonderful forum! I am getting ready for a QE interview and had some general questions this great forum maybe able to address. I've already read a couple of threads, including this one: Quality Engineer Job Interview Questions, but I wanted something more specific to my situation.

Just a quick description. This is an entry level QE position for a relatively large medical device company. I've only worked in the start up medical device industry but only has a mechanical engineer, rather than a QE. However, I am making a switch to Mechanical to Quality. The interviewing process will be a "marathon" type of interview. I will be interviewed by the following:

Sr. Quality Manager
Principal Mfg. Engineer
Sr Supplier QE
Team Interview
Sr. Recruiter

What should I expect in this type of an interview? How technical can the interview be? I do have experience with dealing with quality but no actual experience. I want to show to them that I am CAPABLE of doing the job correctly.

Here are some of the responsibilities and qualifications for the job:
-Perform Root Cause analysis and implement corrective and preventative measures to improve product quality.
-Work closely with R&D and QC to produce products that meet specifications and perform as designed.
-Supervisory and motivational skills
-Excellent written and verbal communication skills
-AutoCad/ Solidworks
-Minitab
-QSR and ISO 9000 training
-Recognize problems and take corrective measures

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

G

George Weiss

An interview can depend on who you know.
In each interview, the questions will focus to the strength of the person asking them, or a standard format.
Questions will stay basic, and then off in left field to test depth.
You should be able to answer questions, and or know where to find answers you don’t know.
QMS is the company’s source for answers. You will be supporting the company’s answers.
Knowing about the company, their QMS, and their product will focus you to their questions.
If you have any chance to review their QMS, I would climb all over it!
Driving the discussions into the company's QMS with what you gathered controls the interviews to your advantage. Addressing situations with you skills can then be plugged into your discussions.:agree1:
More better comments to follow by others
A thread just appeared you could view @
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=25417

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chance

Hi Covers,

How are y'all? It's been a while since my last visit. I was on maternity leave since Nov of last year and currently in transition.

I have a job interview tomorrow for a Quality Assurance Engineer position - not an entry level, it is a managerial career level.
The job description is below:

Plans, organizes, coordinates, and directs the quality assurance program designed to ensure continuous production of cans consistent with established Plant and Corporate standards.

? Develops and analyzes statistical data and product specifications to determine present standards and establishes proposed quality and reliability expectancy of finished cans.

? Formulates and maintains quality control objectives and coordinates objectives with production procedures to maximize product reliability and minimize costs.

? Directs, through Production Management and Hourly Team Members the inspection and testing activities to ensure continuous control over materials, facilities, and cans.

? Plans, promotes, and organizes training activities related to can quality and reliability.

? Must do analysis to discover and apply remedies for the root or basic causes of quality defects.

? Responsible for all required paperwork and reports of the Quality Assurance function such as: HFI reports, Can-weight reports, axial load reports, QA audit reports, Corporate monthly reports, etc. Other duties, responsibilities, or roles may be assigned by the Plant Manager or the Management Team.
They won't tell me the salary range, currently there is no process related problem that needs immediate attention. This is not a new position, the previous employee for 30 years retired. They want somebody to help them align their processes and help them coordinate Lean Mfg and six sigma methodology per my phone conversation with the HR Manager but it is not mentioned in the job description.
Can someone help me by giving some advice?

Thanks,
Chance

Last edited by a moderator:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Hi Covers,

How are y'all? It's been a while since my last visit. I was on maternity leave since Nov of last year and currently in transition.

I have a job interview tomorrow for a Quality Assurance Engineer position - not an entry level, it is a managerial career level.
The job description is below:

Plans, organizes, coordinates, and directs the quality assurance program designed to ensure continuous production of cans consistent with established Plant and Corporate standards.

? Develops and analyzes statistical data and product specifications to determine present standards and establishes proposed quality and reliability expectancy of finished cans.

? Formulates and maintains quality control objectives and coordinates objectives with production procedures to maximize product reliability and minimize costs.

? Directs, through Production Management and Hourly Team Members the inspection and testing activities to ensure continuous control over materials, facilities, and cans.

? Plans, promotes, and organizes training activities related to can quality and reliability.

? Must do analysis to discover and apply remedies for the root or basic causes of quality defects.

? Responsible for all required paperwork and reports of the Quality Assurance function such as: HFI reports, Can-weight reports, axial load reports, QA audit reports, Corporate monthly reports, etc. Other duties, responsibilities, or roles may be assigned by the Plant Manager or the Management Team.
They won't tell me the salary range, currently there is no process related problem that needs immediate attention. This is not a new position, the previous employee for 30 years retired. They want somebody to help them align their processes and help them coordinate Lean Mfg and six sigma methodology per my phone conversation with the HR Manager but it is not mentioned in the job description.
Can someone help me by giving some advice?

Thanks,
Chance
All my experience tells me the most successful job interviews are those where the candidate makes his/her [potential] value to the organization the primary focus of the interview. Try not to be led off into gossip about past employers, competitors, customers, etc.

One way to create value is by telling stories of personal successes on the job or in life and relating those successes to the attributes listed in the job description.

As far as salary is concerned:
Find a salary survey from a recent issue of Quality Magazine (available online), find a salary range for a position comparable to what the job listing states and THEN create a compelling story of why you are a candidate at the top end of the salary curve, and NOT to be lumped in with the "average" people at the middle of the range.

It is a sad tale, but true: many candidates leave thousands and thousands of dollars at the negotiating table because they agree to the fiction "start in the middle and work your way up."

The truth is a candidate is ALWAYS better off by presenting him/her self as a leader of the pack.

Good luck:cfingers:

Added in edit:
Consider reading through this post about a Skills Assessment Matrix to help you outline the image you want to present at your interview

Last edited:
C

Chance

Wes,

Thank you so much for sharing this to me. Yes I will try to focus on how I can contribute for the benefit of the organisation.
Yes I will refer to the salary curve in the online magazine.
I will try my best, I hate going to interviews but here I am again looking for a job.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Wes,

Thank you so much for sharing this to me. Yes I will try to focus on how I can contribute for the benefit of the organisation.
I will try my best, I hate going to interviews but here I am again looking for a job.
Given the timing of your post, you may have missed this addition to my post
Added in edit:
Consider reading through this post about a Skills Assessment Matrix to help you outline the image you want to present at your interview

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
<snip>
As far as salary is concerned:
Find a salary survey from a recent issue of Quality Magazine (available online), find a salary range for a position comparable to what the job listing states and THEN create a compelling story of why you are a candidate at the top end of the salary curve, and NOT to be lumped in with the "average" people at the middle of the range.

It is a sad tale, but true: many candidates leave thousands and thousands of dollars at the negotiating table because they agree to the fiction "start in the middle and work your way up."

The truth is a candidate is ALWAYS better off by presenting him/her self as a leader of the pack.

Good luck:cfingers:

Added in edit:
Consider reading through this post about a Skills Assessment Matrix to help you outline the image you want to present at your interview.

Wes,

An alternate point of view on using salary surveys as ammunition: I think it's rarely a good idea. The ASQ survey data might be helpful in a small way in understanding what the general range might be, but local conditions vary widely, as do the duties and competencies within each general job title. Expecting a hiring authority to be impressed by the data is not likely to have the expected outcome. You should have an idea of what people are being paid for similar work in your geographic area, or the area where the employer is located. Because the employer isn't willing to divulge at least a range up front, you can expect to be lowballed with an initial offer, if it gets that far. Once the interview is done, you'll have a better idea of whether you want the job or not, and you'll know how to handle an offer.

C

Chance

I feel so blessed to be a member of this awesome forum! Thanks Big Jim and Wes as always you guys are always there when I needed help. You don't have no idea how much I learned from you guys! Thanks again!:bigwave:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
While browsing the salary.com site, I came across this article on salary negotiation (http://www.salary.com/everything-is-negotiable-learn-the-power-factors/)

It's not bad, in my opinion. Although she never mentions the term "System of Profound Knowledge"(SoPK) by Deming, she comes very close to describing the features of SoPK which are key in negotiating a salary from a position of strength.

It really does come down to RESEARCH!

Top Bottom