Environmental FMEA - Is it possible to create an environmental FMEA?

J

JM_RESEARCH

Hi all is it possible to create an environmental FMEA? Has anyone done this in the past and how did it go?

Your views would be appreciated

James

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Environmental FMEA

I think it is, but there would be more columns than the three for RPN. I made a version for safety - see it here. I want to make one for my Environmental Engineer, but things are so busy these days I haven't managed it. I hope my Safety FMEA gives you ideas. Feel free to adapt my FMEA and share with us. It's fun to share!

J

JM_RESEARCH

:thanx:

Thats great, i like the hazards part. Which covers part of the environmental element however i'm also interested in the specific environmental wastes (recycling, scrap, rework) but I think I could adapt this method, its a good start.

Think I will have to put my thinking cap on.

Many thanks again

James

S

Sanda

Here is an example of Environmental FMEA. However, the most difficult part of this was to finding the right Rankings for Severity, Occurrence, Control, etc..

PS. I translated the form from Romanian, so maybe some words could be difficult to understand.

Attachments

• Environmental example.xls
    24 KB · Views: 597

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Hi all is it possible to create an environmental FMEA? Has anyone done this in the past and how did it go?

James

Almost all of my ISO 14001 clients used a quasi-FMEA style matrix to define their Aspects and Impacts. They added a few columns for volume and regulations, but the format works well.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

Here is an example of Environmental FMEA. However, the most difficult part of this was to finding the right Rankings for Severity, Occurrence, Control, etc..

PS. I translated the form from Romanian, so maybe some words could be difficult to understand.
A wonderful contribution! Thank you. :thanks:

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator

James

James,

Not only is it possible it is desirable, consider making every regulated aspect significant:

Gather a small (3 to 8) team representing the riskiest processes/products (significant aspects).

• Brainstorm the potential emergencies
  • Rank the ones that are most likely and most serious
  • Ensure preventive action is taken on these
  • Include documented operational controls for all siginificant aspects
  • Rerank the ones (see 2 above) that are most likely and most serious (after effective preventive action)
  • List the aspects arising from each potential emergency
  • Ensure the emergency plan includes controls limiting the adverse impacts of the most likely/damaging types of emergency
  • Include something for the employees like choking or heart attack if not already covered by your management system
Repeat with every re-run of the EIA when planning changes to the products, processes and facilities.

This approach has worked well for my clients for many years.

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom