Environmental Management Representative

Randy

Super Moderator
To what extent should the EMR be involved in the day-to-day implementation process of ISO 14001?

Should the EMR attend Implementation Cross Functional Team meetings?

Should the EMR be a member of Top Management too?

Would the lack of EMR participation in meetings and development of the system be a finding, or would the appointment of a "Designee" to perform the day-to-day stuff suffice?

[This message has been edited by Randy (edited 20 July 2001).]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

goose

Our MR is like the Project Leader for EMS implementation. There is a cross-functional "core team" that deals in day to day for their areas. The MR serves also as a technical expert.

MR calls and reports during Management Reviews or project team meetings with core team to review progress, problems etc.

Our MR is carries the title of Environmental Health and Safety Manager.

Randy

Super Moderator
I'm just curious to know if a lack of evidence of the EMR participating in the day-to-day implementation/operations of the EMS would constitute a "Finding"?

I've been assisting with the implementation of an EMS with a company and have not met the EMR yet. We've had a couple of Implementation Team meetings since I've been on board and he has not been there.

I just need to ascertain as to whether or not the EMR can delegate responsibility to anothe individual and not be a visible up front participant. I told my client that as an Auditor if I was doing a record check and couldn't see where the EMR was active in the system it would be a finding and probably a major one.

G

goose

We have a "responsibility matrix" that allows for delegation to core personnel involvement within theirareas of responsibility.

We do have a good deal of evidence; meeting minutes, Emails etc that the MR is right in the thick of things.

The MR is the "go to guy" for us; I would not feel comfortable if he wasn't involved!

Randy, The requirement is that top management appoint a management representative(s) . . .

There could be a MR from each departmrnt/area that reports the sratus to top management. Each MR would need to have a defined role and responsibility for their area. Also I would think thst each MR would nrneed to be knowledgeable in ISO14000 plus the CFR and OSHA reporting requirements.

IMO, it would be too confusing to have more than one MR, but the requireemnt is to appoint one or more MR's. If that is not defined then I would say "yes" there would be a finding.

Randy

Super Moderator
How much time should the Management Rep spend on the initial system implementation? 25%? 50%? 100%?

To me if I don't see 25% or better I find it difficult to believe the committment is real.

G

goose

Randy,

Our MR is spending 50% plus on implementation at least (I just ask him) . He chairs all related meetings of an EMS core team, tracks progress via timeline, interfaces with Registrar (our Regustrar doc. review is in progress as we speak), reports progress to Management.. You name it, the MR is in the middle of it.

25% seems light to me although I do not know what the right % is.

J

Jim Biz

Randy - 4 what it's worth - we handeled "MR appointments" with separate Job descripts (even If one person is assigned more than one job title)

Reason: should our internal situation change to the point where we can actually have a single person in a single set of job duties - all the details are available.

Regards
Jim

G

goose

Randy

In a L-2 procedure addressing 9.4.4.1 Structure and Responsibility we document that the "EHS Manager is appointed the MR responsible for ........ and reporting on the suitability and effectiveness of the EMS system during Mgt reviews........

Additionally top level Org Chart indicates EHS Manager is MR

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Templates for Environmental, Safety and quality Management System wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Environmental Management System Lead Auditor Competence ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
S Question about environmental control - Pest control management procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Guidance - Setting up an integrated quality & environmental management system Career and Occupation Discussions 12
B EMP (Environmental Management Program) for an Office Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
I Environmental - Office Recycling and Waste Management Programme and Objectives Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
R Quality and Environmental Management System Integration Benchmarking 11
T What are the best books on Environmental Management Systems to ISO 14001 Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 11
B How do you combine Quality Management and Environmental Management? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
Sidney Vianna ISO Standard for Phased Implementation of Environmental Management Systems - SME's ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
D ISO 9001:2008 and Environmental Management System (EMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
somashekar Environmental and OH&S Management Continual Improvement Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
D EMS (Environmental Management System) related criteria for Design Works Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
S Environmental Management System (EMS) Employee Handbook example wanted Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
Sidney Vianna Examples of Preventive Actions in an EMS (Environmental Management System) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 16
P A Procedure for an Environmental Management Program Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
P EMS (Environmental Management System) ISO 14001 Audit example wanted ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 16
B How to increase integration between our Quality & Environmental Management Systems Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
D EKOAward - For Students of Environmental Management Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
A Key Differences and Similarities between Environmental and Quality Management Systems Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
N Environmental/Waste Management SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
T Environmental Management System (EMS) "101" Basics Brochure to Share? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
D How do you think of this EMS (environmental management system) scope? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
G Examples for Process Orientation - Core Process in Environmental Management System Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 9
K Article about Discipline Related to Quality/Environmental Management System The Reading Room 2
A What are the steps for EMS (environmental management system) implementation? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
E Integration of six sigma and environmental management systems Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
O Environmental Management Program, sample Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
T Incorporating green purchasing into federal agency environmental management systems Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
J Merging EMS (Environmental Management System) with QMS (Quality Management System)? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 9
S Environmental Management Program - Reducing electric and fuel use, waste management Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 25
L Environmental Management (M.Sc degree) Career advice needed: Auditor Career and Occupation Discussions 6
RoxaneB ISO 14000 EMS (Environmental Management System) Surveillance Audit Results Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 23
M ISO 14001 EMS (Environmental Management System) Training ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
A ISO 14001 - 4.4.4 Environmental Management System ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
L ISO 14001 - Environmental Management Program - To govern continual improvement? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
S ISO 19011 (Quality and/or environmental management systems) has been published by ISO General Auditing Discussions 5
C MSDS & EMS (Environmental Management System) Linkage Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
Raffy Defining the Environmental Management Group - Where do I start? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
D IQA's (Institute of Quality Assurance) Unit C5 - Environmental Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Marc Integrated Quality, Safety and Environmental System management - The Future? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Laboratory Environmental Conditions Outside of limits ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A How to address Environmental & OHS Opportunities? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
I Environmental Policy Content - ISO 14001 Clause 5.2 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
dhuot1990 Issues with REES Environmental Monitoring System Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Kuldeep Singh How to verify the Storage and Transport environmental condition for Medical Device Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
M What is Environmental intelligence specific to IVDs or Medical devices? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
W Organizational Responsibility for Environmental Compliance of Products REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
M PDCA cycle - Process mapping - Environmental ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1