EO (Ethylene Oxide) Residuals - EN ISO 10993-7:2008

I

Institute

Hello,
Can anyone help with the determination/calculation of EO, ECH residuals for limited exposure devices. We have determined (GC) amount of EO residuals, which is 1 ppm per product (extract) and now I have to establish limit for product according to TCL (tolerable contact limit) and A (surface area)....so I will calculate TCL x A and then justify that the product has (because of 1ppm) acceptable EO residuals according to EN ISO.

Am I right?

Thank you!
By!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello,
Can anyone help with the determination/calculation of EO, ECH residuals for limited exposure devices. We have determined (GC) amount of EO residuals, which is 1 ppm per product (extract) and now I have to establish limit for product according to TCL (tolerable contact limit) and A (surface area)....so I will calculate TCL x A and then justify that the product has (because of 1ppm) acceptable EO residuals according to EN ISO.

Am I right?

Thank you!
Bye!
Help anyone?

Thanks!!

Stijloor.

Qara123

Involved In Discussions
Institute,

The ISO specification for limited exposure devices is 20mg. You have tested your device and the EO result is 1ppm per product extract. However, the units "mg" and "ppm" are not directly comparable and you should convert your results to "mg" to determine whether you meet the ISO specification.

Q

I

Institute

Hy Q,
I think that you mentioned old requirement for EO residual (20 mg) that is the reason why I wrote ISO 10993:2008, nevertheless I will check once again...

Bye

Qara123

Involved In Discussions
Institute,

Regardless of the ISO specification, my point is that the units "mg" and "ppm" are not directly comparable. For example, if a specification states "50 mg or less" and the results provided is "10 ppm", a reviewer would not be able to determine whether the result meets the specification without additional information because "ppm" is a dimensionless quantity.

Q

S

sway123

Institute,

I realize this response is very late, but it may help others in the future.

The 2008 version of 10993-7 states that for limited exposure devices the maximum dose of EO to the patient shall not exceed 4 mg in the first 24 h, and that the Tolerable Contact Limit (TCL) shall not exceed 10 ug/cm2. If you have measured your residuals, you can divide the EO residuals (in milligrams) by the extracted surface area of the device, and get the TCL in units of ug/cm2 (be sure to convert mg of EO to ug during calculation). The ppm measurement is based on the weight of the device and weight of residue.

Hope that helps someone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Informational USFDA Ethylene Oxide Sterilization for Medical Devices website Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational FDA Posts Information about Ethylene Oxide Sterilization and Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T ISO 10993-7 - Ethylene oxide sterilization residues Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
E Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Validation-Reference Load Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
D Ethylene Oxide Sterilization aeration Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Ethylene Oxide Sterile Implantable Medical Device Shelf Life Extension Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B Product definition for Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
D Adding an extra Label on an Ethylene Oxide Sterilized Box ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Switching Master Product in EO (Ethylene Oxide) Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
N Decision to file a new 510(k) - ETO (Ethylene Oxide) Sterilization Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
V Ethylene Oxide Testing Requirements as per US-pharmacopoeia Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
C ETO (Ethylene Oxide) Sterilization Audit Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
Sam Lazzara Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Validation question Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
arios Moving from Ethylene Oxide to Gamma Sterilization - What is required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
M EO (Ethylene Oxide) and ECH (Ethylene Chlorohydrin) Residual as per ISO 10993-7:2008 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
A Designing an Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Process Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
M Effect of double ETO (Ethylene Oxide) Sterilization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
M Ethylene Oxide Gas Shelf Life ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Biological Indicator Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11
M Faulty Bioindicator Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 16
K EN550 (ISO 11135-1:2007) - ETO (Ethylene Oxide) Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
V EMS for Medical Device Facility with Ethylene Oxide (ETO) Sterilization process. Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
K Iso 11135:1994 - Validation and Control of Ethylene Oxide Sterilization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S ECH (ethylene chlorohydrin) residues - Plastic catheter packed in a sterile bag Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
P PMMA IRK304 Resin and EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) Tape causes a Stain Mark Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Zinc Oxide as a Topical Application EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Black Oxide Gage Pin Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
P How to prove that Cr oxide makes a stent biocompatible (e-polished 316LVM) Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
M Is Dental Impression Paste (Zinc Oxide and Eugenol) a Drug 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
S Is there a difference in the process? Analyze residuals, construct interval estimate Using Minitab Software 2
S Least squares estimate, regression model and corresponding residuals Using Minitab Software 13
E Center Point Residuals on a Factorial Design using Minitab Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
S IV Catheter Biological Evaluation - EtO Residuals - Permanent Contact Definition Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
L Arima Output - Relationship between my raw data and the residuals generated Using Minitab Software 1
J Non-Normally Distributed Residuals - Regression to determine how many testers I need Using Minitab Software 13
M Japanese rule on EtO residuals in sterilized medical devices? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 16