EO Residual for Sterilization of Implantable Products

akyt

Registered
Hello everyone!

We need to define ethylene oxide residual limits after sterilization for implantable medical-dental products, and I'm not sure about the correct criteria.
The standard ISO 10993-7:2008 offers the following limits:

"Permanent contact devices
[...] The maximum EO dose shall not exceed:
- 4 mg in the first 24 h;
- 60 mg in the first 30 d;
- 2,5 g in a lifetime."

Which of these values should I consider to release my product after the aeration process? 4 mg (in the first 24 h) or 2,5 g (lifetime)?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

akyt

Registered
In our case, our product only applies to the adult population. So the amendment would not apply.
According to the standard, the EO TCL shall not exceed 10 µg/cm² for implants. How can I apply this value to calculate the threshold?

In item G.8.5, the following calculation is given:
mdev, BSC = TCL × A

Our product is very small, approximately 1 cm². Then:
mdev, BSC = 10 x 1 = 10 mg/product

Would it be this? Could I consider this value (10 mg/product) as the for EO residual limit?

PS.: After defining the EO limits, I will apply the rationale for the ECH.

planB

Super Moderator
caution: your calculated mass limit based on a device surface of 1 cm² would be 10 _micro_ gram, not 10 _milli_ gram.

akyt

Registered
Sorry, thanks! So it would be 10 µg/ product... :eek:
Instead of using TCL, could I not define it as 4 mg/product, which the standard sets as a maximum for the first 24 hours (initial contact)?

planB

Super Moderator
For permanent implants you have to comply to all these limits _simultaneously_ (except for the TCL, where you also have the option to demonstrate your device being non-irritating as part of your activities in the framework of ISO 10993-1 in case you exceed the defined TCL).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Estimation of overall residual risk. How to? EU Medical Device Regulations 11
Ron Rompen Measurement of residual magnetism General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M ISO 14971:2019: Criteria for overall residual risk ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
D ISO 14971:2019 vs MDR Annex 1, Requirement #4 - "Manufacturers shall inform users of any residual risks" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
K Overall residual risk according to ISO 14971:2019 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
U When do we identify Residual Risk? Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 11
qualprod P x I = Value interpretation for residual risk? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N ETO Sterilisation Validation - EO Residual Minimum Sample Requirement ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Converting ETO Residual Limits from PPM to mg ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L Residual risks which the PMCF study is based on ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
R Looking for service provider to perform residual dirt test, GME7061 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K False Alarms - Residual Risks or New Risk? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
Sam Lazzara ISO 14971 Clause 7 - Evaluation of Overall Residual Risk Acceptability ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
B Residual Risk Acceptability - Where do I get this Data/Figures from? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
F Measurement of (Validation of) Residual Disinfectant in the Air Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
M EO (Ethylene Oxide) and ECH (Ethylene Chlorohydrin) Residual as per ISO 10993-7:2008 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
R Inherent vs. Residual Risk & Significance - ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
S OHS Risk Analysis - What does the 'Risk Rating' refer to? Total or Residual? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
J Overall Residual Risk Procedure based on the 2007 version of ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
Q Residual Dirt Analysis - I have to create a Standard for Residual Dirt Analysis Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
F How do you calculate Overall Residual Risk - Requirement of 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
R Dedicated Chamber / Dedicated load EO sterilization US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
Jessesun The application of ozone sterilization in medical treatment US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
R ETO Sterilization EU Medical Device Regulations 7
validationspec LDPE for EO Sterilization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Gamma Sterilization Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
C Non-sterile reusable surgical instruments - FDA sterilization requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
chris1price Sterilization using beta radiation Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A ISO 13485 Sterilization Clause Applicability ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Orthopedic Implants (Knee system) Sterilization Indicators Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
chris1price Contract Sterilization Service Providers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N Sterilization Protocol Change in Validation Process and further impacts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Sterilization validation after changing sterilization process provider Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
B Sterilization Validation Plan Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
R Scientific Operating Procedures For Sterilization Practices in India PSA/2012/1 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
N Looking for Gamma sterilization facility in China ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Release checklist EO sterilization process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 8
MrTetris Are GLP required for testing cytotoxicity and soil remaining after sterilization of MD? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
Z EN 868-8 "required tests" - Rigid sterilization containers Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Judy Abbott Increase the maximum allowable dose for E-beam sterilization Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
H EO Sterilization Validation - Sterility Testing and Load Configuration Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
A Reprocessing, Cleaning, Disinfection and Sterilization Validation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
W EO sterilization and pallets Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
M Informational Device Shortages Update – The US FDA Announces Two New Innovation Challenges on Device Sterilization Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
W EO sterilization - what about the pallet? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B Sterilization of a custom medical device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Informational US FDA – Device Shortages Update: Challenges to encourage the development of new approaches to device sterilization Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
xcanals_tecno-med.es Qualification of sterilization indicators as medical devices with the EU MDR 2017/745 EU Medical Device Regulations 7
G Pyrogen Test - Sterilization Validation - MDR 2017/745 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
S Sterilization Site Move - Dec 2018 FDA Guidance Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1