EQMS - When the internet or system might not be available

duff999

Involved In Discussions
I have a question regarding eQMS. We are in the process of establishing our QMS electronically and would like some feedback regarding what to do in a backup situation, where the internet or system might not be available. Do folks handle this offline somehow via a backup, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
To me this is a business continuity planning topic. I would look at it from a risk perspective based on outage time. E.g. what are the risks if connectivity is lost for:
  • 10 minutes?
  • 1 hour?
  • 1 day?
  • 1 week?
  • Permanent loss of data (i.e., the eQMS hosts really messed up badly or suddenly went out of business)?
And then, subdivide into:
  • Local ISP / street wiring issue
  • Major internet backbone outage
  • eQMS hosting outage
  • eQMS business failure
So, if its intolerable to be disconnected from eQMS for a day or more due to local phone pole being down, maybe you plan for installing cellular backup connectivity to the internet onto your office router.

You mentioned having backups of the eQMS. Even if you have the backups, will they be in a format that is accessible? Updateable? That's unlikely. Maybe instead you plan for paper forms until the system is up again and then enter all the paper data into the eQMS?

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
There are usually 2 options with such systems: locally hosted or cloud hosted. If hosted in the cloud, it's virtually impossible to lose access (if it's a reasonable provider with mirror sites geographically distributed) other that what @Tagin mentions about going out of business. Locally hosted is where such issues may be more likely realized and @Tagin gave good advice. Take preventive actions commensurate with the risk.

Tagin

Good information, thank you. What to do if your in an audit and there is an outage? Any advice for planning?
Again, from a risk perspective - what is at risk if there is an outage during an audit? Major NC? loss of certification? Or will the auditor allow for exceptional circumstances and reschedule the unfinished portion? What is the likelihood of an outage during that audit day (or days)?

Based on your responses, you might want to make sure to always have local copies of all current QMS docs, and maybe copies of records that might be audited. It's going to depend on your unique circumstances.

duff999

Involved In Discussions
Good points again. I think I was driving towards having some sort of retrievable storage location for the documents, records, etc. I appreciate the feedback. I wasn't sure if that was a requirement.

Tagin

Good points again. I think I was driving towards having some sort of retrievable storage location for the documents, records, etc. I appreciate the feedback. I wasn't sure if that was a requirement.
I don't know of such a requirement. However, if your plan calls for maintaining local copies of docs, records, etc., then I expect that your document control process has to be extended to cover those as well.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
We kept a single printed copy of the QMS as well as SDS's to cover us for power outages...
Cloud host is wonderful...but is useless if you don't have power to the computer, or the internet connection...
A single copy got the job done...and was only ever used once in 10yrs...for an OSHA audit to prove we still had access to SDS's for workers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Rules for Paper Forms outside of an eQMS - 3 Questions (ISO 13485) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
F Grand Avenue Software, Q-Pulse or Qualio - which for a full eQMS? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
T EQMS for small medical device company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
K EQMS provider's pledge to COVID-19 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
S Validation of eQMS - Cloud based out of the box solution Other Medical Device Related Standards 18
S EQMS solution (Greenlight Guru and Q-Pulse currently being explored) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 8
K EQMS question - Implementing an electronic QMS to support ISO 13485:2016 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
D eQMS/ERP System Admin Work Instructions - Where do they fit? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
I How much does an eQMS (Electronic/Software QMS) cost? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
J Implementing a TrackWise eQMS System Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
L AS9100 - Infrastructure or Product? Inflight internet connectivity network AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Informational EU-U.S. COOPERATION Exploring trade opportunities, from medical devices to the Internet of Things Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
A Internal Audit - Findings - Recent Internet Audit (Prior to Certification) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
Marc Will you have an Internet Connected (IoT) Toilet? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Marc DOD, DHS and NASA Are Driving Adoption of Internet of Things Sensors IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
Marc Has anyone here gotten Gigabyte Fiberoptics (Internet) to home? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Marc Over 2,300 MS-DOS games now completely free to play at Internet Archive Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc Which Internet Social Groups do you participate in? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 58
Marc Deep-sea streaming: 500-mile NEPTUNE cabling brings Internet to the ocean floor After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Ah, the internet in 2014... Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 18
A Generating Purchase Orders - Orders made over the Internet or a Phone ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Marc Number of People on the Internet in 1996 vs. 2013 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
M So you want an internet ready car? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
AnaMariaVR2 What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Wes Bucey Slow Internet Connection After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
AnaMariaVR2 FDA takes action against thousands of illegal Internet pharmacies US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
P Options for getting TV/Cable stations programming over the Internet After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
P Internet Medical Device Distribution applied to Internet/Catalog Shops Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
Stijloor Google Chrome Internet Browser - Any Google Chrome users? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 21
ScottK The Internet has been a blessing and a curse for Job Hunters Career and Occupation Discussions 8
V Internet Portal for QMS Interface Service Industry Specific Topics 7
L Exhaustive list of quality based magazines and internet sites needed Career and Occupation Discussions 2
Marc Questions about the Internet circa 1994 on NBC's "The Today Show" After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
L Audit for an Internet Marketing Company General Auditing Discussions 3
P Internet service that doesn't cost over $50/month After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 23
Marc Chattanooga, TN becomes home to 1Gbps internet service - Beats Google After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
A Online Internet Training question - Has anyone used AccelCert Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
Marc A sort of Automotive Internet World News 3
Marc All Sorts of Stuff! The Internet Archive Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
Ajit Basrur Websites that changed the Internet Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
Marc Newsweek admits how wrong they were about the internet After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Jim Wynne Tech Guy Radio: Woman Wants Help in Getting Her Stolen Internet Connection Back After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Marc Google Plans Internet That's 100 Times Faster than current Broadband After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Crusader Company Policy about Internet Usage and Access Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
Stijloor Internet Explorer 8 - Annoying Reminder After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 23
T Webcam Internet Consulting Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Jim Wynne Be Careful What You Say on the Internet Career and Occupation Discussions 27
T Monitoring Kids Internet surfing After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
Jim Wynne Wilson, NC Establishes Municipal Phone/Internet Service After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Marc Time Warner - Bandwidth Cap Screw - Beware Internet 'brown-outs'? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2