Equipment List - Control or not to Control (Controlled Documents)

A

andymitch

Hi all, first post on here.

I'm trying to establish if an equipment list has to be a controlled document?
This document is a populated blank template (which is not controlled) but can be amended several times prior to being completed and finally submitted.
Is it only when it is finally complete that it should become a controlled document?
and does the initial template require to be controlled also?

thanks for any response!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Re: Control or not to control

Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

I can't think of any requirement to make an equipment list a controlled document. What purpose would that serve for you?

If it's a list of inspection equipment and the respective calibration requirements, then that sounds like something that needs change control. Same kind if thing goes for manufacturing equipment and its various safety, chemical, installation, PM and/or calibration requirments. But a list, by itself, to me is just a list.

I'm happy to see if anyone disagrees with me and why.

B

Boscoeee

This document is a populated blank template (which is not controlled) but can be amended several times prior to being completed and finally submitted.
Is it only when it is finally complete that it should become a controlled document?

thanks for any response!
There is no requirement other than perhaps a good business requirement to control an equipment list!

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

thanks for any response!
And submitted to whom ... ?
I rather will have an asset register maintained which will have several other details apart from just the list of equipment. When I say maintained it means controlled.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Does this list affect your QMS? If so, it should be controlled...somewhat like a flow chart, or an org chart I would imagine. We have equipment lists for financial and maintenance functions, QMS not so much.

My question would be the use of a template that is not controlled. Why? Do you worry about someone accidently changing the "template" by accident like overwriting it with a partially completed document without thinking about it, and then your template is gone?

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

thanks for any response!
Does this list reside in a software tool too? I mean a tool for maintenances scheduling or something like that. You can control several lists in this way, by controlling the access to the system ( given to authorized personnel, who has precise ownership). Whether an equipment is obsolete, you can put off and comment on the system or whether you have to introduce a new equipent, you can create a procedure to do so.
Just having a list in word, it does not seem "value added".
:bigwave:

A

andymitch

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I appreciate it. :agree1:
The document is a list of equipment which is populated from an asset register. This list is then submitted to client where it can be amended several times before being agreed upon. The final list is then issued for use when completed.
So with the list going to client surely it should be controlled as well as being checked for adequacy prior to issue?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Andy, it sounds to me that what you actually have there is a report that was generated from your asset database. It's a report, you can re-run it at anytime? If this is the case, I wouldn't worry about controlling it.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Andy, it sounds to me that what you actually have there is a report that was generated from your asset database. It's a report, you can re-run it at anytime? If this is the case, I wouldn't worry about controlling it.
Agree with what Steelmaiden said above.
My previous answer went towards that direction:bigwave:

My Previous post:
Does this list reside in a software tool too? I mean a tool for maintenances scheduling or something like that. You can control several lists in this way, by controlling the access to the system ( given to authorized personnel, who has precise ownership). Whether an equipment is obsolete, you can put off and comment on the system or whether you have to introduce a new equipent, you can create a procedure to do so.
Just having a list in word, it does not seem "value added".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Q AS9120 Vendor of ESD Monitoring Equipment needs to be in the Approved Supplier List? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
A Quality Plan - Inspection method, equipment list for inspection of a Spur Gear Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J TS 16949 requirements for an internal laboratory equipment list IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P Is there a requirement for an Approved Equipment List? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Standard Equipment List for Stocking a Dimensional Metrology Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
B List of PED (Pressure Equipment Directive) Certified Material Suppliers needed Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 17
L Internal Audit Check List for Passive Medical Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Approved Supplier List - R & D, Capital Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Approved Supplier List vs. Auctions - One-Time Equipment Buys ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A Machine/Equipment Maintenance List ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D DQ documents of new equipment - Function specification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
R MSA studies for Heat Treatment Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
J Class Fixed ME Equipment (US Deviation) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
P Manufacturing equipment (e.g.: Dental Welder): medical device or not? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Infrastructure: Equipment, Work Environment and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Are Electrical Laparoscopic Surgical Devices ME equipment? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Definition of "Critical Laboratory Equipment"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T How to “validate/qualify” a new measurement equipment? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Software validation in Medical Equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 20
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Handling of contaminated medical equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
T Confirming The Local Safety Regulations for Equipment - I'm in Malaysia General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B IEC 60601 Cl. 8.4.3 - ME EQUIPMENT intended to be connected to a power source by a plug / Plug discharge IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Y Packaging validation for non-sterile Medical Equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
E Equipment Qualification - IQ/OQ per ISO 13485:2016 section 7.5.6 Process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A Contraindication Safety Statement in website - Radiotherapy equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
B What is 'equipment'? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K USB DC operated medical equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F Faulty Equipment and ISO 17025 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N New (Upgraded Technology) vs Existing Equipment - Measurements Shift Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
G Is impact test according to IEC 60601-1 applicable for HAND-HELD equipment if also classified as BODY-WORN? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
S Maintaining Equipment Records - We use a manual system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
P Scope of application for IEC 60601-1-11 Medical electrical equipment — Part 1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
C Does ISO 9001-2015 have a requirement for manufacturing equipment to be numbered? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Which pieces of equipment require equipment validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Validation of existing equipment - Risk based approach example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
D Validation of existing equipment - I have been asked to write a quality assessment for equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
D Does every piece of equipment used in a laboratory need to have an IQ protocol written and executed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Marking of Medical Electrical equipment and accessories - Cl. 7.2.2 "Identification" and Cl. 7.2.4 "Accessories" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D How to create IQ, OQ, PQ protocol for existing equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 2