Equipment Mobility - Transfer of manufacturing lines to a different location

Hi covers,

We are performing transfer of manufacturing lines to a different location and as part of that we need to perform IQ, OQ, and PQ activity.

Right now we are at IQ stage. As a QE, I had a discussion with ME and Cal. team as to what equipment mobility requires. We are not quite clear on this one.

Any experienced Covers can shed some light on this one?

Also, our WI says we need to perform pre and post move calibration if we find the equipment non-mobile.

Thanks in advance for your input

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Not medical, but my bet is it's essentially the same if the equipment not mobile (e.g. big surface plates) in that everything has to go through IQ, OQ, and PQ: PPAP Clarification - Tooling Transfers

Not to mention the location of the equipment - Is it used on the line? A small controlled environment lab?

Hopefully an "FDA type" person can correct me if I'm wrong.

Not medical, but my bet is it's essentially the same if the equipment not mobile (e.g. big surface plates) in that everything has to go through IQ, OQ, and PQ:
Not to mention the location of the equipment - Is it used on the line? A small controlled environment lab?

Hopefully an "FDA type" person can correct me if I'm wrong.
It is used on a line.

We are having multiple discussions regarding mobility and its link to Calibration.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I'm not aware of an FDA guidance for moving facilities. I think you'll have to treat the new facility as a brand new one. This is just my general knowledge - I haven't researched it lately and I don't have direct experience in a similar situation.

Cheers,
Ronen.

M

Metron

Has a change control been initiated?
This should have all been captured within this document.
I assume all calibrations were performed pre-move to assure any processes performed at its original location were done with a qualified, calibrated unit.
once moved/ installed an additional post-move calibration would be required along with a full qualification.
this assures all aspects of the unit are operational in its new location.

A

albridgeuk

The regulators expect you to validate once you are re-sited. You can mitigate this by using a risk assessment to define exactly what will or will not be affected by the move. However, it is often best practice to revalidate.

Pre-calibration is usually only done to give you confidence that the item is currently serviceable. It does not assist in any other way and is not mandatory.
The only difference between portable and static item calibration is the periodicity between calibrations.

Static items mounted to robust worktops (surface plates, dead weight testers, etc) can actually be extended to 5 years between calibrations. There again fragile test instruments can require pre-use calibration.
It is up to the user to build up the calibration history data, and use that as justification for progressively extending (or reducing) the periodicity of calibration. That is the set up the regulators look for.

Moving qualified equipment means qualifying the new site;
Utility loadings - RFI freedom - EMI freedom - Climatic conditions - access product - access personnel - cross contamination possibilities.
Then all the rest of the equipment functionality tests and inspections.

Alex

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y We found out we have been using a equipment without validation for past 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
I Equipment service dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Missing measuring equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
A Looking for a third party to calibrate our measure equipment - South Carolina General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D New Equipment form / template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
W Protective earth for Class I ME equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D DQ documents of new equipment - Function specification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
R MSA studies for Heat Treatment Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
J Class Fixed ME Equipment (US Deviation) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
P Manufacturing equipment (e.g.: Dental Welder): medical device or not? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Infrastructure: Equipment, Work Environment and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Are Electrical Laparoscopic Surgical Devices ME equipment? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Definition of "Critical Laboratory Equipment"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T How to “validate/qualify” a new measurement equipment? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Software validation in Medical Equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 20
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Handling of contaminated medical equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
T Confirming The Local Safety Regulations for Equipment - I'm in Malaysia General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B IEC 60601 Cl. 8.4.3 - ME EQUIPMENT intended to be connected to a power source by a plug / Plug discharge IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Y Packaging validation for non-sterile Medical Equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
E Equipment Qualification - IQ/OQ per ISO 13485:2016 section 7.5.6 Process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A Contraindication Safety Statement in website - Radiotherapy equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
B What is 'equipment'? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K USB DC operated medical equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F Faulty Equipment and ISO 17025 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N New (Upgraded Technology) vs Existing Equipment - Measurements Shift Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
G Is impact test according to IEC 60601-1 applicable for HAND-HELD equipment if also classified as BODY-WORN? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
S Maintaining Equipment Records - We use a manual system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
P Scope of application for IEC 60601-1-11 Medical electrical equipment — Part 1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
C Does ISO 9001-2015 have a requirement for manufacturing equipment to be numbered? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Which pieces of equipment require equipment validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Validation of existing equipment - Risk based approach example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
D Validation of existing equipment - I have been asked to write a quality assessment for equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
D Does every piece of equipment used in a laboratory need to have an IQ protocol written and executed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Marking of Medical Electrical equipment and accessories - Cl. 7.2.2 "Identification" and Cl. 7.2.4 "Accessories" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D How to create IQ, OQ, PQ protocol for existing equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6