Equipment Qualification - IQ/OQ per ISO 13485:2016 section 7.5.6 Process validation

ECHO

Starting to get Involved
I haven't spent much time working in manufacturing and I was hoping someone could help me understand a bit more about equipment qualification.

Having read a number of existing threads, I understand that per ISO 13485:2016 section 7.5.6, process validation is only required when "the resulting output cannot be or is not verified by subsequent monitoring or measurement".

1. If a MPI (Manufacturing Process Instructions) requires someone to cut a wire to length using a ruler/caliper (calibrated), does the ruler need an IQ/OQ?
My first thought is IQ would be covered by the calibration and the OQ would be required. I am thinking that the OQ will mainly be discussing rather the ruler is "appropriate" for this task. However, if the MPI later verifies the length of the wire using the same ruler, does this mean IQ/OQ can now be justified as not necessary?

2. How about fixtures that aid in the manufacturing process, like a microscope for soldering? or a clamp fixture that helps in the soldering process?

Again, I am pretty new to the regulations around manufacturing and please excuse me if these are simple questions. I am thankful for any help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
First, make a distinction between manufacturing (production) processes, and measurement/monitoring.
IQ, OQ, PQ, ISO 13485 s. 7.5.6 etc. apply to the former only.

Second, I recommend that you look at IQ and OQ (to the extent necessary) in a complete specific production step context, rather than in a single equipment item context. In your example, think how you will validate the soldering process, not the microscope or the clamp (they will come in as possible factors, through the soldering process risk analysis).

Tidge

Quite Involved in Discussions
Ronen E makes two excellent points. I will echo that (in the context of medical device manufacturing*) validation is for processes, not for measurement or monitoring equipment.

The methodology for using measurement equipment has to be appropriate: This is referred to as "test method validation". Only extremely rarely have I seen anyone question straightforward methodologies such as using a gradiated rule to measure linear distances, but for less obvious test methodolgies you can conform to accepted (industry) standards maintained by ASTM, etc. Equipment used in test methods needs to be calibrated and maintained. Potentially absurd examples: No one would question the use of a stopwatch to measure (appropriate intervals of) time, but if the stop watch is used to measure fluid flow, you can believe that there had better be a validated test method backing that up.

Specific to the question about a piece of manufacturing equipment that is supporting a process (such as a clamp used to assist hand-soldering): There are questions like: Is the tool always required, and if so what are the different adjustments of the tool? This would likely be worth exploring through OQ because it is variability you explicitly designed into the process. If the use of the tool is left up to the discretion of operators, then this sort of thing is probably best explored through the PQ challenging different operators and/or individual techniques.

As a one-time certified assembler of PCB and cable assemblies, I'd subject adjustable temperature soldering irons to the OQ, but simply identify the ancillary equipment allowed within the procedure and examine the variability due to trained operators and techniques to the PQ.

(*) NB: There is a slight difference in IQ/OQ/PQ terminology between pharma and medical device manufacturing process validation. All of this discussion is distinct from medical device design validation.

LUFAN

Starting to get Involved
First, make a distinction between manufacturing (production) processes, and measurement/monitoring.
IQ, OQ, PQ, ISO 13485 s. 7.5.6 etc. apply to the former only.
Would sub-processes of injection molding be required for process validation? Obviously, the molding itself is a no brainer, but say the DI Water system used in the manufacturing process of a stamper which ultimately is used in the molding process?

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
DI Water system used in the manufacturing process of a stamper
Not sure what exactly you refer to. By "stamper", do you mean the injection moulding tool?
There is no explicit requirement to validate the production of production equipment (other than supplier qualification). You do need to look into the resultant production equipment itself, yes (typically in IQ).

Ronen E makes two excellent points. I will echo that (in the context of medical device manufacturing*) validation is for processes, not for measurement or monitoring equipment.

The methodology for using measurement equipment has to be appropriate: This is referred to as "test method validation". Only extremely rarely have I seen anyone question straightforward methodologies such as using a gradiated rule to measure linear distances, but for less obvious test methodolgies you can conform to accepted (industry) standards maintained by ASTM, etc. Equipment used in test methods needs to be calibrated and maintained. Potentially absurd examples: No one would question the use of a stopwatch to measure (appropriate intervals of) time, but if the stop watch is used to measure fluid flow, you can believe that there had better be a validated test method backing that up.

Specific to the question about a piece of manufacturing equipment that is supporting a process (such as a clamp used to assist hand-soldering): There are questions like: Is the tool always required, and if so what are the different adjustments of the tool? This would likely be worth exploring through OQ because it is variability you explicitly designed into the process. If the use of the tool is left up to the discretion of operators, then this sort of thing is probably best explored through the PQ challenging different operators and/or individual techniques.

As a one-time certified assembler of PCB and cable assemblies, I'd subject adjustable temperature soldering irons to the OQ, but simply identify the ancillary equipment allowed within the procedure and examine the variability due to trained operators and techniques to the PQ.

(*) NB: There is a slight difference in IQ/OQ/PQ terminology between pharma and medical device manufacturing process validation. All of this discussion is distinct from medical device design validation.

It was good to read a detailed answer. Being new to manufacturing, I also struggle with equipment validation and sub-processes like software validation and don't know what should they really check in regard to SW in equipment.
Quality engineers in my plants do some SW validation as part of FAT and SAT where they do not challenge the system and very much depends upon vendor assessment. They feel it's good enough since the output samples are already verified. It is difficult for them to see SW as a separate entity and thinks that it is integrated into HW and if we are validating a system during process validation then there is no need to do extra work.
SW validation documentation is also integrated with process validation and every change is managed through change management.
I guess, my question is more about their thought process. I have been an SW developer myself and know very well, how the coding happens and how the developer thinks so my trust is very limited. How do I explain the importance of running thorough SW validation in equipment?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D ISO 13485 - Equipment validation , qualification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
P CMM Equipment Validation and Qualification Approach ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M Chosing a procedure title - "Validation of equipment" or "Qualification of equipment" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
C Equipment Qualification of a CNC Mill Center ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
W Qualification of Design Verification Equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
V Is non-conformance (incident) required for any observation in equipment qualification Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
G Determining Sample Size for Equipment Qualification Studies Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 10
H Cooling Equipment Qualification for Medical Device Manufacturing EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Risk Assessments, Packaging Qualification and Equipment Modifications Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
V At what Stage of Equipment Qualification (IQ-OQ-PQ), must we sign-off the SOP? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
C Equipment Purchase Procedure which includes Qualification of Manufacturers Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
W Mobile equipment qualification? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Process Qualification, Equipment Qualification, Operator Qualification - Sequence? Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
R Equipment / Utility Qualification Flow Requirements Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
S Details to be covered under Equipment Qualification for Pharmaceutical Products? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
M Process Validation and Qualification of Legacy Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Process Validation/Equipment Qualification - Class 1A (Sterile) Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
E Equipment Qualification - IQ, OQ and PQ Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
D Definition of equipment for ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Confusing on Harmonic Emissions/Voltage Fluctuations/Flicker test for CISPR 11 Class A Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Equipment Register related question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Y We found out we have been using a equipment without validation for past 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
I Equipment service dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Missing measuring equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
A Looking for a third party to calibrate our measure equipment - South Carolina General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D New Equipment form / template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
W Protective earth for Class I ME equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D DQ documents of new equipment - Function specification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
R MSA studies for Heat Treatment Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Class Fixed ME Equipment (US Deviation) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
P Manufacturing equipment (e.g.: Dental Welder): medical device or not? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Infrastructure: Equipment, Work Environment and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Are Electrical Laparoscopic Surgical Devices ME equipment? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Definition of "Critical Laboratory Equipment"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T How to “validate/qualify” a new measurement equipment? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Software validation in Medical Equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 20
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Handling of contaminated medical equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
T Confirming The Local Safety Regulations for Equipment - I'm in Malaysia General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B IEC 60601 Cl. 8.4.3 - ME EQUIPMENT intended to be connected to a power source by a plug / Plug discharge IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3