Equipment URS, pFMEA and dFMEA

Hi everybody,
I work as manufacturing engineer and i have a project to build an automated equipment for assemble one of the products. I’m not sure about the stages that i should follow related to risk management (we use pFMEA for risk analysis).
We have dFMEA for every product.
What should go first: writing the pFMEA and then i should write the equipment user requirements? or maybe the opposite way?
How i make the link between the dFMEA and pFMEA?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
I am assuming a top-level Hazard Analysis with subordinate documents which include FMEA.

1) You need to establish (a) if there are any elements of the design which require specific manufacturing processes to either control risks (such as sterilization) or (b) to guarantee that the device's requirements are satisfied (such as calibration). These should be identified in the design FMEA, or at least the risks will be obvious in the Hazard Analysis. Such necessary manufacturing process steps will be invite remarks like "The device won't be safe/won't work unless this is done in manufacturing."

2) You should look at the manufacturing processes to understand if (a) what the impact to the risk profile of the device could be if the process results in "out of specification" (sub)components and finished goods, and (b) what (if any) manufacturing process steps could damage a (sub)component or finished good. The vernacular around these types of manufacturing process steps will be something like "please just make the device as designed, and don't break it during manufacturing."

The elements of (2a) are essentially understood via process validation and monitored via control charts. The elements of (2b) require slightly more critical thinking and analysis. For example, many manufacturers implement a "burn-in" process for certain devices to reveal "bathtub curves"... but the curve itself should be understood for the device to understand that such a test isn't unreasonably shortening the expected life of the product.

For all of the above, you will have lines of analysis in a PFMEA, but they will likely trace directly to the HA, although some cross-referencing for the DFMEA for the points in (1) can be expected.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
I will provide some (possibly, seemingly random) thoughts on this question:
Does machine URS should be written before or after process risk analysis?
Manufacturing process requirements should be derived from device design requirements. The risk analysis process for medical devices begins earlier than the establishment of manufacturing methods. Risk analysis will occur parallel with other Design History File activities, but typically elements of an established design will dictate the necessary production activities.

A key element of risk analysis is the iterative nature of risk analysis; this is how particular choices in manufacturing can appropriately find themselves referenced in a risk analysis (as potential contributors to risk) even if those choices were not established as risk controls as design elements for the device.

Minor digression follows:

A 14971-compliant risk analysis is only concerned with patient/user risk (modulo some vague extra wording about "environment" and "other stakeholders") but risk controls for other risks (e.g. business risk due to scrap, the safety of manufacturing equipment operators). Fussy disciples of 14971 may insist that you leave references to such controls out of a process FMEA. My opinion is that such controls ought to be included in PFMEA, since:
  • a majority of medical device manufacturers won't have any other document preserving information about the origin/purpose of such controls, and
  • when a manufacturing process change is proposed (for any reason, including "non-DMR" reasons) the pFMEA for the process is likely to be one of the few documents that is examined
It is typically not appropriate to claim any reduction of risk (in the 14971 context) for such risk controls. However, there has been a significant increase in the expectation by third parties to find"line-by-line" (or "individual") analyses for each risk control anyway, so it makes complete sense to me that a manufacturer could included (in a pFMEA supporting a 14971-inspired analysis) and simply make it clear that these controls are not implemented to reduce risks to patients/user.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Need advice on what inspection equipment to buy. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q What is considered "Multimedia equipment" (60601-1-2 section 7.1.3) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
V Is it required to recalibrate reference- standard instruments after equipment qualification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
armani Monitoring and measuring equipment for occupational health and safety purposes Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
P Type of MSA study according to measurement equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Rene Minassian Control of (TMME) Testing and Measurement Equipment Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
M Cameras and Visual Inspection Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
JoeRandom11 Question about Customer Supplied Equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C Equipment IQ and OQ ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
D PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in the UK CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
D Recommendations for equipment used to validate cold storage units General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T PFMEA vs MFMEA or DFMEA on equipment/machinery FMEA and Control Plans 19
E Brass in medical equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
G QSB+ : capability of measurement equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
M Gage R&R automated test equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
G Developing our custom test methods and test equipment US Medical Device Regulations 5
E Compressed air quality in ME equipment (used in OR) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M ISO 17025:2017 Clause 6.4 - Measuring Equipment Validity ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
W Strategy for determining which components from a system should be "ME EQUIPMENT" -- home healthcare environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
M Do i need to have equipment validation if 100% testing is completed? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
K Brazil (INMETRO) for Medical Electrical and IVD Equipment? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Y Creating Equipment qualification protocol Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
R Suggest modern equipment/instrument for plastic bottle inspection? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
S Certification of equipment after move General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
B Building my own measurement equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Process Capability - Determining the process capability of certain equipment Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
W Classes and Applied Part IEC60601 Electromedical Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A PPAP Alternate Equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Q Measurement Equipment Revocation - Looking for a Disposal Form with Risk Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
E Comparison of Personal Protective Equipment Standards EN 14605 vs GB24539 and ISO 13982 vs GB 24539 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 0
E Comparison of Respiratory Protective Equipment Standards (China Standard Compare with EU standard of EN149 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
M Calibration of equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P 7.5.10 Customer property - applies to leased/rented equipment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Class I Equipment with mobile power inverter IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
U Calculate acceptance of equipment reading after calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
W Equipment Bracketing Approach US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
H Still having trouble as to what equipment falls under 8.5.1.1 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J Register of the monitoring and measuring equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B Do CTQs need to be equipment specific? FMEA and Control Plans 8
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Revalidation of Process Equipment for Equipment Transfered to New Facility. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
V Clause 7.1.3.1 Plant, facility, and equipment planning Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
A Canadian Safety Labels for medical electrical equipment Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
D Question on equipment - when to use reference only or research only stickers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Gage RandR on automated equipment. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
W How long do you keep information about equipment no longer used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2