Ergonomics - Human Hand - Maximum force - Wheel/Flywheel - Help ASAP :)

M

mitch37

Hi guys..let me keep this short

I am looking for the maximum force a human hand can exert (perhaps speed aswell) while turning a wheel/chainwheel.

Just helping out one of my friends who is a mechanical engineer, and i am an industrial engineer, but havent come across this particular ergonomic figure:thanx:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Can anyone help with this one that 'slipped through the cracks'?

M

mitch37

lol @ slipped through the cracks...for some reason this standard seems to be nowhere?

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
According to The Measure of Man and Woman, on hand-wheels for vehicles, valves or tools, the optimum ergonomic rim force to require is 3 to 5 lbs (13 to 22N). The maximum rim force is 20 lbs (89N) with one hand and 30 lbs (133 N) with two hands.

Wheel diameter should be between 7" (178mm) and 21" (533mm).
Rim diameter should be between 0.75" (19mm) and 1.125" (28mm).

You should recess the hub for safety.

(Luv this book. :D)

Good luck!
Pancho

M

mitch37

thanks so much for the effort...the lady who asked me figured something out but i will forward her these details :):)

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Wouldn't it depend upon the human?

Yes, it does. The book explains that its measurements accommodate the 98% of the US not-disabled population between the 1 percentile and the 99 percentile (pg. 11).

I think that for "Maximum Force" the values given are such that 99% of the population can overcome them to operate the wheel.

Top Bottom