Ergonomics Metrics (Measureables) - Human factors engineering

H

heasx2004

Hello, I am in a lean training and I have and assigment into look ergonomics as a metric.
Any one have any idea?

F

fuzzy

Re: Ergonomics Metrics?

Hello, I am in a lean training and I have and assigment into look ergonomics as a metric.
Any one have any idea?

First and only thoughts would incorporate something like, "repetitive motion injuries per 1000 operator hours" as an example of a sort of standardized metric. Good luck. There may be another forum more geared to Ergonomics that may offer more help...

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy

Super Moderator

First and only thoughts would incorporate something like, "repetitive motion injuries per 1000 operator hours" as an example of a sort of standardized metric. Good luck. There may be another forum more geared to Ergonomics that may offre more help...

Actually ergonomics is a subset of Human factors engineering that relates to the change or modification of the workplace to fit the worker.

Cumulative Trauma Disorders, Repetitive Stess Injuries, Cumulative Stress Injuries, Repetitive motion Injuries and other related terms are those injuries suffered by employees performing repetitive functions for extended periods of time as opposed to specific incident injury like a fall.

This be one of my fields of study ya'll.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator

Yes, it is certainly worthwhile to track the injuries related to ergonomics. But, as far as getting ahead on ergonomics issues, it is worth doing field observations of work in progress to see if good ergonomics practices are being utilized, and also to inspect equipment. We had an ergonomist go out with a video camera, which was very telling.

From a numeric perspective, you could set up a checklist of various ergonomic factors you ought to see on the jobsite, and go do observations and see how many items are met, or how many are violated. You could then make Pareto charts of the various causes and locations, and also run p-chart control charts to see if things improve.

Randy

Super Moderator
P

potdar

Any one have any idea?

What you are looking for is something known as MURI by the Japanese. This is the waste aspect of poor ergonomic design of a workplace rather than the safety aspect. Scratch all safety related measures from your consideration.

While implementing lean, after eliminating MUDA and MURA, next wost enemy is the MURI. Just try measuring the improvement in productivity when your operator starts using both hands instead of one (or your typing speed on the computer for that matter). What happens when you automate the feed of a hand fed machine.

Just choose the closest metric to the siuation you are considering in your project amongst so many that will pop-up in your mind.

Randy

Super Moderator

Scratch all safety related measures from your consideration.

You just advised this person of something that is some areas of this country and others might place him in a legal bind (criminal or civil). Whatever the MURI, MUDI, MURA or whatever to exclude employee safety from the equation is a no-no. This could also hold true in Canada.

P

potdar

You just advised this person of something that is some areas of this country and others might place him in a legal bind (criminal or civil). Whatever the MURI, MUDI, MURA or whatever to exclude employee safety from the equation is a no-no. This could also hold true in Canada.

Aww..

Thats illegal and criminal and uncivilised. Thats true for all countries where law exists. But how come it never features in the Quality Objectives of the n thousand organisations that you have certified? How come they only start bothering about these figures only when they wake up to 18000?

When we are talking lean, we are talking lean. Not law or safety. Lets have our metrics relevant to the scope of the project.

Of course, if it cools you, nothing illegal or knowingly unsafe is going to be foisted on the employees in the name of lean. That is not going to improve their performance and improve leanness. You have studied it in detail.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource

How come they only start bothering about these figures only when they wake up to 18000?

Who is "they"?

Are you talking about industry in India? Or world wide?

This is not the first time that you have made what sounded like world wide negative judgements, perhaps you could share with us some biographical information, your resume, so to speak. I would like to learn a little about your qualifications in world affairs since you speak so authoritatively on them.

Top Bottom