SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Error in ANOVA table in the AIAG MSA manual? Table A4

K

keithljelp

Hello,

In the ANOVA tables in the AIAG MSA Manual's; 3rd and 4th the F-value for the data in table 24, is 79.41 for Appraiser and 492.29 for Parts. My question is where did they get these numbers? I was taught to take the MSE-sub appraiser/MSE-sub within to calculate the F-value. Well, 1.58363/0.04598 is 34.44171 by my trusty HP 42S and 34.440 with I use R.

Am I missing something here???

Thanks,

Keith

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Error in ANOVA table in the AIAG MSA manual? Table 24

Hello,

In the ANOVA tables in the AIAG MSA Manual's; 3rd and 4th the F-value for the data in table 24, is 79.41 for Appraiser and 492.29 for Parts. My question is where did they get these numbers? I was taught to take the MSE-sub appraiser/MSE-sub within to calculate the F-value. Well, 1.58363/0.04598 is 34.44171 by my trusty HP 42S and 34.440 with I use R.

Am I missing something here???

Thanks,

Keith
MSA Experts?

Thanks.

Stijloor.

Rameshwar25

Quite Involved in Discussions
using MSA 4th manual and after analysing worksheet examples from Elsmar.com, i have understood that:
F(Appraiser)=MS (Appraiser)/MS(App by part)= 1.58363/0.01994=79.41
F(Parts)=MS (Partsr)/MS(App b y part)= 9.81799/0.01994=492.29

Refer following text from MSA manual, page 105

" F-ratio column is calculate only.......... It is determined by the mean square value of interaction devided by mean square error."

I think it will do.
Rameshwar

K

keithljelp

Y'all,

Thanks for the info. I missed the errata.

Could someone point me to a detailed discussion of AIAG's reasoning. I am not sold just because they said so. I inherently distrust AIAG because of the way they calculate percent total variation. I agree with Dr. Wheeler the math is wrong there.

Thanks,

Keith

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
In this case, AIAG is following the correct approach.

In the standard ANOVA, all factors are considered FIXED. This means that the levels tested are the only levels of interest. In this situation, your calculation of the F - ratio is the correct approach.

However, in a Gage R&R study, the factors are RANDOM. The parts are selected at random to represent all parts. Usually, the operators are selected at random to represent all operators. In this situation, the General Linear Model (GLM) is used instead of ANOVA (yes, the table looks the same). The calculations shown by AIAG in the appendix are the correct calculations for GLM.

You can also have a MIXED model where the parts are random and the operators are fixed (because that all there are). In this situation GLM must also be used.

If you are a Minitab user, Minitab 15 and earlier assume a fully RANDOM model. Minitab 16 allows you to choose between a RANDOM and a MIXED model.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Taguchi Anova Error with Minitab Using Minitab Software 9
J Minitab Error - * ERROR * Unbalanced Design - Unbalanced Anova Using Minitab Software 9
A Minitab ANOVA Error Message - *ERROR* No data in column. Using Minitab Software 3
I Minitab ANOVA Gage R&R Error (vs. EXCEL ANOVA GRR Calculation) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Use Error Risk Controls and Control Verification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
H California Instrument AC Load - 222 Error Message Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
O Problem in Minitab - ERROR * Factor Voltage is highly correlated with other terms Using Minitab Software 10
bobdoering Informational Ndc Calculation Error Caution Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
I IMDS Error Message Question RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
P Pooled Standard Error - Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
R Clinical accuracy and repeatability of IR(infrared) thermometer, no maximum error criteria is recommended in ISO Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Error Proofing Label process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M Measurement Error - How to determine what is acceptable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Jimmy123 What is the difference between Error Proofing and Controls? ISO/IATF 16949 - Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 16
F No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Error trying to Start a New Thread Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
M Trouble with Europa website - Internal Server Error (March 2019) EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Marc Definition MPEE - Maximum Permissible Error for Length Measurement Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
S Need help wrapping my head around confidence vs beta error Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Error proofing ideas sheet metal punches Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
G How to include machine error in uncertainty calculations? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
R Rank Deficiency Error Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
W IMDS - Help (Common Warning and Error Fixes) RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
K Documented problem solving and documented error-proofing - IATF 16949 10.2.3 & 10.2.4 Internal Auditing 7
M Methods of reducing/eliminating the systematic component of error General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
chris1price Error in data recording - Recording measurements in SAP Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
J Hardness inspection Audit Finding Employee error Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
G ANAB ISO 17025 Accreditation - Uncertainty and systematic error? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
shimonv IEC 60601-1-8 - When does an error message become an alarm signal? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 14
E Non Conformity due to Outsourced Internal Audit Error ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
T Human Error vs Technique Root Cause (Categories) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
W Using MPE (Mean Percentage Error) for Linearity and Type-1 study Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
P IATF 16949 Clause 10.2.4 - Error Proofing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 33
K Poka-Yoke for Quantity Shortage caused by Human Error Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
E How to use the Standard Error and how to set the error limits? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
optomist1 Error Mistake Proofing Color Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
T Standard Deviation vs. Standard Deviation of the Mean (Standard Error) Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
Z Adding 1% error to data in a column in Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
N How Can I Prevent A Labeling Error? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Are 'Error Proofing Methods' required to be mentioned in Control Plans? FMEA and Control Plans 7
N Non-conformances due to Human Error Nonconformance and Corrective Action 64
B How to check the parallelism error of v axis w.r.t to lateral surfaces General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C List Error Proofing in the Process FMEA or the Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 2
R Repeatability in MSA - Is repeatability a measure of Location Error Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Error in Master Weighing Stone General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Sample size and type 1-error when use special cause test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
Y No permissible error statement on the thermometer calibration report General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
9 Ideas for reducing Human Error during Order Receipt Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
J Corrective Action Process and Human Error ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5