Error proofing ideas sheet metal punches

Hello all! New here though been searching your site for years.
Great site.

I have searched with little luck trying to get ideas on error proofing (poke yoke) metal cnc punches. Have had some issues with operators loading in parts backwards.

We use amada punches.
Thanks all

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Two common approaches that take advantage of asymmetries in the part would include:
  • Inclusion of a physical obstacle in the holding fixture that will obviously prevent the part from laying flat unless it has been correctly oriented. A sensor can be added to prevent the machine from cycling if the part does not lay flat.
  • Inclusion of a sensor in the holding fixture that looks for the presence or absence of a feature to determine if the part is correctly oriented. Again, the sensor can prevent the machine from cycling if the conditions are not correct.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted
In addition...have you looked at WHY this is happening?

How can the part be stored/delivered to the punch machine in an orientation that makes the right way the easiest to do?

If you have a stack of plates waiting for punching...error proof the queue fixture as well, so the part is already in the correct position even while waiting its turn.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Trusted
Ah. The beauty of hard tooling. :) Turn it into a hard tool in which the part will only fit the proper way.

Your other option is what miner and andy said. You need some type of nest to hold the part properly. Good luck.

Thanks all for the great suggestions.
I come from a cnc machining background where it is easy to error proof fixtures. These punch sheet metal cnc are not as easy I'm finding out since it's harder to put locater pins and such on and this is a job shop (not long running) still some great ideas

AndyN

A problem shared...
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks all for the great suggestions.
I come from a cnc machining background where it is easy to error proof fixtures. These punch sheet metal cnc are not as easy I'm finding out since it's harder to put locater pins and such on and this is a job shop (not long running) still some great ideas
Understood - so, bring you folks together and do some structured problem solving! They will figure it out and "own" the solution...