Error Proofing sensors in PFMEA

Hello to all,

I have some doubts regarding how some control methods should be declared in PFMEA.

Here is the context example as stated in the PFMEA:

- Failure mode:
Tube bent out of specification
- Cause of failure:
Tube placed incorrectly in Bending machine (incorrect position)
- Preventive control
Tube position sensor in bending machine.
- Detection control
Process gage with correct route after Bending process.

In order to validate that the sensor in question is working correctly, I have a Master dummy part that should be detected as NOK position.

So the question is:
In the PFMEA, in the same failure mode "Tube bent out of specification", should I add another cause of failure row stating "Position sensor not working properly" and input the Master dummy part validation as both Prevention/Detection controls?

Because in the control plan, I want to input both controls: the position sensor and it's validation method (Master dummy part).

Thanks in advance for any of your opinions/feedback.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I always encourage using the process failure as the failure mode, and the nonconforming condition as the effect. It is, after all, a Process Failure Mode and Effects exercise. Using your example:

- Failure mode:
Tube placed incorrectly in Bending machine (incorrect position)
- Effect of failure:
Tube bent out of specification

Then the prevention and detection controls that you cite. If you feel that adding to this would be helpful, do it.

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
IATF 16949 10.2.4 Error-proofing
The organization shall have a documented process to determine the use of appropriate error-proofing methodologies. Details of the method used shall be documented in the process risk analysis (such as PFMEA) and test frequencies shall be documented in the control plan.
Answer could be "No", because standard requires literally identifying error-proofing in PFMEA and setting its testing frequency in control plan.
It is assumed, that it won't work someday , therefore it needs to be tested, but ... what about other risks related to manufacturing equipment failures and maintenance as prevention, what about other risks related to unreliable inspection equipment and calibration as prevention? Do you have any? So, based on manufacturing experience some can decide, that maintenance and calibration should be there, then sensor failure deserves mentioning too, I think.
On other hand how often do we see maintenance and calibration in control plan?
In this case standard requires verification of error proofing, so it has to be there.

- Preventive control
Tube position sensor in bending machine.
Not so much details here, to be honest.
There is some imagination of error proofing and every PFMEA team member
could have different.
1. Detection has to be ranked and it is directly connected to this imagination.
2. Follow up revision to verify, that it's implemented within process and expected rank can be kept, requires confrontation of imagination with reality.
So what is imagination of how tube position sensor works and prevents?

In my opinion, it was one of reasons why reverse PFMEA was created.
It can be opportunity to confront PFMEA team imaginations with real manufacturing conditions.
"It is not as we were expecting or not fully folloiwng our imaginations."
This is not a problem of big companies, where a lot people gets involved in process design beyond PFMEA team, but also small one.
"What exactly we were thinking writing it down this way? I don't remember, but I am in charge of this, so I will do it my way."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Error Proofing Label process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Jimmy123 What is the difference between Error Proofing and Controls? ISO/IATF 16949 - Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 16
D Error proofing ideas sheet metal punches Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
K Documented problem solving and documented error-proofing - IATF 16949 10.2.3 & 10.2.4 Internal Auditing 7
P IATF 16949 Clause 10.2.4 - Error Proofing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 33
optomist1 Error Mistake Proofing Color Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Are 'Error Proofing Methods' required to be mentioned in Control Plans? FMEA and Control Plans 7
C List Error Proofing in the Process FMEA or the Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 2
T Error Proofing / Poka-Yoke Textbook by Productivity Inc Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 7
S Manufacturing Error-proofing Packers mixing up which 4 Mats go together in a Kit Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Machine Feature: Is it possible to consider it Error Proofing? FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Error Proofing Workstation FOD (Foreign Objects and Debris) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 7
E Error Proofing to prevent Length Short - CNC Turning Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M Error Proofing Packing Process Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
AnaMariaVR2 Healthcare Focused Error Proofing Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 3
M Label Error Proofing - Mislabeled parts in a small automotive company Manufacturing and Related Processes 25
C Need help error proofing valve. All ideas welcome. Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 31
Q Error Proofing Verification - Layered Audit Question Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 17
S Definition Error Proofing vs. Mistake Proofing - Differences? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 11
C Are Error Proofing Statistics Correct Nonconformance and Corrective Action 20
N Error-proofing tools/methods to suggest? TS16949 Clause 8.5.2.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Definition Error-Proofing vs. Mistake-Proofing - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
C What is Error-Proofing Methods? TS 16949 Clause 7.3.2.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Metal forming - Brake presses - Need error-proofing advice Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
B Definition Error Proofing vs. Programmable Logic Controls (PLCs) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
L Seeking examples - Error-Proofing Methodology - Used with regard to corrective action IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Marc Error Proofing - Brief Powerpoint .ppt files General Information Resources 0
K Compliance of Control Plans to Annex A - Addressing Error Proofing FMEA and Control Plans 13
S TS 16949:2002 - Error Proofing Column Required in Control Plan II FMEA and Control Plans 22
A Error Proofing In Every Corrective Action? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
D Seeking Information on Poka Yoke - Error Proofing Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
Lee Taylor Indentifying human error as a root cause Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 33
Ed Panek How to address a QMS Entry Error ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Melissa CAR is not good enough! Operator Error! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 39
D Use Error Risk Controls and Control Verification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
H California Instrument AC Load - 222 Error Message Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
O Problem in Minitab - ERROR * Factor Voltage is highly correlated with other terms Using Minitab Software 10
bobdoering Informational Ndc Calculation Error Caution Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
I IMDS Error Message Question RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
P Pooled Standard Error - Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
R Clinical accuracy and repeatability of IR(infrared) thermometer, no maximum error criteria is recommended in ISO Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
M Measurement Error - How to determine what is acceptable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
F No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Error trying to Start a New Thread Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
M Trouble with Europa website - Internal Server Error (March 2019) EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Marc Definition MPEE - Maximum Permissible Error for Length Measurement Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
S Need help wrapping my head around confidence vs beta error Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
G How to include machine error in uncertainty calculations? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
R Rank Deficiency Error Minitab Using Minitab Software 7