Escalation Process - IATF 16949 Clause 4.4.1.2

Ajay Akole

Starting to get Involved
As very few of us have the actual IATF document, it would help if the actual text of the requirement was provided.
4.4.1.2 Product Safety
h) defined responsibilities, definition of escalation process and flow of information, including top management, and customer notification;

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
From what I gather, "escalation process" in this section deals with the need to react and bring to the attention of management (and potentially customers) when a concern exists over product integrity.

E.g., the heat treatment furnace might have malfunctioned and we are unsure about the mechanical properties of the brake discs we just processed there, a flag should be raised. Along the lines of "if you know/suspect something is wrong (with the product), say something (to a designated higher up).

From what I gather, "escalation process" in this section deals with the need to react and bring to the attention of management (and potentially customers) when a concern exists over product integrity.
Good afternoon

I am having a tough time with this, I have not found any definition where "escalation process" implies that it is related to a "concern on the product"; I think it sounds obvious, however I think "escalation process" could have other applications, I think the standard is not clear on this. Do you have any assumption that helps support the applicability provided by Sidney?

Regards

Since the section of the standard deals with product safety, what other applications do you have in mind?
Management of product-safety includes: identification of requirements, notifications, special approvals, identification of characteristics, controls at the point of manufacturing and so on.

So I think the standard is not specific in which sense escalation process should apply, it could apply for the approvals, addressing processes out of control, reaction plans or as you said product integrity concerns.

I agree with your approach, however it is not quite straightforward to me.

Marc

Retired Old Goat
Staff member
Admin
In auto-speak in general, "escalation" is any time a process defined a time period in which an action was supposed to be taken and wasn't, or wasn't completed. The issue would be "escalated" to a higher management level to force action. YMMV

In auto-speak in general, "escalation" is any time a process defined a time period in which an action was supposed to be taken and wasn't, or wasn't completed
I agree with you Marc, and also agree with Sidney, I think an escalation process relevant to product safety could be for example: a) when a problem is not address/solved on time, b) when a problem needs to be handled by upper levels personnel, c) could be other approaches.

I think the company is able to define the escalation approach which makes better sense for the product.

I take the opportunity to thank you guys since your feedback has been decisive for my professional growth :)

Best Regards

Top Bottom